Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I live in the suburbs/exburbs of Atlanta. Hot. humid. mosquito laden.

How to fight mosquitos naturally? Don't want to hijack another thread so started a fresh one.

I don't want to spray chemicals if I can avoid it, too much collateral damage - kids, grandkids, brain cells, other living creatures, etc.

The problem is I cant police my neighbors pools of water and other places where mosquitos congregate. So even if doing a good job on my place, the little bastids fly over from next door.

Thinking about bat houses, but maybe bird houses, etc. Bug zapping lights I guess.

Your thoughts?

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
A natural layer of grease keeps em off.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mosquito plants work in a small area

Bat houses.

They’ll eat way more than birds.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Make sure your gutters are not stopped up, holding water.

It’s really a neighborhood effort. To make sure people are not hoarding tires and junk or a pool that no one opened up for the season.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Swallows during the day, bats at night.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Thermacell. When we sit out under the shade tree I bring mine out and fire it up and no mosquitoes. I've never in my life ever seen anything as effective. My wife keeps one in both our cars. If you get one I promise you'll never regret it.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermacell-Portable-Mosquito-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B086X55RWL

Buy it with the jumbo pack of pads and canisters and your set for the summer

Last edited by k20350; 07/01/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Tiki torches

Then the neighbors will think you’re debble worshippers

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Dutch

I think I know her,lol

Marigolds

Last edited by rong; 07/01/20.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rong
Originally Posted by Dutch

I think I know her,lol

Homerun!!!!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
A natural layer of grease keeps em off.

That's bacon grease, right? Just apply liberally and often. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my first house sat right on a nice little canal. 'cept canals move slow so guess what? i never found anything that would keep the skeeters at bay like Cutters. did the bug lights, bat houses, scented candles, geranium, you name it. nuttin works but body spray.

My diploma is a DD214
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Tiki torches

Then the neighbors will think you’re debble worshippers

These here might come over and try to
join in. Lotta border jumpers and
santa ria and headless chickens and such

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
American beauty berry leaves mushed
up and rubbed on works fine and
won't poison you
Or wax myrtle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
I live in the suburbs/exburbs of Atlanta. Hot. humid. mosquito laden.

How to fight mosquitos naturally? Don't want to hijack another thread so started a fresh one.

I don't want to spray chemicals if I can avoid it, too much collateral damage - kids, grandkids, brain cells, other living creatures, etc.

The problem is I cant police my neighbors pools of water and other places where mosquitos congregate. So even if doing a good job on my place, the little bastids fly over from next door.

Thinking about bat houses, but maybe bird houses, etc. Bug zapping lights I guess.

Your thoughts?

Blu Cs,

I'm with you on this one.
I've taught wildlife education and I'm also against harmful chemicals.

I taught a class on environmental factors of bats and human interaction. The Lord provided a live bat several days prior to my lectures..... miraculously.

You mentioned some good ways to get rid of the mosquitoes.

Some will say bug zappers don't kill enough, or that swallows don't swallow enough, that bats only eat so many per minute.....

I say that it's the layered effect that will put a dent in your population. Use every way that works and nothing will be 100%, but every bit helps.

Similar to what I mentioned just now at your other post on the dead birds thread is...
Put up as many bat boxes as you have space. Design them for the desired outcome...proper paint color, placement location, and so on.
Hopefully they will attract a local small variety of skeeter eaters. This should help quite a lot.

Purple Martins and Swallow houses can be bought or designed for daylight mosquitoes. Unfortunately they also eat dragon flies, but unless you have a swamp or pond nearby, theres not likely many dragon flies to begin with.

A street light or strategic light will attract what bats like to eat. But you won't want that overhead light on your porch if you sit outside in the evening.
Use certain essential oils for a natural less risky repelant. Avoid DEET and avoid pymethrins. If I remember correctly they are nerve toxins.
Eat garlic with daily meals. Fresh garlic crushed and lightly cook, grate on vegetable and use on meat dishes.

I could write a couple book chapters on this.
PM me for more details.

Hope that helps you.
☕ 🙂 👍. 🦇🦟🦇🦇🦇🦟🦟🐦

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Quit playing games with the skeeters. Spray a mixture of diesel fuel, Lambda-cyhalothrin and PBO8 every few weeks and you'll have very few skeeters.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've heard, but never tried, that a single clove of garlic eaten a day will keep most insects OFF of one's person. I think I'll pick up a thermacell and compare the two for fun while drinkin' on the patio this summer.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Spartan mosquito traps work great. Got a pond about 100yds off my back deck, haven't been bit this year.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I knew a guy that lived north of Havre, MT that would religiously set up one of those propane traps.

I could not believe how effective it was. If you were on the porch or back deck nothing would touch you. He said the key was having it up and running weeks before you expect the first hatch.

If you've never been along the Hi-Line in prime mosquito season, it is about the worst you can find in the lower 48.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A full bug tamer suit, Thermacell, and drinking lime aid will work. Down here in SFL we have a continual war with those bassturds all year round. The multi-layered approach works best down here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm using traps too for the same reason.
Most people never clean leaves out of their gutters. Skeeters like shelters like porches... where people open the door and let them in, or sit in the evening. I have a natural pesticide in both traps where they lay eggs. So far theres been only one bird death.

It happens, but Rarely do I get bitten. Healthy supplements and garlic.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,862 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.