Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Tried the tape for the first tme. Just put on 3 feathers pronto quick. I'll add a drop of glue at each end. Anybody tried that tape? Looks like it should work, but I can't imagine it has the staying power of fletching glue.

Also, got in my new Bitzenburger with the RH helical. It's much better than my previous fletcher for helicals. Any hints appreciated.

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 07/02/20.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Never tried. Been using Fletch Tite for many years, with my Bitzenberger.

NRA Patron
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I haven't used the tape but hear it works well. I mostly use super glue for everything - carbon, wood, feathers, vanes, etc. I also use a Bitzenburger - both left and right helical. I prefer left for 3 fletch due to how fetching clears the shelf shooting right handed (less wear/tear on fetching). I usually use right helical for everything else mainly because I find the Bitz jig easier to use with right. Lately, I've pretty much gone to 4 fletch with right helical on everything.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I got a Bitz last Christmas, put together some 4-fletch with the tape, and drop of glue at each end. Holding well.

After a few months, I cut the fletching off one of the shafts to do some bare shaft testing, the tape was holding very well.

I found the tape was painfully tedious to cut/fit on the fletches, but it seems to work well.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've been using it for years, and really like it.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Any particular brand of fletch tape better or best?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Try taking the stuff off! I use it, and like it. IMO, the stick on stuff is better than the shrink wrap stuff. I too use a Blitz, and just picked up a new high speed arrow saw. Very good friend, and hunting and fishing partner, works for Pine Ridge Archery. Very large manufacturer of archery accessories. I use the tape he recommends and he supplies me with vanes and glue.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Try taking the stuff off! I use it, and like it. IMO, the stick on stuff is better than the shrink wrap stuff. I too use a Blitz, and just picked up a new high speed arrow saw. Very good friend, and hunting and fishing partner, works for Pine Ridge Archery. Very large manufacturer of archery accessories. I use the tape he recommends and he supplies me with vanes and glue.

Which tape does he recommend and you use?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Pretty much any of the wraps from onestringer.com out of Missouri. Another source is whitewaterarchery.com. I used to dip and crest all my shafts as well, but not anymore since I started using wraps. Pine Ridge has wraps too, but I like a longer wrap, they only make short ones.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Have 2 dozen new Easton 340 FMJ to get ready for the fall too. Haven't even taken the saw out of the box yet!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 07/03/20.

NRA life member

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Don't really know the manufacturer of the wraps, just the source to obtain them. But I can tell you, I've never had one fail. I'll take old ones off to replace them, but only because I want a different look. And they're a bugger to take off!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

NRA life member

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I maybe take shaft prep too far, but the wraps stick! I clean them with warm soapy water and after letting them air dry I wipe them with rubbing alcohol and do my best not to touch them. Then lay the wrap out, put the arrow on it and roll. I've screwed more than one up, but get some right too!

NRA life member

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Confused I am.

You put a wrap on the shaft and then the fletching goes on the wrap?

Do you use fletching tape, and of so which brand do you prefer?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I guess you could call the wraps fletching tape. The wraps stick to the shaft, like tape, then the fletches glue to the wrap. I honestly don't know the "brand" on the wraps, but I know the source to get them. Mostly I go to onestringer.com, they have good tutorials as well. Do you need wraps for the fletches to stick better? No, I don't think so. It's like, do I crest my arrow or not? Sorry, can't tell you a brand like 3M, or something similar. But what I get from onestringer.com has never let me down. And my go to guy is out on Lake Erie right now...

NRA life member

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Guess I confused tape with wraps.

NRA life member

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sorry, my bad! I did confuse fletching tape with wraps. Just educated myself on fletching tape and the couple videos I watched, and articles I read, favor Bohning tape.

NRA life member

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I just tape/glue mine directly to the carbon shaft.

Do the wraps offer any real advantage, or just give the arrow a custom look?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Custom look but bright colored wraps make arrows easier to find when you miss or see your hits on game. One advantage I've found is it makes refletching easier - peel off the wrap and old fletching comes with it (less clean-up on shafts).

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Sorry, my bad! I did confuse fletching tape with wraps. Just educated myself on fletching tape and the couple videos I watched, and articles I read, favor Bohning tape.

OK. You had me going there!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGray
Custom look but bright colored wraps make arrows easier to find when you miss or see your hits on game. One advantage I've found is it makes refletching easier - peel off the wrap and old fletching comes with it (less clean-up on shafts).

Don't a need a "custom look", but being able to refletch wiithout scraping off flethings would be a plus I'm shooting Beman Centershot shafts that have a fake wood-look finish, which is easy to scrape off when removing feathers. The wrap may be an answer.

Thanks!

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 07/03/20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,832
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.