Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Soap works, and well.

Also, dead groundhog.... left to "ripen" outside overnight and at least 6 hours of daylight.... cut into chunks, thread on the hook like the soap, and toss the stinkin' mess (and it will be) in a deep pool. Groundhog is tough, and stays on the hook, and it's greasy/oily for a good smell distribution.

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I think I'll stick with soap.... sick grin

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Some great advice so far. Don't forget peeled crawdad tails if you can catch them.

MtnHtr

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bought some zote today. will try tonight.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Probably not in time for your tourney but anyways.

Fresh cut fish is far and away going to be your most consistent bait. Forget the rotten stuff and novelties. You can run a siene thru the milk to get goldeye and plains minnow. You could also buy creek chubs at the bait shop and ice them. They key to catching lots of cats is to fish hard and fast, especially on a small river like the Milk. Concentrate on the deeper holes and don't overlook riffles. I typically use a basic bottom rig (lindy rig to a walleye man) but will also use drift rigs with floats or just split shot.

If cats are in a hole you usually will have action in minutes. Don't stay in one spot for more than 20 or 30 minutes unless you are still catching fish. I would float long sections of river with a canoe or small flatbottom. Just have your buddy bring his truck to drop off at the end of your run. I have fished cats a lot on the smaller rivers in eastern SD and have been very successful this these techniques.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Wife had company this weekend and took them across the border for the mexican tour. She and the guests brought the typical stuff but I ran into the zost soap for 35 cents a bar and me and $2.40 parted ways. Guess I can always use it in the bathtub or something.

There is no place like home. Western Oklahoma.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Cabarillo
Wife had company this weekend and took them across the border for the mexican tour. She and the guests brought the typical stuff but I ran into the zost soap for 35 cents a bar and me and $2.40 parted ways. Guess I can always use it in the bathtub or something.

Sounds like your priorities are in order.... laugh

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, how is the zote soap working? Any of you guys catching anything yet? The wife and I caught 10 channels last Sunday, and, another 9 yesterday on Sonny's Blood Dip Bait and a dip worm. Most were around 1 1/2 - 3 pounds, good fillet size. I did catch a 7 pounder yesterday.

Reference the crawdad tails, years ago a guy swore by peeled shrimp for bait. I tried it several times and couldn't keep the turtles off the hook. Would you have the same trouble with the crawdad tails? I haven't beaten a good dip bait and worm with anything yet.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i caught six cats this weekend on zote. might have to move my trotline. not getting the action i think i should. stuff smells pretty good to me, and i was wash up with a piece of bait after running the line.
how's that for efficiency?

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
S
S
Here in Arizona, I've caught countless channels (and some flatheads, too) using SUNFISH as bait. We use cane poles rigged with a number 6 baitholder, baited with a mealwork, to catch small sunfish. We fish the sunfish (dead, alive, or in pieces) on the bottom. Works every time, better than any other bait I've tried.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
In some states it is illegal, but in others, it is legal to use sport fish for bait if you catch them yourself. You can net your own blueback herring or shad to use for striped bass or hybrid bass. You can catch a panfish or a trout on a hook and line, and then use it for bait for big catfish or striped bass in rivers like the Congaree and Savannhah.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.