Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a rare Walther P88 Compact 9MM pistol that I came across a long time ago. It's been fired very little and is in mint condition.

<> www.carlwalther.com/images/p88_compact_1.jpg <>

About the same time (give or take a few years) I acquired a Walther P5, also in mint condition and still is.
This pistol is not one of the German Police discontinued exports that were available years past.

<> www.carlwalther.com/images/p5_gross_2451999.jpg <>

Both pistols are of high quality mfg, dependable, accurate and comfortable in hand.

I recently acquired my 3rd Walther - a new Walther PPKS, in. .22 LR. I always wanted a PPK but always
bought something else. This little pistol is solid and fun to shoot. I have to work on accuracy with it -
but it still has become a favorite.

<> https://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/6/669449_ts.jpg <>

GB1

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Very nice. I had a 380 in the PPK/S long ago, a Manurhin model, shot decent, 22 should do better. Had an Astra Constable and Beretta 70s, both similar sized, and they shot around 2 - 2.5" when I was up to it........short sight radius and the trigger is not the best, but not too bad. Took many snakes and other critters....they were great guns to tote when fishing. Nice 9mms, thanks for sharing. Enjoy them.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Of all things, I'm rediscovering my Walther P1/P38. I acquired it 15 years ago. It was my first experiment with 9mm. There were a bunch of them that went on the surplus market in 2006-- been sitting in a warehouse in Germany. I carried in a bag back and forth to the farm for over a decade as sort of a gun of last resort. You never knew when you might run into a pack of feral dogs or some such on arrival.

As I got more interested in 9mm and handguns in general, the P1/P38 kind of took a back seat. I've been carrying a LCR in 357 Mag as an EDC, alternating with various double-stack 9's. The P1/P38 just kind of sat there. It has some limitations. It doesn't like +P. It doesn't like most HP's. It is built for German 9X19 military ball, and its ilk, and that is about it. It has only an 8-shot mag.

Lately, however, I have been rediscovering it. I found myself a mil-spec leather WWII-era chest holster that I had thought about using with a 1911-type pistol. The P1/P38 fits in it with room to spare. I added a German-issue neck lanyard to the pistol and a 2-banger magazine pouch to the rig. The result is something I can wear on the mower or out for a short hike. The aluminum frame makes it light. I've also found that I can get Hornady 125 grain XTP hollow points to cycle reliably. This has become my favorite combination for when I'm down to just a T-Shirt and out doing chores.

It's more than a 380. It's lighter than it looks. It's accurate as all get out.

I'll probably go back to my double-stack 9 in the fall, but I'm enjoying the break.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nice post, I suppose they are lighter than the P08. They always had a unique look, enjoy that classic.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a couple of HK pistols.
USP 40 fun to shoot and accurate.
P7m8 excellent trigger and extremely accurate and very low recoil. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B2

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks.

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a H&K USP compact, acquired not long after they came out, and carried a P2000 for 7 or 8 years on duty; both .40 S&W. Never had a hiccup with either one, and accuracy was good enough to take jackrabbits with the first shot to at least 75 yards. I never kept track of rounds fired. I liked the P2000's interchangeable backstrap a little better.

Dale

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 65BR
Nice post, I suppose they are lighter than the P08. They always had a unique look, enjoy that classic.

It was funny. I'd never really thought about it all that much, but I saw the leather holster in the safe and picked it up. It had been over a year since I looked at it-- probably 2 since I shot it. For a brief moment, I thought the gun had disappeared. Then I opened the flap. In my mind, I had anticipated it to be heavier. That's when I got the idea.

I think what had got me thinking sideways on the issue was I spent a decade or more grabbing that holster every week with 2 full magazines (1 in the pistol, 1 in the mag pocket) out of the range bag and it was the weight of the ammo that threw me off.

The other impetus was that I'd gone down to the safe to test the possibility of using the P1/P38 in conjunction with a birthday present Angus gave me-- one of those big magnets that you mount under furniture. Couldn't get it to stick worth spit. Duh! It's aluminum, silly. I ended up using a Ruger SR9 instead. Those magnets aren't so good on poly carbonate either, but it grabbed on to the slide enough to hold it.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Have had an HK-45C for about 11 years. Dead on reliable, only three jams ever. Two where my wife shooting light target rounds (the manual tells you light target round may not be able to cycle the action) and one was because of a large (bigger than a pea) piece of lint in a loaded magazine that prevented a round from fully chambering. It has probably 10,000 or more rounds through it. Accuracy is better than I can shoot.

Had an HK P2000 SK, never had a jam in over 3,000 rounds. It was for my wife, she really liked it, but did not like the weight and size of a double stack. Wish I could have kept it, but did not have the money to get a different gun without selling one at the time. It too was more accurate than I could shoot.

Last edited by Marbles; 07/01/20.
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good feedback folks, thanks for sharing!

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
HK P30L.
Wanted the safety model but a reg one came along at good price. Its doable. May get some Grayguns parts.

Looking at a VP9 to add

Last edited by hookeye; 07/01/20.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I really like my H&K USP 45's and 9. I've had several HK pistols over the past few years, here are some of them:

H&K USP .45 Expert. My favorite USP 45 for general use, very well balanced and very accurate. USP's are large guns that feel large, but I do not find them cumbersome. Here it is hanging out with a 1985-vintage Beretta 92F. Another large gun that feels large but is not cumbersome.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H&K USP 9mm Expert. That target was 10-shots at 10-yards in 10-seconds using Blazer brass 9mm 115gr FMJ.

H&K USP 45 Elite. 6" barrel and my favorite automatic pistol for 100-200 meter silhouette shooting.

Because of the unique recoil spring assembly of the USP 45, it can digest everything from hot .45 Super to very light target loads without adjustment. That capability alone makes it, to my mind, a better choice than a modified 1911 if you want an out-of-the-box .45 Super.

HK45 LEM. I regret selling this gun and intend to acquire another. It is one of the most comfortable 45's I've shot and was wonderfully accurate; the LEM trigger takes some getting used to but is an excellent choice for the HK45 platform.

5-shots, 10-yards, 5-seconds, 230gr FMJ.

H&K USP Compact .40. This is the most comfortable compact .40 S&W I've fired, which is to say that I could still feel my fingers after 100-rounds.

Family photo showing size differences. From the top: USP Elite 45, USP Expert 9mm, USP .45, USP Compact .40. The full-size USP 45 is an excellent gun but I prefer the balance of the USP Expert .45. Between the HK45 and the USP 45 (non-Expert), I'd take the HK45.

Last edited by Oregon45; 07/01/20.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I had a FNX 45
15 shot
De Cocker model
Double action on first shot, then single action

This pistol was incredibly accurate at 50 yards
Would shoot 200g Wad cutters

Never jammed, ever

Made a mistake and sold it

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Great pics and info above......looks like another 45 fan smile

That USP Elite seems to be begging for 10mm option........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I purchased the original walther PPS in 40 sw just as they were being discontinued. It's been trouble free and quite accurate. I would imagine it is a nice cc option, only measures an inch wide.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I purchased the original walther PPS in 40 sw just as they were being discontinued. It's been trouble free and quite accurate. I would imagine it is a nice cc option, only measures an inch wide.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I got to handle a USP 9mm Expert in Janaury, prior to Covid shutting everything down, and that gun was slick. I regret a bit not buying it. The action cycled so smooth like it was riding on glass rails.

A local gun range has a rental HK45 with threaded barrel but not suppressor sights that is arguably the most accurate factory handgun I have ever fired. It has me on the fence between another USP but in Tactical or a HK45.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have had an FNS-9 for about 5 years and it is my favorite centerfire handgun to shoot. For my hands and the way I shoot it is comfortable and accurate.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff folks, thanks.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.