R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Originally Posted by rem141r
I've had my SD for almost 6 years and never checked the spare. its one of those things i always said i need to do but always forgot. well i got my first flat the other day and went to use the spare. luckily i was in my driveway. apparently Ford thinks these spares are worth locking up. they have a "key" which is like a socket with a soda machine key on the end. its supposed to be in the glove box. well mine wasn't and i am 99% sure never was because i would have seen something like that for sure. theres a little jar of touchup paint and a manual for every other friggen thing in there but no key for the spare. so i call ford and they said they need the VIN and $107 for this f ucken thing they didn't give me with my $40k truck. i argued with them and they agreed to give it to me for cost, which was $56 bucks. about $51 more than its worth. so i get the thing and am able to crank the spare down and live happily ever after. but, if you have a Ford truck, you ougtta check it out before you really need it.

You have had a vehicle for 6 years and never checked the spare. That is hard for me to comprehend.
Too bad you weren't in Boy Scouts.
The motto is "Be Prepared."

thanks for the judgement. now go f uck yourself.

My diploma is a DD214
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was a boy scout,,,,,, And I recently checked the spare on my almost 12 year old Tacoma for the first time in years. Couldn't crank it down but was able to get it free with a breaker bar. Think the internals on that crank mechanism got rusted or something. Sprayed the hell out of it with penetrating oil and cranked it up & down a few times. Works fine now. Shouldn't ignore those things for years at a time in a northern climate where rust and winter is more of a problem. Now I will be prepared in the event of a flat.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
2015. mine has a hole in the bumper and that you put the jack rod into with the key on the end. why theres a lock is beyond me. should just lower with the notch thing on the end of the jack rod. i also have a compressor, 4way and even a floor jack in the bed. i am buying a junkyard wheel today and putting an old tire on it and keeping it in the bed. two is one, one is none.

reminds me, i need to throw a cheater pipe in there too. those friggen air tools crank those bolts down to tight.

I think it was in 2005 that Ford came up with that great idea. Who in the heck steals a spare tire? A 20 volt 1/2" impact wrench will work to take the tires off.

Life is good live it while you can.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Many are likely guilty of assuming everything is fine, til we need it.

Anyone ever experienced a low/flat spare?

Originally Posted by 22250rem
I was a boy scout,,,,,, And I recently checked the spare on my almost 12 year old Tacoma for the first time in years. Couldn't crank it down but was able to get it free with a breaker bar. Think the internals on that crank mechanism got rusted or something. Sprayed the hell out of it with penetrating oil and cranked it up & down a few times. Works fine now. Shouldn't ignore those things for years at a time in a northern climate where rust and winter is more of a problem. Now I will be prepared in the event of a flat.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a 2010 chevy PU... I think I saw a spare one time when I was looking under my truck. I have replaced the original tires once.. but not the spare. does it need replaced at the same tine also???

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hubert
I have a 2010 chevy PU... I think I saw a spare one time when I was looking under my truck. I have replaced the original tires once.. but not the spare. does it need replaced at the same tine also???

At 10 years old, dry rot would be likely enough I would not rely on that tire for more than limping duty. Old tires don't hold up well to heat (i.e. load and speed over time).

Sic Semper Tyrannis
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m in the plug kit camp, though I understand what you’re saying about it being in your driveway and that makes sense.

My uncle gave me a high zoot Blackjack plug kit a few years ago for Christmas and I keep it, a 12v compressor, and a giant can of Slime brand fix a flat in a snap top box under my back seat. I haven’t put a spare on since I started carrying that kit and most times don’t even bother going and getting it patched afterward as long as it isn’t leaking. Plugged one in the Happy Valley airstrip on the north slope of the Brooks range one time and drove it all the way back to Anchorage and then for another year and a half before it was time for new tires.

But I will check now that you mentioned it just to make sure. Mine’s a 2019 and I don’t know if it’s the same but it’s worth a look to be sure. Thanks for the heads up.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

You're really supposed to include your spare tire in with tire rotations but I don't recall ever knowing anyone that said they did.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

LOL.

If your dealer was gonna charge you $1200 plus labor to replace the battery... Just imagine what they would charge you for a new spare tire. blush

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I don't know but it seems to me that tire sealants would / could mess with the electronic tire pressure sensors that are so common on newer vehicles nowadays.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Many are likely guilty of assuming everything is fine, til we need it.

Anyone ever experienced a low/flat spare?

Originally Posted by 22250rem

..........I've checked it to ensure that it's not low or flat but I still could have been out on the roadside with a flat and unable to get my fully inflated spare off. I should have mentioned that the pressure has been checked but not the lowering mechanism.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I thought this thread would be about a backup AR from Palmetto State Armory.

Mathew 22: 37-39

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

LOL.

If your dealer was gonna charge you $1200 plus labor to replace the battery... Just imagine what they would charge you for a new spare tire. blush

What is wrong with you that you cant get over the battery thing?/ just because someone quoted me a stupid price on something dosent mean I took them up on it...get a life loser.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
2015. mine has a hole in the bumper and that you put the jack rod into with the key on the end. why theres a lock is beyond me. should just lower with the notch thing on the end of the jack rod. i also have a compressor, 4way and even a floor jack in the bed. i am buying a junkyard wheel today and putting an old tire on it and keeping it in the bed. two is one, one is none.

reminds me, i need to throw a cheater pipe in there too. those friggen air tools crank those bolts down to tight.

I think it was in 2005 that Ford came up with that great idea. Who in the heck steals a spare tire? A 20 volt 1/2" impact wrench will work to take the tires off.

Yup. Handy at home and very valuable on the road.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I've had my SD for almost 6 years and never checked the spare. its one of those things i always said i need to do but always forgot. well i got my first flat the other day and went to use the spare. luckily i was in my driveway. apparently Ford thinks these spares are worth locking up. they have a "key" which is like a socket with a soda machine key on the end. its supposed to be in the glove box. well mine wasn't and i am 99% sure never was because i would have seen something like that for sure. theres a little jar of touchup paint and a manual for every other friggen thing in there but no key for the spare. so i call ford and they said they need the VIN and $107 for this f ucken thing they didn't give me with my $40k truck. i argued with them and they agreed to give it to me for cost, which was $56 bucks. about $51 more than its worth. so i get the thing and am able to crank the spare down and live happily ever after. but, if you have a Ford truck, you ougtta check it out before you really need it.

Good reminder. Thanks. I need to check my ‘11.

As infrequently as one has a flat tire these days, it’s very easy to overlook.

Last flat was 4 years ago and that was on a trailer. Can’t recall my last vehicle flat.

I rotate tires twice per year (summer vs winter).

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I need one of those 20 volt impacts. It be handy to have out on the road!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought my truck in November and have already used 3 plugs. I keep a plug kit, compressor and 2 ton scissor jack under the back seat. I do have the little locking lugnut tool in the bag with the compressor and plugging kit. I have not looked at the spare to make sure it doesn't require anything out of the ordinary.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Factory specs call for 150 to 165 lb/ft. on the torque wrench. My Milwaukee cordless goes on roadtrips with me now.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
When I bought my '01 F250 SD, one of the first things I did was get the spare out from under the truck. I do seem to recall it was a bit of a puzzle.

I just don't like the spare where it's hard to get to, especially off pavement, in the mud, snow, or whatever. Mine lays in the bed of the truck.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Wheel locks of all flavor are a huge pain in the fugking ass.

I rank them right up there with the Obama Gas Cans.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 42 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,511
Posts18,452,647
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.