Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was just cleaning out a closet and found a pair of Filson Tin Pants that were purchased at Brewster's Store.
Is there still a Brewster;s in Anchorage?

I now hear that REI has moved into the Sears space but what's in their previous location now?
I think REI showed up in late 70s and prior to that Caribou Wards were in that building. I remember
going there with a buddy when he bought a new 300 Weatherby.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
https://mtviewpost.com/2015/02/10/goodbye-brewsters-building-neighborhood-landmark-demolished/

It has been gone a long time... the old man himself was usually in the store right up to the end.

CONTACT
FEBRUARY 10, 2015 • 0

Goodbye, Brewster’s building: Neighborhood landmark demolished
By Kirsten Swann

In Mountain View, revitalization marches forward and an Anchorage landmark has been reduced to rubble.

The half-century-old Brewster’s building was demolished on Feb. 10 to make way for future new construction. It was only a matter of time.

Brewster's exterior 1

The brown cinderblock structure had deep roots in the neighborhood. Anchorage homesteader Charles H. Brewster opened his store in a log cabin in Muldoon in 1952, and moved the business to Mountain View in 1959, the year Alaska became a state. Brewster’s Clothing & Footwear occupied nearly 17,000 feet of retail space at the corner of North Bragaw Street and Mountain View Drive, and gained a loyal customer base over decades in business.

Rhoda Eldred, 58, remembers shopping there back in the ‘70s. She attended East High School and lived on North Lane Street and went to Brewster’s for the affordable, high-quality merchandise. Back then, the store was stocked with carefully displayed selections of jeans and boots and high-quality winter gear. Eldred bought thick socks and shirts for her father for Christmas. She loved the western-wear feel of the store.

“You could spend hours there,” she said.

If you went shopping at Brewster’s you wouldn’t have to go anywhere else. And it was always busy—at least during those early years. Eldred’s memories of the place are filled with customers both young and old. It was a family store, she said, a store for working people. Alaskans came from all over to buy Levis and Carhartts and collect Brewster’s stamps that you could redeem for free merchandise.

The last time Eldred went inside was more than a decade ago. Things had changed a lot since the retailer’s heyday. There were more clearance sales and fewer people, she recalled.

“It was just starting to empty out,” she said. “It was sort of sad.”

Inside the Brewster's building days before its demolition.
Inside the Brewster’s building days before its demolition.

In 2005, faced with the rise of online retailers and big box stores, the company announced it would be going out of business. The Anchorage Assembly passed a resolution thanking the family for “50 years of keeping Alaskans warm and comfortable on the job.” Then Brewster’s closed its doors for the last time.

For a while, the building housed a Salvation Army thrift store. The community council talked of transforming it into an “artist’s location.” Nothing materialized.

Eventually, the property was purchased by Cook Inlet Housing Authority (CIHA), an Anchorage-based nonprofit and Mountain View land developer. With the original Brewster’s building at the end of its useful life and a row of new duplexes popping up down the block, the housing authority decided to level the store and start from the ground up.

In August, CIHA Vice President of Project Management Mark Fineman announced the move to the Mountain View Community Council. The Brewster’s property sits in a prime location; a stone’s throw from a credit union, a grocery store, a school, a library, multiple bus stops and dozens of new homes. Fineman said the housing authority hoped the space could attract some kind of new commercial investment.

“It’s really just a blank canvas,” he said.

Community council members passed a resolution of support for the demolition. Some people called the old building an eyesore. Its time was up, they said. Maybe one day the space could house some kind of bus depot or mixed-use development.

For now, though, it will be an empty lot.

Fineman said CIHA explored the possibility of purchasing the adjacent Surf Laundry & Dry Cleaning—a building even older than Brewster’s—but it didn’t pencil out, so the laundromat remained while the clothing store came down around it.

Sezy Gerow-Hanson, CIHA’s director of public and resident relations, said the housing authority has no immediate plans to rebuild on the property, but will be very selective about the kind of new development it allows.

On Feb. 6, one of the building’s last days, people filed in and out, picking up secondhand furniture and other unused items sold in a final lot sale. The inside of the old store was dark and cold. Paint peeled from the ceiling. Plastic sheeting covered the doorways.

Inside the Brewster's building days before its demolition.
Inside the Brewster’s building days before its demolition.

Piles of odds and ends dotted the mostly empty floor: A piano, a sewing machine on a desk, a shattered mirror, a dozen or so chairs arranged in straight rows. The bright, busy place of years past was nowhere to be seen. It was bittersweet.

“I think it’s going to be missed—at least among those of us who’ve lived here for a while,” said Niki Burrows, a longtime Mountain View resident.

While Burrows was never a regular Brewster’s customer, she said it was a familiar symbol for many Alaskans. For years and years, the parking lot was crowded and the family owned store was filled with life. No longer.

On Monday, construction crews put up a fence around the corner property. The next day, machinery ripped into the building and a long chapter in Anchorage history came to an end.

“I hate to see it torn down,” Burrows said. “I hate to see it go.”

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Another place you could spend hours in was the hardware store on fireweed lane.(McKays)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Music_Man
Another place you could spend hours in was the hardware store on fireweed lane.(McKays)

Absolutely! Hated to see it close. But the Title Wave book store that followed was great... until they enlarged and moved.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes, McKay's was a real hardware store. The only place in Anchorage where I could buy lead wool for weighting shotgun stocks or tying weighted flies.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VernAK
Yes, McKay's was a real hardware store. The only place in Anchorage where I could buy lead wool for weighting shotgun stocks or tying weighted flies.

Never thought of lead wool for tying flies...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Anchorage of long ago sounds like a pretty cool place.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It was...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
In 1983, I subscribed to one of the Anchorage daily papers. I KNEW Alaska was the place for me when the Sunday ad for a local drug store, (Long's Drugs) listed Ruger 77 rifles in .338win chamberings. Finally got here much later, and never lived in ANC; but came to learn that Long's was a great place for guns and loading supplies. Wally world was selling loading gear and components when we moved up, but they ended that several years later. Still some pretty amazing places around, but few and far between. Seen lots of changes in the past 20yrs and none have been "good".

VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Long's did sell a lot of sporting goods. A very innovative drug store.
I'm trying to think when they left Anchorage......probably during the
oil downturn in the 80s.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Long's did sell a lot of sporting goods. A very innovative drug store.
I'm trying to think when they left Anchorage......probably during the
oil downturn in the 80s.

They were still around for years after '85... trying to think of time points for reference.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I bought a rifle for Riley about '94 and another after that... thinking '94-'96 window.

I made the news in the late '70s taking out a runner from the Dimond Blvd liquor store with a good low tackle...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best store I recall for outdoor gear was Eberhards Sport Shop on Fireweed lane. I remember Mountain View Sport Shop for guns, A little market called Georges when you were heading South out of town, where he sold his own "Caribou Sausage". I visited the taxidermy shop of Woody Wilcockson(might have the last name wrong). Best breakfast in town was Flapjack Jim's. This is before the time frame ya'll are talking, circa 1973

VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes I remember Eberhard's.......a nice rather upscale shop for the time.
Mountain View Sports was in Mountain View of all places.....I like to BS with Jack.

George's had all sorts of native foods.

Where was Flapjack Jim's?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IIRC Flapjacks was off of the lower part of Fireweed, right in the thick of things so to speak.
I bought a North Face Ibex sleeping bag from Eberhards, paid $112 and that was tall coin then. Worth every penny. The owner also had a Guide Service that catered to wealthy German Sportsmen. A friend guided for him some.
Best days of my life.....

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A co-worker of mine was a pretty wild hare. Back in either '78 or '79 at around 2:00 a.m. he was driving toward downtown on Spendard through the soft quivering underbelly of Anchorage on an icy winter night. He was probably not 100% sober knowing him. He hit a bad patch of wet ice, spun out, and ended up in the parking lot of The Magic Carpet Ride "massage" parlor. He put it in park , said to himself it was divine intervention, and went inside for a little TLC. Things have changed quite a bit in the past 40+ years.

Gary Kings was always a fun outdoor gear place to shop. Always loved to look at the mounts all around the upper level. They had an amazing moose (Klineberger's?) up on the wall. Must have been 80". Also, a Marco Polo ram and a bunch of other fine trophies.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
Best store I recall for outdoor gear was Eberhards Sport Shop on Fireweed lane. I remember Mountain View Sport Shop for guns, A little market called Georges when you were heading South out of town, where he sold his own "Caribou Sausage". I visited the taxidermy shop of Woody Wilcockson(might have the last name wrong). Best breakfast in town was Flapjack Jim's. This is before the time frame ya'll are talking, circa 1973

I was here almost a decade before '73...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah

George's lasted through the '80s by quite a bit. They had some pretty special "subsistence" foods for sale. I bought a piece of muktuk from George about '82 and tried mightily to eat it.

I failed...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes I remember Eberhard's.......a nice rather upscale shop for the time.
Mountain View Sports was in Mountain View of all places.....I like to BS with Jack.

George's had all sorts of native foods.

Where was Flapjack Jim's?

Jack was a great guy... pathetic what his daughter and S-I-L did to him...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was stationed at Elmendorf from 85-89 and remember shopping at all the stores mention. I bought a Remington 700 Mountain rifle in 280 Rem at Longs Drug Store. Mountain View sports was another favorite. I do remember shopping Brewsters several times. The last time I was back in Anchorage was 2007 and I couldn't find any of the old places.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

409 members (1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 55 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,217
Posts18,447,403
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.