Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by jeffbird
I’ve changed flats three times out in the brush on my F250 diesels through the years. Never had an issue with the wheel lock. The potential problem is the jack. I carry a 4’ Hi-Lift and a 3’ long 2”x12” to provide a solid support base for the jack. For anyone going off pavement, carry the Hi-Lift and the 2”x12” for support.
Since changing to Hankooks, no flats have occurred. Thanks to Sam Olson for the recommendation on the Hankooks. 👍

https://hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/

Where do you hook a Hilift on the front of a pickup under 30 years old.
Bullrack or stepbars? Maybe. Certainly not on any OEM metal.

Bumper on the rear and tow hook on the front. All OEM on my trucks.

Put the hi lift under the front tow hook on a 99 chevy once. Damned thing was cast. It broke before the front tire cleared the ground.

On the rear, I always jack from the receiver hitch frame.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Who in the heck steals a spare tire? . . .

Actually, the hood rats around here steal quite a
few spares, made easier by the flimsy spare tire
winch set up. They don't bother to crank it down,
just snip the end of it off with bolt cutters, then
you not only have to buy a new spare wheel and
tire, but a new winch as well.
The winch idea comes courtesy of the nosy
gubmint through their weight and fuel savings
mandates, just like the extinct vent windows .
Of course you know that for many decades truck
spare tires were mounted underneath
the rear of the truck on a simple easy to manufacture
rail that would last pretty much forever plus 3 days.
Lots of things the gubmint fiddles with that negatively
impacts the end user. Probably the biggest thing
I can think of is having to build a vehicle with
half of it in plastic that degrades instead of durable
and recyclable metal, thus taking up even more
scarce space in landfills.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the original spare on my 77 vette, I've been thinking of replacing it but it still holds air laugh . It takes a door key to unlock.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fuqk that... I would have raised so much he11 down there in the flesh they would have two choices either give me the fuqking key or wait for the man to arrive to arrest me.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by cra1948
I thought this thread would be about a backup AR from Palmetto State Armory.

Lolol....I thought the same thing. I just got another PSA lower for a backup to my backup AR and thought some other great minds had done the same. 😂.....nope, just a thread about spare tires. 😁. I keep Slime and/or a can of Fix-A-Flat and a compressor onboard all of my rigs. I’ve had great results with both. I don’t mess with the ridiculous spare tires, cheap jacks or the Chinese puzzle of unlocking them.

Several years ago my buddy and I did a suicide run to Neah Bay leaving my house early. We got to the boat launch and realized I had a flat in the truck. It was early Sunday morning and nothing was open on the Makah Indian reservation so we had to wait until the grocery store opened. We fixed the flat with Slime and small compressor that was part of the kit. I drove on those tires for another 2 years until I bought new tires.

I was towing the boat 2 weeks ago and got a flat in my Suburban. I used the can of Fix-A-Flat and the same little 12V compressor I bought at Neah Bay years ago. The tire held and this time instead of testing fate I took it to Les Schwab for a brake job and new tires.

I also have AAA RV plus for my wife, son and myself. I am double covered as far as the boat trailers and travel trailers go since BoatUSA and AAA cover the roadside assistance of my trailers too.

If I’m going into the back, back, backwoods or anywhere where a flat tire could mean serious trouble I’ll lash a full sized spare onto the roof rack and bring my floor jack and jack stands.....being prepared for the worst means that I won’t need the spare since the only things that break are the things that I’m not prepared to fix. 😂

$50 seems like a ridiculous amount of money for a socket “key” let alone $107 but what are you gonna do? However if you need it you need it and getting upset won’t help you get it. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suggest one auger his way into the workings and maybe weld on a 13/16 inch nut.

1Minute
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Didja check behind the rear seat in the plastic bag where some of the tools go? I've had 4 SD Fords since 2011 and that's where it's at.. FWIW, I will be removing the spare on my new F-450 within the next week and putting it in the bed where I can ensure the pressure's up and I don't hafta drop the danged thing in a rainstorn when ( not if) I have some flat somewhere...LOL

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about taking the truck to the retarded dealer, having them take off the retarded nut and replace it with a standard nut? Or would that be too simple?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dutch
How about taking the truck to the retarded dealer, having them take off the retarded nut and replace it with a standard nut? Or would that be too simple?

Stop it!

smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Hubert
I have a 2010 chevy PU... I think I saw a spare one time when I was looking under my truck. I have replaced the original tires once.. but not the spare. does it need replaced at the same tine also???

I used to wear out a set tires every couple of years so I'd buy 4 tires and use one of my old tires for the spare. These days tires get old before I wear them out so I'll buy 5 and include the spare when I rotate them. I think 8 years is considered old.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rem141r
Originally Posted by stevelyn
A can of Fix-A-Flat and a plug kit would have saved you a lot of aggravation.

i had that but did not use it because it was in the driveway. i just pulled it and took it to the tire place with my lesbo-mobile. but if i had been out in the woods, i'd gunked the schit out of that thing and fired up my little compressor and sat there for an hour waiting for it to fill.

I'm going truck shopping this fall and the Super Duty is on the top of my list. Is the lock needed to keep the spare in place or can you run without it?

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by victoro
Originally Posted by Hubert
I have a 2010 chevy PU... I think I saw a spare one time when I was looking under my truck. I have replaced the original tires once.. but not the spare. does it need replaced at the same tine also???

I used to wear out a set tires every couple of years so I'd buy 4 tires and use one of my old tires for the spare. These days tires get old before I wear them out so I'll buy 5 and include the spare when I rotate them. I think 8 years is considered old.

8 years is old?

Damn, the Toyo M-55 255-85-16 E tires have been on my 96 GMC K2500 HD since 09. But I swapped the tires and aluminum wheels off from my 84 3/4 ton diesel where they had lived for a minimum of five years. That makes this set at least 16 years old with about 60K on the tread.

They are expensive, but I got my money's worth from them.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
Wheel locks of all flavor are a huge pain in the fugking ass.

I rank them right up there with the Obama Gas Cans.

This.

=================

The 2013 nissan fronty has the long rod cranky winch deal. I check once/year and showed the family how it is done.

I also bought another steel wheeland mounted my best old tire on that. When i go into the back country it rides in the bed.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Wheel locks of all flavor are a huge pain in the fugking ass.

I rank them right up there with the Obama Gas Cans.

“Replacement spouts” on Amazon will fix the gas cans.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
This video seems to hold some promise.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"That makes this set at least 16 years old with about 60K on the tread."

The mud tires on my '80 Chevy deer lease truck are 13 years old and still look almost brand new but I don't plan on driving them 75 mph on the highway.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
According to my owner's manual, there is supposed to be a key, but I can't find it. I can raise and lower the spare just fine, so either mine is modified, or the key is locked in place at the winch inside the guide tube. Works for me either way.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
At least you got a spare tire. Years ago, a guy I was supposed to meet was late due to a flat tire. His new Ford truck didn't come with a spare...it was an option, one he was not aware that he needed to specify as being wanted.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
729 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.