24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Don't mix. Someone planted that Mimosa tree directly over a leach line. It had completely encapsulated the drain pipe and blocked the drainfield. I'm glad I wasn't tempted to leave it until the system failed. Took the tree out today and dug it up before the yard was landscaped. Concerning planting trees under powerlines and over drainfields,I have customers say, "I'll be dead before that becomes a problem, let the next guy worry about it". I'm the next guy LOL. But we're gettin er done. If you simply must do it, line a giant hole with the fabric with root inhibiting pills spaced every foot around it. Supposed to last 20 years and act like a giant container. I know that stuff lasts for at least a few years because the tree runs out of nutrients and must be fed, just as if it' in a pot.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow, what a mess. Was that your drain field at the new house? If it was that really sucks. I have had 2 houses with septic tanks, never a problem, guess I was lucky.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That soil looks pretty tight.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SS336
Wow, what a mess. Was that your drain field at the new house? If it was that really sucks. I have had 2 houses with septic tanks, never a problem, guess I was lucky.

New old house yeah. Really no big deal when you own machinery. Just wish people thought ahead a little bit.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MM879

Pretty compacted.

LOL
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
The house we owned in California had a willow tree about 30 feet from the drain line from the house to the city sewer system. We got on a first name basis with the guy from Roto-Rooter in the two years we lived there! Every joint in that clay pipe had roots growing through it.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dang, they planted that directly over a line eh?

I've got a spot or two I'd like to put some trees and wonder if the roots would seriously impact a leach line from 30 feet away or so. Trying to figure out a tree species that might work up here that has more of a tap root system instead of shallow roots spreading out.

Planting anything directly over the leach field ain't so smart.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got a dwarf apple tree planted about 35 feet from my line. Hoping that's far enough.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Fireball2

New old house yeah. Really no big deal when you own machinery. Just wish people thought ahead a little bit.

In the extremely unlikely event that I would ever again buy an acre lot to build on, now in my ancient wisdom, I would clear-cut the SOB!

Went to fire-safe the house a bit, recently. Discussed several times wilth my wife that i wanted to clear-cut back to the property line on two sides, she said she was good with it.... giving us 50' on one side, about 100 on the south. Maybe enough for the bombers to not flatten the house when/if they drop. I cut 5 trees and she started crying - so we compromised- 50/50/ right down the line...

I thinned maybe 15% of the trees and trimmed the remaining 85% of the trees as hugh as the chain saw could reach....

Wimmin!

It isn't like there's close (any!) neighbors on those two sides or 80 billion trees in Alaska.....

We are gonna burn..... but the insurance is maxed out and up to date. smile

Last edited by las; 07/03/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las

In the extremely unlikely event that I would buy an acre lot to build on, now in my ancient wistom, I would clear-cut the SOB!

Just took out (with the help of Dennis in AZ and many others) all but one of my birches and two spruce. Clear-cut it and it makes me breath easier. Been here for 35 years and watched these trees grow into monsters... now looking for trees topping out at 25' max. Nothing resembling weeping or cut-leaf need apply.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Ha - last summer Matt - my renter, and I replaced part of the deck roof on the rental that a tree had taken out. Then he set fire to the place smoking fish (among other things I think) on the deck .

That canceled out our moose hunt at our remote cabin in Sept.....

Whole new roof - and stuff - he and the 1st floor renter got moved back in begining of November, $ 80K or so later.

Just got done taking out 8 beetle kills, all of them within reach of the structure. One was right sporty - pics to follow. I posted about this earlier on another thread. The tree wanted to go south into the power line. 200 feet of rope and a little horspower convinced it to go east and stay in the lot.

About 90' tall and 30 inches at ground level. Carpenter ant infested.

Last edited by las; 07/03/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MM879

Pretty compacted.

I would be concerned with the loam content. You might want to look into those clam shell field systems. They provide more contact area to the soil base.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That is a serious chore you got there, and I do not envy the digging in that part of the country. I am originally from Colo and all too familiar with the rocks and roots. I am currently repairing foundation and getting water away from an old farmhouse. The silver maple tree had pushed roots through the bottom of foundation(stone wall ,no footing)and into the basement. Place had not had any serious maintenance. The property is one of 12 farms this farmer owns. All the rentals are in a state of seriousness. This place should have been bulldozed!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
211 members (358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.