24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We had problems with these same things about this time last year. I used a variety of carry pieces to deal with them.

Keeping an eye out to see if we have another infestation this year, what with them being in the news all over place right now..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I think I have the wife convinced we need an in ground pool as a way of having a long term water supply in times of crisis.

Four 19 year old punks that want your pool water will just take all 4 corners of you house, out of your bb gun range, and torch it to the earth.

Plan B?

Last edited by duck911; 07/02/20.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I had considered building a 100,000 gallon underground water reservoir at one time. Not as a prepping thing, but the well only produced a gallon a minute and I wanted to run that bitch 24/7 all winter for summer irrigation use. Better solution was to sell that property.

Last edited by Fireball2; 07/02/20.

LOL
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I always new I'd have to prep from the time I was a teenager. Looking at the world it seemed more than obvious as to where we were heading. I used to tell people years back what was coming and they all said I was crazy! Today many of them are asking me for advice! I don't want to tell them what's coming next

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Don't overlook water and several means of
purification.
Store as much as you would as if they said
there wasn't any more indefinitely

A 5 gallon bucket (about $150.00) of powdered calcium chloride (make sure that it doesn’t have other chemicals that swimming pool chlorine treatments have), will treat a lot of water! memtb

So will a couple gallons of bleach.

First ....a correction! I meant Calcium Hypochlorite, “not” Calcium Chloride!
1/4 teaspoon / 55 gallons water
If my math is correct, I can treat 170000 gallons water with that 5 gallon bucket. I don’t think that a couple of gallons bleach will go that far! wink memtb

Last edited by memtb; 07/02/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sodium hypochlorite, NaOCl, common disinfecting bleach (without scents or other additives) works. If 6%, 8 drops per gallon. If 8% 6 drops per gallon.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
powdered stuff lasts longer. shelf life of liquid bleach not that great. (both are sodium hypochlorite)

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Well, as said above, there's definitely crystal calcium hypochlorite that's readily available as memtb has offered. Crystal sodium hypochlorite is not some common thing and has a melting point not useful to our needs. Interesting as I had not seen that sodium hypo solutions degrade. Our current jugs of bleach at home are too ancient. Years ago doing field work, we used bleach as a bit of extra treatment in potable water tanks which were mil surplus water buffalos.. Also used in fish culture setting to sterilize then counter it with sodium thiosulfate. All IIRC which is subject to doubt....

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Big bucket of HTH

Use the HTH to make fresh bleach solution

Then use the DIY solution to add into your target water.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Don't overlook water and several means of
purification.
Store as much as you would as if they said
there wasn't any more indefinitely

A 5 gallon bucket (about $150.00) of powdered calcium chloride (make sure that it doesn’t have other chemicals that swimming pool chlorine treatments have), will treat a lot of water! memtb

So will a couple gallons of bleach.

First ....a correction! I meant Calcium Hypochlorite, “not” Calcium Chloride!
1/4 teaspoon / 55 gallons water
If my math is correct, I can treat 170000 gallons water with that 5 gallon bucket. I don’t think that a couple of gallons bleach will go that far! wink memtb

And the real correct answer is.... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That looks like good bug out country right there!

--- Kid Rock 2022

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Never really called it "prepping" but after living in places that throw hurricanes, blizzards, ice storms and other foul weather at you or the potential for violent crime due to working in or travelling around urban cesspool's here and abroad I have always kept a certain level of preparedness.
We keep a respectable amount of what I consider essentials on hand just as part of our SOP just incase of foul weather or "hard times", my spouse laughs when I refer to the stash as our "Beans, Bullets and Band-Aids".
I know a few people that have gone all in on "prepping" and may be prepared for the "end of times", societal collapse , WW III or what other scenario you wish to insert here; that works for them so be it.

We live outside a small town (pop. 700) in western NC and while I don't envision the commie horde coming up our mountain, these days you never know. This country is no longer the one I grew up in and I have no idea what the future will bring; we'll do the best we can.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by duck911
I think I have the wife convinced we need an in ground pool as a way of having a long term water supply in times of crisis.

Four 19 year old punks that want your pool water will just take all 4 corners of you house, out of your bb gun range, and torch it to the earth.

Plan B?

Lol.

Shirley you jest.

I doubt Mr. jackmountain is going to be cowering in his house from a few 19 yo punks trying to burn him and his peeps to the ground.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Suck part of not being prepared is the short time it'd take to necessitate becoming a marauding heathen.

#willtakeshitasneededtosurvive

--- Kid Rock 2022

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Good on you but I'm not sure how prudent it is to announce to the world over the internet exactly what resources you have and where they are located.

I would probably do something similar to what you have done but unfortunately all my guns and ammo were lost in that terrible boating accident.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Hookset
Good on you but I'm not sure how prudent it is to announce to the world over the internet exactly what resources you have and where they are located.

I would probably do something similar to what you have done but unfortunately all my guns and ammo were lost in that terrible boating accident.

You must be the “jerk” that hit and sank my boat! grin I lost all of my guns also! mad memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Our house looks like a supermarket/ hardware store/ armory. It’s just part of living out in the sticks.

I don't have a single memory of living where there wasn't a cellar, a garden, case full of ball lids and a pressure canner in the cupboard, guns, ammo, reloading equipment, a wood pile,etc...

We're canning green beans right now. We don't do this out of fear, we just don't like wasting time and gas running to the store every little bit.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Hookset

You must be the “jerk” that hit and sank my boat! grin I lost all of my guns also! mad memtb

Yep. That was me. I was so broken up about it, I haven’t bothered to replace them.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
some years ago on a elk hunting camping trip i watched a brother in law adding a little bleach to the soapy water we were using to wash the dishes.
he was career navy and said they use to do it on the ships as a sterilazation method due to the water containers on the ships.
always thought is was a good idea.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Years ago, late 1970s when "Peanuts" Jimmuh Carter was president and things in this country were becoming seriously tenuous, a magazine came out called American Survival Guide which had many articles about being prepared for TEOTWAWKI. (The End Of This World As We Know It.) Over the years ASG became quite successful. I subscribed since nearly the first and still have almost a complete collection of the magazines. There were many articles that were well thought out, informative, and made common sense. Some were based on projected future events the authors of the article thought might occur.

Some of the articles written back then are now dated, but others still make sense and are informative. My wife and I lived in Los Angeles where violent crime was a norm and ethnic riots were not uncommon. Plus, Los Angeles was centered over serious earthquake country. We also had a cabin up in the Sierra where the winter snows could be four feet deep at our place. We were prepared both at our home in L.A., and should we be snowed in up in the Sierra while visiting our cabin.

Being prepared for adversity just made common sense to us. American Survival Guide helped a lot of people with their desire to become prepared for "hard times." Enjoyed reading it each month.

As the Boy Scouts motto stated, "Be Prepared."

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.