Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hunt/Fish Camp Radios

Some people like to have a communication method in camp to stay in touch with others. There are several ways to do this, but I strongly encourage you to get your basic amateur license. It is also useful for back home as well.

Whether it's point to point communications with a radio, or using a repeater (a rebroadcasting station) to reach your group, it's an inexpensive addition to your trip. As the world continues to evolve, VHF/UHF repeaters are penetrating into areas there there may not be too many people, but the radio waves don't care.

Canadians, here's the Industry Canada page. You can learn a little about how to become an amateur radio operator.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf01862.html

This is the Radio amateur's of Canada website. Their "How to Start" page. The test is not difficult, and provides you with different ways to communicate with others, experiment, and play with the modes that interest you.

https://www.rac.ca/examinations/

In Canada, Morse Code is not required. You write a 100 question, multiple choice test. That's it! You need 70% to pass, but 80% or more will get you extra privileges. This will get you on the air.

You may want to talk with someone who is an amateur and they can answer your questions personally.
---

I was licensed in 1992 in BC. I am not a Morse Code guy. Frankly, I cannot be bothered, but that's the nice thing about the hobby. You can do what you want. Voice comms, digital comms, TV comms, and more. It will keep you out of the bars!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hi Steve,
Happy Canada Day!
I have wondered what the process to become licensed in Canada worked.
Some great info in the links. New skills are a good thing.
Thanks,
Jeff

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
No sweat, Jeff. Happy Canada Day to you!

It angers some older hams, but getting your license isn't particularly difficult. When I got mine, I did the multiple guess test, and Morse testing. There were two levels of Morse you could earn to get extra band privileges. I passed the first level, but failed the second. It was nerves. The test guy had a cassette player and played a tape. He was a very nice fellow. I did the test in his den.

Communications have changed, and the old timers felt that by allowing "no code" hams into the hobby would somehow diminish it. They often talked about CBers taking over the bands. That was ridiculous, but there was no convincing them.

Even many of the Morse code users have opted for software that deciphers code and it appears as English on your computer screen. They send it the same way. Type the message and send it. Hardly what the old time operators did with a keyer. smile

I would like to experiment with more digital stuff, but I use it more for chat these days. In the fall, after the COVID thing is over, I might take a CANWARN course and set my station up to monitor weather events. https://www.ecoa.ca/canwarn.shtml

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm on a journey right now......around which radios are best for hunting situations. I'm not a gearhead but am rapidly getting up to speed.

I first thought a CB would be a good solution; I don't think it is now.

Then, I went to GMRS and got licensed ($70 for ten-year license and no exam). I like it and think it'll solve a lot of our issues, even if only one of us has a GMRS and no repeater (e.g., more power for simplex communications).

And, finally, it forced me to say "Why not study for 10 hours or whatever and pass the exam so I can get my ham Technician license?" which I'm doing to have a VHF/UHF mobile--enabling me to use the more widely available VHF repeaters as well as talk to walkie talkies.

What's funny is doing this while not thinking about the prepper types who are buying every ham mobile and handheld off the shelves due to the current social situation. I hope China & Taiwan can up production.....

Murphy was a grunt.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, China continues their production of products. Getting your ham license is definitely the way to go.

Amateur radios used to be expensive, but the Chinese have forced prices to stabilize or even drop slightly. Most of the big name radios were built in Japan (with Chinese made parts) but cost a pretty penny. About 15 years ago, I bought a Yaesu 2400 2m for $300. The equivalent model now is less than $200. Prices are CDN.

I just ordered this. All in, it was $670 CDN. It's an Xiegu G90 20 Watt SDR HF Radio. QST gave it a good rating. It's compact size and low current draw make it an attractive option for an HF radio. It is a 10-160 meter rig.

https://xiegu.eu/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2020/02/2020-03-QST-Product-Review-Xiegu-G90.pdf

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good evening Steve,

Thanks for the history info. I can see there being push back from the established guys/gals.
I am actually relieved to hear Morse Code isn't required these days. I recall
as a Boy scout working on a Merit Badge to do with communications and the stress I felt
trying to learn enough Morse Code to achieve the badge to the point it was only one of a few I never completed LOL.

I went through the CB craze, handle was Whiskyjack. I still use it on some forums etc. Was plenty of fun but those days are gone.
I really became interested in radio work when i took my Basic Comms in 1983 @ 1 Fd Amb. I found proficiency on the radio as a
medic to be as critical to my patient care as my medical training.

Now retired, I work as a civilian contractor at Range Control as the radio op. Interesting work but as with my Reg Force time, deals only with
mil nets.

I'll likely look into this come Winter as it is currently fishing and gopher hunting season, quickly moving into upland and big game hunting.
Winter is my off season, good time to learn new things.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This dual band (Leixen VV-898s) is under $90 US (if you can find it); 25 watts.

[Linked Image]

Murphy was a grunt.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

250 members (358WCF, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 280shooter, 204guy, 35 invisible), 1,959 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,156
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.