Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I don’t know that I would like that grip with the heavy loads.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah the grip, finish and hatchet front sight are all non-starters for me. Fortunately for guys who like it, contemporary handgun trends are about 180 degrees off from my preferences so it's a sure bet to be a big seller wink

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A .44 Special on the smaller frame would have made more sense to me. But I guess that has already been done.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now that would be a fun packing revolver

Sam......

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like the sights. Would prefer a fluted cylinder and it comes in several ounces heavier than a standard Blackhawk.

Almost

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
As a fan of most Rugers, and their revolvers in particular, seems to me this Carryhawk is a solution in search of a problem, or market niche, that may or may not be there.
As a pure carry revolver, it may have a place. As a platform for full-house, .45 cal. 320 gr. bullets at 1200 fps, I greatly prefer a Bisley grip to hold onto, and help minimize felt recoil. For a hunting sidearm, I prefer longer barrels.
At 39 oz., this revolver is no lightweight- it is only 7 oz. lighter than my Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley .480, with 4 5/8" barrel, which by the way has become my bear country packing sidearm.
Maybe in my old age, I just prefer real woodgrain grips, blued or stainless finishes, and revolvers that look more like, well, revolvers.
Just my 2 cents worth.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ughh the grip...

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Im sure its a fine gun.

What's funny about the article is that I recently packed my NMBH 45 convertable on a camping trip. I thought I was just some unobtrusive middle aged nobody taking my son camping. But according to the author of the linked article. Im really a rugged tough manly man of enumerated masculine qualities because I pack that kind of a gun. Tongue and cheek I suppose............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll be contrary and say I like it.

The gun appears to be intended as a range toy, or more of a plinker. It's trying (a bit too hard) to be unique, yet shootable. The birds head grip, slab side barrel, straight-wall cylinders, yet sights you can adjust.

Sure, this revolver isn't going to be much fun in a bullseye league, nor shooting 300 gr bullets at "Linebaugh speeds." But, it will be fun with a group of guys plinking. Having 2 cylinders will make it fun for casual shooting and stepping things up a bit with a stiffer .45 Colt load. I'd like to shoot a few cans of store brand pop with it!

Most guys I know don't "need" their wheel guns to really "do" anything beyond go bang when they pull the trigger. A few have revolvers they hunt with, and I think I only know one guy that regularly carries a revolver larger than a J-frame for EDC. Everybody else just shoots them for fun. This gun looks like fun.

I don't plan to buy one, but it's still kind of cool.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Waders

The gun appears to be intended as a range toy, or more of a plinker. It's trying (a bit too hard) to be unique, yet shootable. The birds head grip, slab side barrel, straight-wall cylinders, yet sights you can adjust.

Sure, this revolver isn't going to be much fun in a bullseye league, nor shooting 300 gr bullets at "Linebaugh speeds." But, it will be fun with a group of guys plinking. Having 2 cylinders will make it fun for casual shooting and stepping things up a bit with a stiffer .45 Colt load. I'd like to shoot a few cans of store brand pop with it!

Most guys I know don't "need" their wheel guns to really "do" anything beyond go bang when they pull the trigger. A few have revolvers they hunt with, and I think I only know one guy that regularly carries a revolver larger than a J-frame for EDC. Everybody else just shoots them for fun. This gun looks like fun.

It is kind of cool, but when you put 'Carry' in the name and it weighs more than a like production model with the same barrel length, you've missed the mark.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RemModel8

It is kind of cool, but when you put 'Carry' in the name and it weighs more than a like production model with the same barrel length, you've missed the mark.

I agree it's an odd choice for a carry gun. But like I said, it's place will be as a plinker where weight won't be a factor.

Wade

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I agree it's an odd choice for a carry gun. But like I said, it's place will be as a plinker where weight won't be a factor.

Then why didn't they call it the Plinkerhawk?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Kinda seems like it's a Smith and Wesson Mountain gun wanna be.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then why didn't they call it the Plinkerhawk?

Its name doesn't determine its use. Besides, we agree it's not ideally suited for EDC.

As a general shooting iron, I still like it. Enough to buy one? Probably not. But, I still think it's kind of cool.

Wade

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Nice looking piece. I like the non-fluted cylinders look.

But, I'm good with my Blackhawk 45 convertible with 4 5/8" barrel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had an old S.S. Sheriff model Birdshead Vaquero 3.75” bbl. it was a good shooter. It handled full power Ruger loads nicely. IIMO the plow handled Rugers would bite your hand more. It was a good big bore woods carrying revolver.
I traded it for a Ruger 77 30-06.
The new above revolver probably won’t shoot Ruger only loads.?
Me personally don’t care for the looks of it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Maybe when they offer one in burnt bronze like the Wranglers??

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I dug this one out of the safe this morning. It's a 4 5/8 barrel, .45 Colt Ruger Vaquero. Case hardened frame. It's a great shooter, and with the Mernickle holster, makes a decent CCW piece as well.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sam......

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Put me in the kinda like it crowd. With ball ammo in ACP and regular Long Colt ammo it would be a joy to shoot. Most things and places in the lower 48, that's going to be plenty. I've got a 460 snubbie for the 335 grain hardcast stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
110 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.