Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This is 30-06 ammo. Stamped "U 43" . The steel can it came sealed in was labeled "repackaged 50 HAW". I'm assuming it was repackaged in Hawthorne Nevada in 1950, but a friend was telling me this may be collectible and worth something. I don't see it, as it was said to have corrosive primers. I won it at a local military rifle shoot. What say you guys in the know?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
For what it’s worth from this end of the country - not really collectible, unless it’s a niche fill for someone.

Local shop had a couple 1k lots of similar GI ammo in 20 round boxes from an estate, and 30-06 match in 20 round boxes for $20-25 a box - wasn’t moving last I looked.

The match ammo was dated by year, late 50s through the 60s.

They also had five of the Greek 30-06 ammo cans - those went fast at $250-ish.

You’re probably looking at about $1-$1.5 a round to move it - JMHO.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AH64guy
For what it’s worth from this end of the country - not really collectible, unless it’s a niche fill for someone.

Local shop had a couple 1k lots of similar GI ammo in 20 round boxes from an estate, and 30-06 match in 20 round boxes for $20-25 a box - wasn’t moving last I looked.

The match ammo was dated by year, late 50s through the 60s.

They also had five of the Greek 30-06 ammo cans - those went fast at $250-ish.

You’re probably looking at about $1-$1.5 a round to move it - JMHO.

Thanks AH64guy. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being stupid by pulling all the bullets and discarding the corrosive primers. That gave me a chance to take a look at the inside of the brass. Its worth more to me as a component. My buddy told me that he thought I was screwing up by pulling everything apart. I told him I wasn't planning on shooting any of it through any of my rifles with those primers. Probably not a big deal, as I could have just washed out the bore with soapy water. However, this way I can load those 150-152 gr FMJ bullets in my AR10 308 and use the brass in my 30-06 rifles.. I told him the boxes may be worth more than the ammo, but I'm still not concerned about that either.

Here's a little bit of it. It cleans up good:

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
According to--U.S, GI non-corrosive primers, by Dick Culver
Protocol of headbase stamps for U.S manufacturers---

There is no listing for HAW or for Hawthorn Nevada

Maybe the list has been updated.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If it were mine I would just shoot it up, and then follow cleaning protocols. No big deal.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
This ^^^^

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Had two relatives worked as civilian employees at Hawthorne and Sierra Army Depot at Herlong for their whole career. Trying to keep this post short...I would be very surprised if there was any increased value in your ammo. If your Pabst Blue Ribbon comes out of the store in a Kroger bag or a Piggly Wiggly bag...it's still Pabst. At Sierra Army Depot, for years they burned old inventory corrosive ammo in huge pits and covered them over. I seriously doubt any was released through CMP. At Hawthorne they released a lot of AP through the Property Disposal Office, which I purchased for Hi Power practice. Never saw a dated headstamp that could have been corrosive.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A couple of thoughts off the top of my head. You likely already know that before you reload the brass you'll need to remove the primer crimp. And, how do you know the primers are really corrosive? I've shot a lot of G.I. 30.06 ammo from the 50's that was not.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well atleast this way no corrosive chemicals were sprayed thru the brass from firing. I load and shoot a tremendous amount of 30-06 brass that is from 60 to 80 years old. It hasn't given me anymore problems than newer commercial brass. No, I don't use max loads in it. When you shoot a deer can anyone tell the difference of how well a 3000fps load did compared to a 2800fps using the same bullets at the same range, with the same shot placement? Reprime reload, and shoot the hell out of it. M B

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Well atleast this way no corrosive chemicals were sprayed thru the brass from firing. I load and shoot a tremendous amount of 30-06 brass that is from 60 to 80 years old. It hasn't given me anymore problems than newer commercial brass. No, I don't use max loads in it. When you shoot a deer can anyone tell the difference of how well a 3000fps load did compared to a 2800fps using the same bullets at the same range, with the same shot placement? Reprime reload, and shoot the hell out of it. M B

I agree Magnum Bob. I ended up on another site doing some research and some of the guys said that the corrosive substance from the primer will contaminate the brass. This brass still looks new on the inside, so I'm glad I didn't shoot it and ruin it. Reminds me more of Norma brass, but it appears to be thicker. I am hoping it will last a long time, but may need to be re annealed?

Originally Posted by super T
A couple of thoughts off the top of my head. You likely already know that before you reload the brass you'll need to remove the primer crimp. And, how do you know the primers are really corrosive? I've shot a lot of G.I. 30.06 ammo from the 50's that was not.

This ammo is stamped "U42", so I'm assuming it was produced around that time? I may have put in the op that it was stamped "U 43", but that was the box of LC 43 brass I also got from the gentleman at the shoot that day. I also knew I'd have to swage the primer pockets. All of that is behind me and the brass is shiny and clean with new CCI200 primers in it.

This picture was taken when I pulled the bullets. To me, its worth more as usable reloading components. I think for the most part, most of you are agreeing with me that the ammo doesn't have some sort of collector value. I'd also think the box it came in is probably worth more than the ammo, since it was more than likely corrosive primed stuff... Thanks for the input on this guys.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Had two relatives worked as civilian employees at Hawthorne and Sierra Army Depot at Herlong for their whole career. Trying to keep this post short...I would be very surprised if there was any increased value in your ammo. If your Pabst Blue Ribbon comes out of the store in a Kroger bag or a Piggly Wiggly bag...it's still Pabst. At Sierra Army Depot, for years they burned old inventory corrosive ammo in huge pits and covered them over. I seriously doubt any was released through CMP. At Hawthorne they released a lot of AP through the Property Disposal Office, which I purchased for Hi Power practice. Never saw a dated headstamp that could have been corrosive.

They may have known my grandparents. My grandmother made bombs in Hawthorne and my grandfather ran the welding shop on the base... Both civilians.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Mercuric primers were what damaged cartridge brass. I'm pretty sure that's pre 30-06 era.

It's the potassium chlorate primers a 30-06 shooter would be concerned about. They leave salts in the bore.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Mercuric primers were what damaged cartridge brass. I'm pretty sure that's pre 30-06 era.

It's the potassium chlorate primers a 30-06 shooter would be concerned about. They leave salts in the bore.

Thanks mathman. You are also needed in another thread where someone was asking about properly setting up rifle dies... I know you love that chidt..

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was made at the Utah ordnance plant

U or UT Utah Ordnance Plant (March 1942 to December 1943) - Salt Lake City, Utah; a division of Remington Arms.

Last edited by 79S; 07/04/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Utah Ordnance Plant: Manufactured exclusively during WWII and all production IS CORROSIVE!

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
It was made at the Utah ordnance plant

U or UT Utah Ordnance Plant (March 1942 to December 1943) - Salt Lake City, Utah; a division of Remington Arms.

Thanks John. I thought it might be UMC "U". I guess i assumed wrong? I was also wondering when LC started making ammo? The LC stuff looks just like this ammo, but is stamped "43". Also, powder appeared to be IMR 4064. Do you know what they used in this ammo way back then?

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As Mathman said IMR 4895. The NM load was 46.4 gr of 4895 I use H4895. With 175gr bullet seated at 3.340. The original bullet weighed 172gr and was a fmj.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman

The kernals are smaller in diameter than 4895. Looked much closer to 4064, but it was damn near 80 years old... Its lawn fertilizer now..

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Lake City started producing ammo in 1941.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
634 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,831 guests, and 1,421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.