Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by TheKid
The suggestion above that your equipment will be paid for in a few deer is a good one. When I was growing up the local locker would cut and wrap any size deer for $40, I think elk were $75 or maybe $100. I heard last fall from the guys at work that a deer is $125 now at the same locker and they won’t even do elk. The locker that will take elk is $275.
We can shoot about 7-8 deer and a couple elk a year here, plus we hunt out of state every fall. Wouldn’t take but one good season of tag filling to pay for a good setup if you can find the time.

Been processing my own meat for many decades and the equipment is long amortized. I cannot imagine handing the job over to someone else and walking away...

100% agree.....

I know the deer I shoot have been handled properly in the field and in the processing department when I do the work. "Mass grinding" at a deer processing facility doesn't excite me, nor does plastic wrapped meat set in a Styrofoam tray.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Get some really good knives like the pros use.They are made for the work and will hold a good edge.I like Forschner,F Dick and Dexter.They can be expensive but I have bought quite a few used ones on Ebay that were either new,like new or barely used.A good grinder is a must have too.Buy a good electric one and you will be happy.I personally like the #12 size.A big cutting board is good to have too.I use those big plastic lugs.They hold about 25lbs or so of meat.They are really handy if your making sausage too.And if you plan on making sausage,a stuffer is the way to go.Packaging the meat for storage,a vacuum sealer is the best method.Another method I like and will keep meat from burn for years is,put the meat in one gallon twist tie bags,then into Freezer bags.I used to use plastic wrap,but I like the bags better.I've found that when grinding meat for storage,I can slip one of those bags right over the head of my grinder and it really saves time as well as the mess of packaging later.I prefer chest freezer for storing the meat.They use very little electricity and seem to keep meat better too.Having the right tools for the jobs will make your like easier.There are a lot of books and videos that can help you get started.I feel you become a complete hunter when you can take an animal from the field to the freezer and eventually to the table.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/url

[url=https://postimages.org/][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by baldhunter; 07/03/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that this eve of the Fourth of July finds you and Eileen well.

This has been a particularly good thread in my view, which does happen from time to time and is why I like to drop by! wink

As you and most of the older posters know, we've been cutting our own game as well as helping friends out since '89 and if I had to guess I'd want to say we're somewhere around 175 deer, bear, sheep sized animals with 2 or 3 moose thrown in over those years.

This isn't a paid promotion by any stretch, but I've lost count how many times I've recommended "Slice of the Wild" to folks taking up hunting and/or meat cutting and in fact have given at least one - maybe more actually.... to deserving candidates! Even though we'd been doing it for years when the book came out, I learned a fair bit from the book. It's worth every penny - which coming from a Canuck running a $1.40 exchange rate is saying something, eh? laugh

For us, Jordan Smith's equipment list is pretty complete, though I will say that I built a tape dispenser that clamps to the table and allows one handed tape grabbing which is the proverbial "bee's knees" in my opinion. It allows one to wrap the slab of meat, hold the wrapped slab "just so" like we like to and then grab the chunk of tape with the other free hand. Much, much easier/quicker.

That said John, my goodness is it tough to get decent tape up here anymore. It doesn't seem to last more than a few months and then it's either not wanting to come off the roll or has lost it's stick..... Just the last few years I've seen that - must be either a cost saving measure or who knows what.... boo hiss.

Anyways sir, Happy Fourth of July to you and Eileen and thanks all for the contributions to a good constructive thread.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
what I been using for years
1- a very sharp knife
2 - a kitchen aide blender with the meat grinder attachment
that is all

Retarded,Rich,Famous
Hunting,Target Shooting,Women
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
baldhunter i agree i like to be self sufficient in every thing i do .i don't want to depend on nobody for nothing .if i kill or catch it i am going to clean it

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi Dwayne,

Thanks for the compliments on Slice of the Wild. Will pass them on to Eileen!

We've had the same experience with tape as you. Nowadays I don't stock up as much, instead buying it when we need more.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
tag for later

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I process all of my own game. I use 2 knifes, one with a really flexible blade for boning, and a grinder and then have a vacuum packer. That is all you need to process game.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
L
L
2 Victorinox boning knives, 1 modestly priced but effective vacuum seeler, and a 1/2 horse power grinder is all you need. You can cut steaks from the back straps and legs, stew meat from the shoulders and shanks, and grind the rest. I do believe in the vacuum sealer, the meat stays fresh for years. It’s incredible. I used a 1/4 horsepower for years and it was effective as well, but 3 deer might make a larger one more desirable.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (1minute, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 3,117 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.