Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by ironbender
Thought it that or the pesky reading comprehension. 😉

I comprehend the fact just fine, that you have added nothing to this thread. grin

So you reporting an anonymous outfitter's opinion is worthy, while adding your own silly no-experience opinion, yet a resident's opinion is not. Even though the resident has hunted them and intends to in the future?

I believe that is special.

And Clydesdale is just an idiot...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by CRS

I comprehend the fact just fine, that you have added nothing to this thread. grin

That don’t mean what you think it means.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 458Win

Events like that do tend to focus your attention and I still find it amazing how quickly thoughts pass through your mind. I guess that helps sort out your triage. I vividly remember thinking to keep track of the clients and not shoot if there was a chance of a pass through.

Pass throughs on a brown bear from a 9x19 LOL. Not something I hope I ever have to worry about. Way to stay focused and keep your clients safe.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DaddyRat

Events like that do tend to focus your attention and I still find it amazing how quickly thoughts pass through your mind. I guess that helps sort out your triage. I vividly remember thinking to keep track of the clients and not shoot if there was a chance of a pass through.

Pass throughs on a brown bear from a 9x19 LOL. .

You didn't inquire what his 9 mm was stoked with...

DF

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
When I go to AK after the BIG bears, I'll pack what the pros use: a subcompact 9mm. Should git 'er done.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by DaddyRat

Pass throughs on a brown bear from a 9x19 LOL. .

You didn't inquire what his 9 mm was stoked with...

DF

IIRC, Phil has stated he used hardcast lead bullets.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While it can be done with a 9mm, my rifle of choice when guiding is a 458 Win .
So you can read between the lines !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CRS

I comprehend the fact just fine, thpeople that have an opinionat you have added nothing to this thread. grin

It means exactly what I think it means. You passively aggressively insulting people, because they have an opinion and are not from Alaska. Simply pointing it out. .

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well put CRS and we've heard the same before. M B

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by CRS

I comprehend the fact just fine, thpeople that have an opinionat you have added nothing to this thread. grin

It means exactly what I think it means. You passively aggressively insulting people, because they have an opinion and are not from Alaska. Simply pointing it out. .

Nothing passive/aggressive about it. It was, and still is a fact. You don't have to agree, but that doesn't make it wrong.

Would you take Africa advice from someone that's never been and can't tell a kudu from an impala?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
458 So cool you are doing the big Nan re-creation. Please post photos. I was not aware he went through six stocks, his book mentioned three. I would love to see photos of the original, the repro and the 358. I keep thinking about reaming my 375 to the Weatherby round but why mess with perfection?

In my previous post I meant the 9.3x62 I would skip the 9.3x64 and go straight to the 375 H&H.

Not from Alaska but spent two seasons guiding fly fisherman and some hunting. Came close to needing to shoot a bear about six times. When they are close enough to smell and are popping their jaws it's time to train whatever you've got on whatever is the most vital shot possible. Never had to shoot one but came close to needing new skivy's a couple of times.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well I have had a close encounter with two grizzlies in my life, my 375 H&H did not look too big for hunting anymore, it seemed a tad big for the moose I was hunting, but not so much when facing the big bears.
Luckily we both went our separate ways.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tarquin
.. What caliber should I be looking at to keep the guide happy?

The net seems like a great place to discover
what will keep your chosen guide happy.. 😂

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by CRS

"Simply pointing it out" is extremely funny in light of :

You are accusing him of adding nothing when you are doing nothing but sucking up and virtue signaling with nothing. Like nothing... nada, zip, zero...

There is nothing P-A about Alaskans. If you are being an idiot, plan on being called on it. IB is probably a couple orders of magnitude more gentle in that regard than most. He simply pointed out the numbers of people making inane (I am being kind including yours in the group) comments when someone of Phil's experience makes a comment and they have to climb aboard as if it were their place to expound. I have guided for brown bears, shot brown bears, helped friends find and kill brown bears and generally have a lot of experience around them. When Phil talks, I shut up and listen.

Seeing you virtue signalling as if you had a clue is not really funny. It is sad. But then you have to go into into dry hump mode and call out IB for a very innocuous comment... it is all about a bunch of barnyard chickens fighting over the biggest grub sneezed up by the lead billy goat. And IB is just watching...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by CRS

Nothing passive/aggressive about it. It was, and still is a fact. You don't have to agree, but that doesn't make it wrong.

Would you take Africa advice from someone that's never been and can't tell a kudu from an impala?

More interested in waterbuck... how can you tell them?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Well put CRS and we've heard the same before. M B

Really?

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Boys, boys, boys...

Did I ever tell you, possibly several times, about the time I bounced binoculars off a griz at 3 yards... ?

Hell, that ought to cap Phil's yarn with his 9mm. At least I was "green" - not to mention unarmed ( read stupid) - the rifle being yards away in the boat, and I didn't kill the poor cuddly thing. Or she, me.

I recently disposed of the second pair of bottom-blown-out shorts.

I wasn't even wearing one of them at the time.

Sorry, I can't remember if they were Hanes or Fruit of the Loom....

Placement isn't everything, just most of it.

Last edited by las; 07/03/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Tarquin
.. What caliber should I be looking at to keep the guide happy?

The net seems like a great place to discover
what will keep your chosen guide happy.. 😂

+++++. exactly !!!

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Never hunted grizzly or Alaska, have only killed one bear and that was a black bear shot in his left eye at less than 20 yards while bow hunting elk, were I to go after big bears and recoil was a concern, I'd load one of my '06's like a baby 375 H&H mag, that load would be an easy to shoot 220gr Partition at 2500 fps, I would be surprised if any bear could contain that load.

Trump Won!
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You did notice that I have not posted anything about "cartridges" after Phil posted. cool

Now that the OP has picked a rifle, my advice would be to shoot it a bunch and become very comfortable/familiar with it.

BTW, I have been to Africa and Alaska both more than once.

Last edited by CRS; 07/03/20.

Arcus Venator
Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (10gaugemag, 117LBS, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.