Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I live in the land of big corn-fed whitetails and I still think antelope is my favorite. As most have said: it’s the field care that seems to make the difference.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Anyone who talksbad about antelope doesn't know how to cook game meat

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have shot 3 per season(2 does and a buck) in wyoming for the last 15 years. It is one of the best game meats out there. We normally have them skinned and broken down within an hour from being shot and have never had a bad one. By the way i DID NOT DRAW THIS YEAR FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 15 YEARS. Makes me sad.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Makes a huge difference on what they feed on.Sage brush country YUCK. Eastern Colorado on winter wheat and sorghum forage.Better than any other big game meat with the exception of maybe Rocky Mtn bighorn

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can't vouch for the RMB.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
after dropping the lope I dig a hole get a nice bed of coals going stuff the cavity with good stuff then rub seasoning on the body wrap in cheese cloth cover in sauce then wrap in aluminon put in hole cover with coals then bury leave for 24 hrs. dig up enjoy

Retarded,Rich,Famous
Hunting,Target Shooting,Women
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I gained 5 # just reading this. SUPER GOOD STUFF !! Ray

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The biggest problem with antelope meat is that tags are extremely hard to draw here in Idaho. The odds for most hunts are like 1 chance in 25. I've only managed to draw twice in my life. I got bucks both times and they were fine eating.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Saying that antelope tastes like sage, is like saying whitetails taste like corn. LMAO! The meat is fantastic. The biggest problem, is that many/most are killed during warm season. If you de-bone the meat-or at least skin and quarter-and go right on ice with it, it is fantastic and consistently tender. My wife would give away elk, before the antelope.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It doesn't taste like sage, just an off taste. Corn fed whitetail don't taste like corn, but they are darn site better than whitetail killed in hard wood forest or they eat river bottom forage.It is like comparing a beef finished off with ground wheat and corn vs grass fed beef. Anything an animal eats on a long term basis effects the meat taste.Go feed a pig garbage and compare it to one fed grain

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/04/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If sage brush makes a difference I think it must be where that sage is going. I have killed and eaten antelope in Nevada, Idaho and Wyoming and I have eaten antelope killed by others from those 3 states plus Montana, New Mexico Colorado and Arizona.
At least 3/4 of those I have killed were out in the planes and not near any farm land at all, and yet they have been delicious Some of those I have killed here in Wyoming were crop-eaters, but most are not. I can't always say about those I have eaten killed by other hunters (and 2 that I tried to eat --but gave up quickly) One killed in Az was beyond the ability to swallow and made me want to gag. In fact we gave it to my dogs and they would not eat it either.
Another killed in New Mexico was strong and would be OK if you were hungry enough, but NOT what I would have chosen. I was told the AZ goat was killed on sage flats, but I know nothing about the NM buck. Same with the Colorado antelope, which was ok, but a bit strong.

I killed 3 last year in Wyoming and my wife killed 2. All were excellent and of the 5, 4 were killed off farm land on request of the farmer. My buck was killed about 90 miles from the nearest farm and was as good as those we killed off the alfalfa fields. Why? I can only guess but I honestly don't know. Maybe a botanist could shed some light on this subject.

My guess is that some sage grows in places where it takes up something from the soil and makes the meat of deer and antelope taste strong but what ever that mineral is, apparently we don't have it in Wyoming. All those I have killed here were great.

The only ones I have eaten from Wyoming that tasted bad were not taken care of right, and you could make a good beef cow taste bad if you don't handle the meat right. Take pains with pronghorn. It's not forgiving like elk or some deer. But if you cool it fast and if you do my trick with the cold slat water, I am betting even those that live in places where the taste of their meat is often strong would be improved

Last edited by szihn; 07/04/20.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not had sheep or goats yet, but pronghorn goes to the top for me. Wish they were the size of an elk, but then they'd top out at about 80 mph

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

szihn +1

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You could be right Szihn. I have killed antelope in New Mexico and Wyoming, and though stronger,they were ok ,but were in that short grass prairie. Anything I have killed in Colorado that were remotely connected to sage brush were terrible.I even quit hunting them for awhile because I could not get them past my nose. When I finally got permission to hunt an bunch of land in eastern Colorado, there was a remarkable difference. I am no neophyte in taking care of wild game either.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My better half luvs antelope. She'll hand out the deer and elk steaks, but never the antelope.

She also never asks me when I'm going back for more antelope. She just asks when I'm going back for more sausage.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Ever had beef tainted with Tansy Ragwort?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

No, but I knew a Tansy Ragwort in 10th grade. And yes, she was tainted. She tainted all over my buddy Rex.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

No, but I knew a Tansy Ragwort in 10th grade. And yes, she was tainted. She tainted all over my buddy Rex.

Yeah, some of us were known by our first name at the clinic...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Oh, I like it pounded, floured and fried like hell just like deer and elk. To each his own.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Judman
Some of the best meat there is, snap a pic, bone em out get it cooled. Nothin too it

And again

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Some of the best meat there is, snap a pic, bone em out get it cooled. Nothin too it

And again

X3

These tards that drive around for half a day in 80 degree heat with the hide on probably do have antelope that tastes like schiet.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
560 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.