Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I am considering building something like a 338 Win Mag, but honestly, am only interested if I can find a good muzzle brake. For me, that much recoil needs to be tamed down some. The problem is, I'm really not a big fan of muzzle brakes due to the increased sharpness of the rifle's report. I understand they're are no brakes that are truly quiet, but I have read about Gentry's Quite brake and their claims it is quieter than other designs. Maybe this is like asking to have your cake and wanting to eat it too. Does anybody have any recommendation based on experience with brakes?

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Here is an in-depth test from 5 years ago:
https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/06/24/muzzle-brakes-field-test/

I will also say that a lot of people like the Fat/Little Bastard and Vais Brakes (http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/) gets a lot of love too.

Another option is Kampfeld. Karl does 2 different styles of brakes along with other amazing work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No loudeners for me, ever again.

If I absolutely must have recoil reduction, it'd be a suppressor.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hickman Rifles in CO Springs makes the best brake I have used. I tried a bunch of different brands before finding this one

Earl makes the brakes in house

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Vias, Litltle B from APA, or Holland. (Bench, PRS, hunting)

Are all top of the line

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com

He built a recoil sled and has videos testing his vs. other brakes.

I had one on a Ruger 450. Exceptionally effective on recoil, but hell on the ears. Bought a TAMR lineal comp. type brake this year. Not nearly as effective recoil wise, but I can shoot it with no ear protection with no issues at all

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I had multiple braked rifles when I was younger, then phased out of them due to a few noisy situations my ears havent gotten over. Anyway, I just had a lwt .300 WSM braked by Karl at Kampfeld and it is very nice. I would recommend it for a a hunting rifle. For a heavy barreled gun, I like APA's.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JPro

^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^ memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JPro

^^ME TOO^^

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well why not? It’s like power steering on a vehicle!!! 🤣🤣

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Judman
Well why not? It’s like power steering on a vehicle!!! 🤣🤣

Never got tinnitus from power steering.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya, never had my eardrums blown the fuuck out from manual steering either. 🤣

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into these. I'm not a fan of increased noise, but also want a light rifle that is comfortable to carry and shoot. Have to make a compromise somewhere I guess.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into these. I'm not a fan of increased noise, but also want a light rifle that is comfortable to carry and shoot. Have to make a compromise somewhere I guess.

gatekeeper, everyone has different comfort/ tolerance to recoil. Depending upon “how light” you desire the rifle, it can be “tamed” without a brake, for bench-work! In a hunting situation, recoil is lessened (with the possible exception being prone) using field positions, few rounds are fired, and recoil is generally a non-issue.... without having a brake! My wife has taken several head of game shooting prone with her sub (barely) 9 pound, “non” braked, .338 WM. It all comes down to what you see as comfortable/tolerable. Try you chosen rifle from the bench and in replicated field positions “without” the brake, if you’re not comfortable ....try one of the mentioned brakes!

I worked with a friend’s 8 MM Remington Mag. with a Gentry Brake....it was pretty tame, and probably offered “less” noise than conventional brakes. But, I’m pretty certain that it “did not” give maximum recoil reduction.....and was still to loud to hunt with, without ear protection! JMO. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I would suggest having the barrel threaded for a removable brake. You can put on the brake for extended range sessions. A good brake will reduce ~40% (or more) of the recoil from the 338WM. That would put it In unbraked 30-06 territory. Maybe a bit lower. I would suggest double hearing protection when shooting with the brake on. Earplugs underneath ear muffs.

For hunting, I would remove the brake and put on a thread protector. Probably still suggest at least earplugs. I hang a pair around my neck so I can slip them in when I start preparing to shoot.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Didn’t see an answer I was hoping for brake with decent reduction & decent noise level. Suppression nor legal in CA - they would prefer all hunters be deafened frankly.

Daughter’s fiancé new 300 weatherby beating him up in load development & if he buys one I don’t want to be deafened. I have a custom braked 7 Mag that is loud but not horrible gunsmith doesn’t do them any longer.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If you have a brake, you are going to be hunting with hearing protection. If you don’t, you suffer the consequences.

Brake+hearing protection is better on the ears than no brake, no protection.

In my opinion, a brake lets you see hits in hunting/glassing situations where plenty of time is there to look animal over and slip in hearing protection which honestly takes a second. Busting through the brush with a braked rifle is probably not the best idea.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
If you're worried about the recoil from a .338 Win Mag,go to a .338/06 instead.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,072
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.