Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Found this guy on Youtube, kinda like his content.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

BP-B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Some years ago I considered a shotgun for HD. I had myself, wife, and two kids in the house. Questions I wound up with were these. Place of gun storage? Authorized access versus unauthorized access? Likely points of threat entry? Likey lanes of fire? Likely locations of family members? Then in the absence of youtube, I conducted my own ammunition and barrier tests. I opted for a handgun in a lock box.

I saw one of that guys other videos. I liked it.

Last edited by Earlyagain; 07/03/20. Reason: Typos
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My house's exterior walls are 6x8" pine, interior walls are pine tongue and groove, live alone, nearest neighbor is over 200 yds away. My shotguns have either #4 lead or steel BB as first shell, followed by 4 buck. If I start feeling the need, it will be 4 buck followed by 1 buck! I also have 00 buck, but consider that an outdoors load. grin

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have me, wifey and dog so i can use whatever I want i usually keep buckshot or #4's depending on whether or not it's crow killing time too laugh

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I feel confident with #4 buckshot . I shoot the shotgun most every range trip to stay familiar with it.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Inside a home there’s nothing better. Never met anyone who could take a load of #8 at close range and shrug it off. Buckshot is for the great outdoors.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A field load of #4's or #5's inside a typical house would get the work done without being too much of a good thing.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We have a "safe" room at each end of our house.

If I hear something in my house, my wife goes to the safe room with her cell phone...calls the police...tells the intruder where she is and that she is armed. She keeps the police on the line...and shoots anything that tries to come through the door.

My job is to get to the other end of the house where my daughter sleeps. We go to the "safe room", her room, and do the same.

I am not going to try to clear a house. And if I did, it would not be with something someone could grab and take from me...like a shotgun.

A shotgun is fine from a defensive position.

My wife and child both know to stay low on the floor in our "safe rooms". If either of us HAS to fire...it really doesn't matter how many walls the bullets penetrates.

I learned something while working at a medium security prison...you can quail almost any threat by firing "rubber" bullets chest high.

Chest high...fired from a low position...but, not rubber bullets...that's the plan. Hope I never have to act upon it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bought some Hornady critical defense loads for my .410 Rossi single shot shotgun.

They have on .41 cal bullet, followed by two .35 cal balls.

At 15 yards, the bullet hit sideways, 12" below POA, and the two balls were 1" apart, 3" below POA.

These loads must be designed for the "Judge" which has riflings to spin the bullet?

They sure do NOT work in a smooth bore shotgun.

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone know if "rifled" slugs will spin and pattern out of a .410 shotgun?

I know the Hornady three ball/one bullet load will NOT pattern in my single shot .410

Bought some three 000 buck loads that work pretty well, but more would be better

Not sure if I can even find any of these slug loads right now anyway.

Might be best to get the five 000 3" buck load, IF I can find any of these!

Thanks!

Virgil B.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Those "flutes" Lon a so called "rifled" slug are for show. They do not catch the wind and spin as they travel down range. I have a couple of slug moulds which do not have the flutes and those slugs shoot as well as the factory ones.

I'm pretty sure those slugs will "pattern" but how well they will group is up to the individual gun and slug. In the larger bores I have found one brand to work better in a particular gun while a different brand of slug may work better in a different gun of the same bore size. One can only buy a mixture of slugs and try them. Then go back and buy more of the one that did the best - if any can be found.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
woodmaster81;

Thanks for the tips!

Now to see IF I can find any slug loads for my .410

Hope they don't hit sideways like the critical defense .41 cal bullet did.

Virgil B.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Theres a guy in youtube that takes 8 or 9 shot shells and pours wax in them so it behaves like a slug until it enters something.

Pretty impressive.

The lawyers may eat you alive if you use those shells...

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
00 buck , if I can't keep them all in a man at 10-15 feet I'll use a baseball bat.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Most likely should change my 00 Buck to #2's or BB's . Things don't always go as planed and a load of 2's to the chest the recipient won't be standing there asking for my wallet.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"At 15 yards, the bullet hit sideways, 12" below POA, and the two balls were 1" apart, 3" below POA..."

Virgil, try it again at 15 feet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I mostly want a buckshot load for big cats that might come in my yard.

We have Cougars around here.

It's 30 yards across my front yard, and would like to be able to reach the far side.

Am thinking a 5 ball load of 000 buck might work pretty good.

I've got my Glock 19 for 15 feet, and it's on me, or within reach 24-7

Virgil B.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
At 20-30 yds #3 buck will pass through a 250# boar on a broadside shot to the chest and kill other hogs standing behind it. Did the 3’fer thing, uh, 3 times up in GA about 25 years back. Keep the occupied rooms and neighbors in mind when you start shoot heavy buck in a house. Birdshot will halt the debate w/o putting innocents at risk. For that matter, birdshot will put a deer down instamundo at 10-15’.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's about 1/2 mile to the next house from where I live.

No kids to worry about with over penetration.

Have had Cougars sighted within 200 yards of my house....

My Wife heard one "scream" a while back.

And, my nearest neighbor woke up to one killing a deer in there yard one night.

Thanks for the information!

Virgil B.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I may not have been clear in the point. Cats or people, you’ll have better results with smaller buck. A couple or three dozen holes are more effective than 8 or 9. Smaller shot generally patterns better than large. I’ve killed full size pigs out to 40 yds or so with a 20 ga, 2-3/4” #3 buck load. Boom and flop. Went pig hunting a few times with 12 bore 00 and had to shoot several twice. Blind belief in 00 or 000 as a problem solver may lead to some surprises.

I am..........disturbed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 3,105 guests, and 1,437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.