Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#14866217 05/10/20
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone have experience using a Ned rig technique? Read blasphemous things like “it is Senko like in how it catches fish”. I always liked the idea of Texas rigging a floating finesse worm. Watching random YouTube’s and stumbled on this Ned Rig stuff.

I’m a sucker for keeping a 5” weightless senko tied on constantly for fishing less than 5-7’ of water. I’m far too impatient to wait for a 5” to sink longer. A rod with a Ned rig seems like a nice way to work the bottom of the water column.

I have zero personal experience with them, hence me asking for first hand accounts. It just seems like a technique worthy of a dedicated rod?

Last edited by woodson; 05/11/20.
GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look at Z Man TRD Ned Rig set ups. I used these a lot last year when it got hot and the bite was off for everything else I tried.

The Z Man combination I used was a light jig head with a light wire hook and about a three inch geen pumpkin senko shape but a lot tougher plastic worm. I used it with both med/lt & lt spinning rigs, 10 lb braid and a three or four foot fluro leader. It worked in shallow water or depths up to 20 feet.

There's a lot of info on the web. re this and there's other ways to fish it. Looks to me it's just a light tackle way to bass fish. No question it works. I caught bass from about 12" up to 18" on it over three or four days during mid summer. From what I've read it will work at any time and some bigger fish are also caught with this method.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Im a believer Z-Man Finesse with the ShroomZ jigheads , the bait stands up . Work it across beds , fish even hit it while it's falling .

I use a 7ft medium rod .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Zman. The lighter heads are more effective, but are harder to fish in the wind or deep. To me it fishes more like a shakey head than a Senko. I usually keep a rod rigged with a Ned onboard.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a jig and plastic "do nothing" finesse technique. And it works, especially so with turned off fish. If you want a weightless Senko on the bottom, use a Carolina rig.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Ned rig catches fish when nothing else will. It's spooky good. Any shape jig head will do, but the mushroom or flat-head types made specifically for the Ned rig are best. It is essential to use a Z-Man bait because a) they float, which is critical, and b) they are indestructible. Put one on and add a drop of superglue and you can catch 100 or more fish on one bait. That's no exaggeration. (I pre-rig one bait of each color with a jighead and glue and drop it back in the bag, ready to go. I buy chartreuse, white, and black jigs, in 1/10 to 1/8 oz, that's all.)

Use a light spinning rod spooled with braid 6# to no more than 10# and a fluorocarbon leader.

The three best Z-Man baits are the original TRD, the Hula Stick, and the smaller CrawZ. I like the colors of PB&J, Smelt, Watermelon, and The Deal for the TRD and Hula Stick, natural craw colors for the CrawZ.

Cast, watch the line as it sinks (lots of hits on the sink) and when on bottom, just VERY slowly drag or make tiny hops. The big mistake is to fish it too fast. Let that tail rise up, wiggle in the current, and flutter on its own. They can't stand it. Set the hook quickly, but not violently - those light wire hooks penetrate like needles.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks dude. That answers a lot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by K1500
Zman. The lighter heads are more effective, but are harder to fish in the wind or deep. To me it fishes more like a shakey head than a Senko. I usually keep a rod rigged with a Ned onboard.

THIS

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What power, length and action do you like to use with Ned rigs?

woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So I ended up buying a Dobyns Fury 702SF and paired it with a Daiwa BG 2500. The BG is spooled with suffix 832 braid to a fluro leader. I’ve been using a 1/6 ounce weedless mushroom head jig with a Zman Crawz bait. I can say, for me, the Ned Rig is worthy of its own rod in your arsenal. Just a very productive bait. The action on it is so good you can see why bass smash em.

I have found you can’t fish these slow enough, you absolutely don’t need a devastating hook set(fine hook will bend) and the plastic baits last forever.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I have a lot more bass I could post but yeah. Super productive technique. Still using the original jig (no paint remaining) and the original Zman Clawz bait.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Tag

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
These are real effective on smallmouth.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I've had decent success with the Ned. However, I usually only fish it when there isn't a ton of vegetation as the exposed hook can get caught on a lot of stuff. I'll use the Ned when several other things aren't working and I have to switch it up.

Last edited by Loper; 07/14/20.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The Ned rig catches fish when nothing else will. It's spooky good. Any shape jig head will do, but the mushroom or flat-head types made specifically for the Ned rig are best. It is essential to use a Z-Man bait because a) they float, which is critical, and b) they are indestructible. Put one on and add a drop of superglue and you can catch 100 or more fish on one bait. That's no exaggeration. (I pre-rig one bait of each color with a jighead and glue and drop it back in the bag, ready to go. I buy chartreuse, white, and black jigs, in 1/10 to 1/8 oz, that's all.)

Use a light spinning rod spooled with braid 6# to no more than 10# and a fluorocarbon leader.

The three best Z-Man baits are the original TRD, the Hula Stick, and the smaller CrawZ. I like the colors of PB&J, Smelt, Watermelon, and The Deal for the TRD and Hula Stick, natural craw colors for the CrawZ.

Cast, watch the line as it sinks (lots of hits on the sink) and when on bottom, just VERY slowly drag or make tiny hops. The big mistake is to fish it too fast. Let that tail rise up, wiggle in the current, and flutter on its own. They can't stand it. Set the hook quickly, but not violently - those light wire hooks penetrate like needles.

Really good info to have here. Thank you Rocky!!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
tag

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Loper, you can rig a Ned Texas style or like you would a shaky head - with the tip of the hook buried. That makes it weed and rock-resistant.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.