-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think just about all of us are able to figure what works best for ourselves on our ground. My duplex-equipped scopes will continue to be sighted about 1 to 2 inches high at 100 for quick shots at any sane (for me) range, but the ones with extra aiming points are now zeroed at 100, well within the opportunities I've had in recent years, and the secondary points used farther out. Even my Grendel is only a bit low at 150 with a 100-yard zero, and its a simple matter to range various points within view from any vantage point and select the magnification that works. Typically, all my scopes stay on the lowest setting until I think more Xs are in order.

My only scope with a "tactical" reticle is a SS 6x42, and actual tests have proven to me that it's too fine for dim light, for me anyway. Show me a FFP reticle that works for me in low light (without illumination) at low magnification and I might give it a go. I say "without illumination" because of all the scope-setting sins, the one I'm most likely to commit is killing the battery by leaving the light on.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by DANNYL
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
This one is better but tough to see the elk because it took me too long fumbling around with the camera. There’s a good 6x6 in this image.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Thats a good picture. Then spent awhile trying to find the elk. Is that him near the tip and behind that one spruce.

Sure is!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DANNYL
This one is better but tough to see the elk because it took me too long fumbling around with the camera. There’s a good 6x6 in this image.

Thats a good picture. Then spent awhile trying to find the elk. Is that him near the tip and behind that one spruce.

Sure is!

I thought that looked familiar. You put a great shot onto him.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's a great image, and the "Where's Waldo" thing with the elk is icing on the cake.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
You can also borrow a little trick from the crossbow boys and use the power selector to fine tune the extra aiming points to the range and your load. I futzed around last night with the Burris Reticle Analysis tool and got some useful looking results for my Grendel, which has an E1 4.5-14 mounted. Gonna take the PDFs I captured to the range and try it out when I get a cool, still day. This is for SFP scopes, of course.

From this morning:
Top is using secondary aiming point at 9x at 200 yards.
Bottom shows actual drop, fired at 14.5x

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Really just a little range exercise. The secondary aiming points in that scope are too fine to be of much use in dim light. I was struggling a bit today as the sun kept going behind clouds. If I were hunting and had a 200 yard poke offered, I'd just hold a hand high and shoot. Might work in the "gopher woods".

Last edited by Pappy348; 06/30/20.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
up to 500-600 meters use human eyeballs anything over that a 8-36x50 scope

Retarded,Rich,Famous
Hunting,Target Shooting,Women
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’m really enjoying the Ballistic Plex in my 708, the hash marks work almost perfectly at 100,200 etc out to 500 Metres
And before anyone asks the scope stays on 9X , as does my 3-9SWFA , which has been my practice for the last 40 years

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
My progression over the years has evolved from scopes with standard duplex type reticles (fixed and variable) to SFP BDCs to FFP mil quad reticles. I never had issue killing game with any of them. But after trying the FFP mil reticle scopes, I am sold and have no desire to go back to the others. This system certainly makes things a lot simpler and takes much of the thinking and gotchas out of the equation when you only have precious seconds to evaluate, decide if you are going to shoot, take aim and pull the trigger before your buck goes over the ridgeline.

I stayed away from those scopes for years because I had a stigma for putting a 20oz scope on my lightweight rifles. After I took the plunge and learned how to use mils, I felt like an idiot for not trying them 5 years sooner.

Almost exactly my experience. I still own a few BDC equipped scopes, but have a hard time using anything but my Mil/Mil FFP or fixed scopes anymore.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree about BDC; if I need to twist, I'd prefer a real dialing scope, and BDCs are often attached to scopes with "questionable" adjustments.

But for quick shots under the conditions I encounter, a secondary aiming point can be useful, if one has the presence of mind to keep the power dial where it belongs. Finding a FFP scope with a reticle suitable under conditions here without illumination is tough. As mentioned, even the reticle on the Burris I used on my Grendel is too fine. Gonna probably switch that one out for a standard FF 3-9 with dots under the crosshair, but a Weaver K6 is also available and would cut some weight. My shots are usually between 20 and 100 yards, so a rifle zeroed at 100 makes the most sense, and helps with threading the needle through brush.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
As long as those hash marks are measured in MRADs I agree, other than that, I have zero use for generic BDC reticles.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,541
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.