Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't know about coastal grizzlies but I live with the mountain type. I get these bears around the farm and they track up to the house if we leave dog food out at night. I keep a Browning BLR/ .450 fairly handy as a portable noise maker , yeah it bucks pretty hard...oh well. They like elk calves, chickens and dog food ...in that order....and love rancid carcasses of all flavors.
The .450 is my choice up close, 350 grain Barnes original.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is no substitute for being competent and comfortable with whatever rifle, or handgun or binoculars you choose to defend yourself with.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Phil have you shot the 375 Weatherby yet.? MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Phil have you shot the 375 Weatherby yet.? MB

Not this one

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Here is my bear rifle for what its worth ,375 H&H pre 64 action 22" bbl. My peep sight never fogged up once wink Huntable Brown bears are a 15 minute boat ride away for me here. Shooting 260gr Partitions. with 67gr of 4064, Thats all i can handle accurately and repeatedly out of the rifle, I am 6' 4" 245lbs. If your eyes close before the firing pin hits the primer go to a smaller caliber. Recoil struggle is real smile
'[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BCJR
Here is my bear rifle for what its worth ,375 H&H pre 64 action 22" bbl. My peep sight never fogged up once wink Huntable Brown bears are a 15 minute boat ride away for me here. Shooting 260gr Partitions. with 67gr of 4064, Thats all i can handle accurately and repeatedly out of the rifle, I am 6' 4" 245lbs. If your eyes close before the firing pin hits the primer go to a smaller caliber. Recoil struggle is real smile
'[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

wink Physics is a bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, a person has to know their recoil limit.

The 375 I own is a joy to shoot. Have shot over a 100 rounds in practice muItiple times at the range. Took 300gr TSX's at 2500 fps to Africa as a back up to my 404 J for buffalo. Even though I felt a 270gr would be just fine, and had a great shooting load at 2800fps. PH recommended 300gr. Pretty significant trip in both time and money. Why would I not listen to him? Did not matter to me one bit.

He did prefer an over 40 caliber for buffalo though.

If I would ever take my 375 on a big bear hunt, I would just switch to a NAB. But I would prefer to take my 338-06, as I stated previously.

Phil, in your experience. Would you say bears are physically softer, and it is better to use bonded or partition style bullets over the tougher monometal bullets? Similar to buffalo vs cats in Africa. I know this is nitpicking, as either style of bullet in the right place will work

Last edited by CRS; 07/04/20.

Arcus Venator
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ve used a 375HH and have no complaints with it. People can bicker all day long but in then end people have found a way to make most anything work, I chose the 375HH and have no plans to change.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
30-06, 180-200 grain
NW Black bears are not really all that big.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A guided hunt is not that critical regarding caliber: bring whatever.

Step one: guide buzzes around natural feed troughs in bush plane(salmon stream choked with spawning salmon).

Step 2:
Guide drops down closest to area with most bear density

Step 3:
With almost no walking involved, guide puts tender footed city slicker on big scary bear.

Step 4:
City slicker shoots big scary bear (clean kill is optional)

Step 5
Guide mops up mess keeps mouth shut, many thousand of dollars involved.

Step 6
Take picture so that it makes big scary bear look even more bigger and scary.

Step 7
City slicker goes home, tells war story about big scary bear, if gun writer: writes three dozen worthless articles about how amazing all his gear is.

Step 8
Repeat.

What ah fkn joke-show. I could never do it.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 07/04/20.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mainer in Alaska
I wish you had a different attitude about hunting Alaska. I have read your stuff since you joined. I would love.to hunt with you. Maybe someday.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

Step one: guide buzzes around natural feed troughs in bush plane(salmon stream choked with spawning salmon).

Step 2:

Step 3:
With almost no walking involved, guide puts tender footed city slicker on big scary bear.

Step 4:

Step 5

Step 6

Step 7
City slicker goes home, tells war story about big scary bear, if gun writer: writes three dozen worthless articles about how amazing all his gear is.

Step 8
Repeat.

Me either !

How many like that have you actually been on ? Or witnessed ?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by 458Win
So far my personal minimum is a 9x19
Having read the "story", and knowing a bit about your background, I'd say that your "guest" were exceedingly lucky that you were able to manage the situation to achieve the best possible outcome !!! I expect time slowed down for you, at least a bit, as the event was happening. (Love your writing) Woody

"not too grumpy"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Step 2:

Step 3:

Step 4:

Step 5

Step 6

Step 7

Step 8
Repeat.

What do you mean, "There is no Santa Claus"...?!!!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by oldwoody2
Originally Posted by 458Win
So far my personal minimum is a 9x19
Having read the "story", and knowing a bit about your background, I'd say that your "guest" were exceedingly lucky that you were able to manage the situation to achieve the best possible outcome !!! I expect time slowed down for you, at least a bit, as the event was happening. (Love your writing) Woody

In situations like that time does take on a different realm. Unfortunately so does your reaction time and fine motor skills.
But you are right that there was a certain amount of luck involved. One of the primary ones being the two teenage daughters had decided to stay in camp with my daughter. The fact that both parents saw what was happening and simply grabbed each other and fell back without a sound was a blessing .

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Interesting comment that. Do you believe that bear would have killed you all had you not stopped it?

The way life should be.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by bluefish
My ss ruger 9.3x62 with 286 nps would get the nod were it my hunt.

Excellent choice and is what I would use. I've never shot anything heavier than a Speer 270 grain hot core in my 9.3 but I like your choice of 286 grain Partitions.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I don't have a .375 H&H but always liked it, and would own one if I had need. Carried a pre 64 M70 on FS Trail Crew many decades ago.

Helluva porcupine gun at 2am on tent cabin chewing SOBs that then run up a tree. Sometimes 2 or 3 a night.

The rain of quills is quite impressive. smile

I'm 150 # and can handle the recoil. Less mass resistance than you big bastids. Go with the flow. But then, I never shot it off the bench... probably where a lot of shooters hone their flinch.

Last edited by las; 07/06/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

Step 2:

Step 3:

Step 4:

Step 5

Step 6

Step 7

Step 8
Repeat.

Says the guy that takes "stunt shots" at moose....

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by las

The rain of quills is quite impressive. smile

That is hilarious!

Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

616 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,276
Posts18,448,425
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.