Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looking at a 3-9x40 for another rifle for my son. Budget is $200 going on a T3 243 hunting whitetail in mixed terrain. The Burris FFII 3-9x40 is a known good scope, that is good adjustments, good enough glass, will hold zero and can be had NIB from $135-199. The VX Freedom is an unknown to me in those three areas, will it hold Zero, adjust well enough to easily sight in (no dialing planned for elevation/windage etc) and glass quality.

The only reason I’m considering the leupold is it should have VX2 level glass and I think that might be better for dark timber or last light over a greenfield. I’d like input from those that have owned them.

The other side of me thinks the $60 I’d save with the Burris could be spent on components for loading more ammo fir my son to practice with and that would benefit him more than the slightly better glass.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hands down the Burris...with BP.

Both would work, for sure, but there's no issue using the Burris during legal shooting light. Ive got four of them...

Gradually sold off my Leupold, though I like them too....besides, nowadays Burris has the reputation for durability...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What he said, though I could go with an ordinary duplex as well. Those seem harder to find, on sale anyway.

What fresh Hell is this?
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
What he said, though I could go with an ordinary duplex as well. Those seem harder to find, on sale anyway.

The plex is my preference as well and just like you said you pay more for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No flys on the Burris FFll for those conditions. Put an early model 06 or 07 4.5 x 14 BP on a 25.06 for whitetail in a mix of timber, bean field, corn field and pasture. It’s held up great over the years. Glass is just fine for all light conditions, always held zero. Plus the BP works very well once you know the true yardages for each tenon. The only Leupolds I own are target/varmint which work well, but not as stout as the Burris.

Swifty
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The biggest difference to my eye is the eyebox. The Leupold is generous, the Burris is standard. The light gathering differences are not so great that I’ve noticed but I’ve not done side by side comparison at dusk. Both have adjusted to and held zero on squirrel guns and ARs. The Burris B-plex with three dots is not as intrusive as I thought, much better than the Nikon BDC.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Had two freedoms, glass slightly better than FF2. However both did the Leupold shuffle when zeroing them to the point it was comical. I didn’t keep the Freedoms long enough to comment on durability and zero retention.

Still have 4 or 5 Burris scopes.

Don’t overlook the Burris MSR. Same optics as the FF2 or E1 but with exposed elevation turret.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a bunch of Burris scopes, 2-7x, 3-9x, and 4.5-14x. Never had trouble with any of them, including the one on my Weatherby. They are supposed to be stronger than other brands, with springs on both sides of the adjustment, not just one. My vote is Burris. No flies on Leupold, though.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah strongly leaning towards the FFII and saving the money for powder. I KNOW I can mount it and not have to worry and that’s worth a lot. Glad to see others feel the same way.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've not had any negative experiences with any Leupold, including the VX-Freedom. But I like the Burris FF-II better.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One American made with no question asked warranty. One made in phillipines. And u have questions about the leupold? Leupolds one phillipino product is the Redfield revenge and it is noticeably lesser quality especially in the horrible eye relief category. Burris is an old phillipino word meaning 1" eye relief.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Swampokie
One American made with no question asked warranty. One made in phillipines. And u have questions about the leupold? Leupolds one phillipino product is the Redfield revenge and it is noticeably lesser quality especially in the horrible eye relief category. Burris is an old phillipino word meaning 1" eye relief.

Leupold means, keep sending it back to us, we'll repair it for free. But free definitely has its cost..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swampokie

😂😂😂😂

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Who buys anything made in the Philippines that you don't have to? Lol

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Burris. Dumped 2 Freedoms after a season of playing “where will it land today”.

Yup.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blindly buying stuff just because it's made in America without taking into consideration its quality isn't good economy. I'm willing to pay extra, and have on many occasions, for American-made quailty, but get pretty pissed when companies wrap themselves in the flag to sell less than honest goods. I'm even willing to chase a zero around a bit as long as it stays put once set, but hate surprises. I also notice that no one seems to do any flag-waving when the discussion turns to Swarovski, Zeiss, Tikka/Sako, SWFA, etc etc. Leupold, and to some extent New Haven Winchester (but not South Carolina Winchester🤔) seem to cause most of the Patriotic outrage. Anti-China sentiment I understand, but the Phillipines?

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have the FF 3-9x40 on what is essentially my “truck”
Rifle and it’s a great scope. Has held zero, easy to get on zero, decent eye relief. The low light glass quality is my only negative. And it’s not that it’s bad, just not great. That being said it’s a solid choice for the price. Can’t speak to the Leupold Freedom.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Iv'e a couple FFII's. No complaints here. I have a buddy who was wanting to scope his 06 with something plain jane, works but not too much $$. Talked him into a FFII 3-9 with the ballistic plex off Midway for about 200 bucks. Hard to beat in my opinion.

MAGA
N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
Sport Optics has Fullfield II 3-9x40 Ballistic Plex for $135.00 last time I looked.

444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yup saw that today

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

703 members (163dm, 160user, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 3,146 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,119
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.