Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Was servicing a HVAC unit out in the country, about 60 miles east of Memphis. Friend of mine’s place.

It was dusk and we were getting ready to leave, I told my boss I’d drive. I walked around the front of the truck, looked down in time to see a 2’ copperhead strike at my feet. I was out of his range. There were 5 adults and 5 dogs there, so I dispatched the snake. I love snakes and if I could have, I’d have captured this one and transported him to a more isolated place, but it was getting dark and I had no container to hold him in. Broke my heart to dispatch him, but that’s the way it turned out

If my boss Had come around to drive, I doubt he would have seen the snake, and probably would have gotten bit. He is one of those who have an absolute fear of snakes. He would have died of a heart attack long before the venom had any effect on him. And that is the truth.

anyway, I’m glad I did not get bit.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It happens that one has to die every now and again. Have had to kill more than one venomous one around places of work and homes.

Glad you're all safe.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I sure don't feel bad about killing copperheads if they are in or near the yard.

Bandit got bitten about 3 1/2 years ago when he was too young to snake train. Both dogs are snake trained now. They tell me when a snake is near.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Poisonous snakes are something I've never had to deal with. They're around, especially copperheads, although I've never seen one here on my farm. I have hunted all my life and have yet to see a poisonous snake alive out in the wild. I have ran over a copperhead or two, but that's been it as far as killing one.

Story here...........when I was a rural mail carrier, there was an old house place that was a good place to stop where I could take a leak without being seen. It was all grown up and weedy, and one day as I was stopping to pee, there was a huge copperhead there in the road that had been run over. The thought occurred to me that I might have pizzed on that snake at some point in the past.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Would the snake feel regret if it had bit you?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Poisonous snakes are something I've never had to deal with. They're around, especially copperheads, although I've never seen one here on my farm. I have hunted all my life and have yet to see a poisonous snake alive out in the wild. I have ran over a copperhead or two, but that's been it as far as killing one.

Story here...........when I was a rural mail carrier, there was an old house place that was a good place to stop where I could take a leak without being seen. It was all grown up and weedy, and one day as I was stopping to pee, there was a huge copperhead there in the road that had been run over. The thought occurred to me that I might have pizzed on that snake at some point in the past.

We have a lot of them in the immediate area here.

Not sure how many I've killed around the headquarters here. 30-40... maybe more.

Neighbor about 1/2 mile from me started killing them in his yard one day, and killed 9 adult copperheads in one day, right around his house.

Spooked the hell out of his not so country gal wife.. smile

On the upside, the whole area for several miles here has no rattlers. You have to go 25 miles or more to get into rattlers.

Not sure which is worse. I think rattlers are.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A few years ago, about this time of year, my wife was giving me a hair cut in the back yard. It was hot so all I was wearing was shorts. Our two young grand kids had played all morning bare footed in the yard. After she finished, I was folding the chair I had been sitting in and noticed a copperhead coiled about 7’ from us. He was only about 14 inches long but would have still caused a lot of discomfort if one of us had stepped on it. After a brief encounter with a garden hoe, it stepped off into eternity.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The copperhead is perhaps responsible for the most bites of any snake on this list. It’s not because the snake is inherently more aggressive, but because copperheads tend to “freeze” when met with approaching humans—instead of fleeing like most other, sensible snakes—and will bite when stepped on.

The copperhead also has what is believed to be the weakest venom potency of all pit vipers, which is a happy coincidence for the snake that is otherwise most likely to bite you.

https://www.land.com/lifestyle/most-venomous-snakes-in-north-america/

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My grand dad used to go under the house a couple of times a year with a single shot .410 to clear the rattlers out.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My personal rule with venomous snakes is that if they are in an area with a good likelyhood of coming into contact with people or pets, they die without a second’s hesitation. Out in the wild, live and let live...

Last edited by Dryfly24; 07/04/20.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The problem with copperheads is that they can be aggressive- - - - -delivering multiple bites on occasion. I load my .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk with "rat shot on steroids"- - - - -Put a pretty good charge of Bullseye or LilGun in the bottom of the case, seal it off with a thick card wad, fill the case to the top with #9 or smaller shot, and seat a .45 gas check upside down on top of the shot charge. A moderate roll crimp on the case mouth keeps everything in place in the cylinders not in line with the barrel during recoil.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
My personal rule with venomous snakes is that if they are in an area with a good likelyhood of coming into contact with people or pets, they die without a second’s hesitation. Out in the wild, live and let live...

I grew up in western Ks. Our rule of thumb was, if you see a rattle snake, kill it. Don’t know a person there that had a different philosophy. In the 20 years I lived there I probably killed a dozen.
Knew two people that were bit by them. Both survived but one guy nearly lost an arm.

NRA Patron
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by Dryfly24

I grew up in western Ks. Our rule of thumb was, if you see a rattle snake, kill it. Don’t know a person there that had a different philosophy. In the 20 years I lived there I probably killed a dozen.
Knew two people that were bit by them. Both survived but one guy nearly lost an arm.

I know a lot of people with that same philosophy and I totally get it. I just figure they were put here for a purpose just like any other critter - except for tarantulas. I hate the fuggers. Instant death sentence no matter where they are! grin

Last edited by Dryfly24; 07/04/20.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I send them to heaven.......

I’m not going to let them see the day they nail a dog or person......

Fudge them fang worms.....

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My wife was bit by a Copperhead last 4th of July Holiday weekend when we were visiting family at their vacation house at Bull Shoals lake in Arkansas.

We were a good ways from a hospital and it was not a fun experience. Ended up being a pretty nasty, painful situation and she was off work for a good while.

The only good Copperhead is a dead one.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
My wife was bit by a Copperhead last 4th of July Holiday weekend when we were visiting family at their vacation house at Bull Shoals lake in Arkansas.

We were a good ways from a hospital and it was not a fun experience. Ended up being a pretty nasty, painful situation and she was off work for a good while.

The only good Copperhead is a dead one.

I didn't know that had happened. Sorry she had to go through that.

I'm with you on the copperheads.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I figure any job delegated to venomous snakes can be done just as well by bullsnakes, garter snakes, etc.
We just have rattlers in our country (as far as venomous) - they will die, if I have my way.
Bull snakes give me a "start" - but will survive.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Glad things worked out and the SOB didn't connect.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Snake Lives Matter!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't Tread on Me!

“She never begins an attack, nor, when once engaged, ever surrenders: She is therefore an emblem of magnanimity and true courage.”…”but their wounds however small, are decisive and fatal:—Conscious of this, she never wounds til she has generously given notice, even to her enemy, and cautioned him against the danger of stepping on her.—Was I wrong, Sir, in thinking this a strong picture of the temper and conduct of America?”
The Rattlesnake is found in no other quarter of the world besides America
The rattlesnake also has sharp eyes, and “may therefore be esteemed an emblem of vigilance.
She never begins an attack, nor, when once engaged, ever surrenders: She is therefore an emblem of magnanimity and true courage
The rattle = the number of the Colonies united in America

Benjamin Franklin to his friend Christopher Gadsden

It was a pro revolution symbol of honorable self defense against the British tyranny.
They became the emblem of freedom in several parts of colonial America. Some wanted them to be the Mascot.

I respect Rattlers. 9 out of 10 Bites are from someone trying to kill them (occasionally catch). I've found a way to keep them away from your property without going through the risk of killing them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

368 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 1,719 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,364
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.