Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 300savagehunter
Hi I am looking for an easy way to get a sharp edge on my carbon steel and stainless knives. I am 72 years old and have tried for 50+ years to use a stone and all I accomplished was wearing the blade and stone away. I have a Lansky but again I wear the stones out and it is time consuming. I have a box full of electric chef sharpeners that don't work very well. I have a 7 inch buffing wheel but it isn't tight enough to sharpen a blade plus I'm not sure of what grit compound and how to apply it to saturate the wheel. How do the factories sharpen their blades? I'm tried of buying a new knife every time I want to skin a squirrel lol. I have good knives that are sharp for some time but they all lose their edge sooner or later. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Mike

After 50+ years, I'd say it's time for a course correction...

Just get one of these...and never again be tasked with the burden of having to sharpen a blade ever again...!

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by stxhunter
on the stones, I might spend several hours sometimes.

Geez. What kind of steel and what kind of stones? I am curious.

As for the OP you have a couple of choices. You can learn to sharpen on stones. Many good Youtube videos. Search for Cliff Stamp, Steel Drake, and Calton Cutlery. If you can't learn to sharpen from those guy's videos (which I doubt) maybe you just flat can't and need to move on. Up until youtube came along I could half azz sharpen on stones and used a Lansky jig. Then I learned the pieces of the puzzle I didn't know.

You can get a sharpening gadget. Jigs, mini belt sanders, pull throughs etc. Eventually you are going to need a way to "thin" or lay back the edge and some of these limit you on that. The better jigs are the KME and Edge pro.

Problem is that good sharpening stones and gadgets are expensive. So the third choice of something disposable could be just the ticket. I call em "glorified box cutters" but they certainly would solve your problem. Sell off your good knives, get a glorified box cutter and buy something else nice with the balance of the money.

A lot of knife makers offer a sharpening service. You can send a Buck in and they will sharpen it for you for a few bucks.....no pun intended.
one with nitro steel, a couple of s30v, and a couple of san mai 111 knives. the really hard Arkansas black stone is the one that takes awhile I just use the weight of the blade when I'm doing it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
I bought one of these a few years back,
https://www.edgeproinc.com/
have tried a few others and like this sharpener, you can hone the edge and then polish with 3000, once sharp its is a lot more durable and can tune it up in the field with a steel...

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer the Spyderco but it depends a lot on the moon as to how sharp it will get the blade.

wink But it does!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the replies

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Accusharp, they make them for scissors and axes too. No skill required so a perfect tool.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
A Work Sharp kit works great for me.

+1

Ted
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by krp
The rada weighs almost nothing and is small in the pack, easy to use, don't over think it.

Had a hunter kill an elk and pull out a havalin disposable blade knife and in a few minutes broke the blade off inside the cavity somewhere. If you want disposable buy a 5 pack of cheap paring knives, razor sharp and 2 or 3 will dress/skin an elk. Toss'm when done, weigh nothing.

Kent

my grandson broke off one of thos narrow blade disposables in an elk one time, that's when i went to the havalin.
i also bought a couple of the rada's after reading of them on here, they work pretty good.
my knife fetish was there before the firearms.
the problem is unlike my father neve could sharpen a knife worth a damn.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the heck out of the lanky mini croc sticks. Mostly on viki paring and boning knifes and pocket knives. The pocket size plastic deal with two ceramic rods. Good option for youR pack.

It’s like $5.

Sean
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
just got a rada based on recommendation here. Works well and is very easy to use.

First time ever uttered in our kitchen by my wife- "Ow that knife is sharp" lol

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
The Rada works, and is easy and fast. No, I wouldn’t run a custom or a $150 “nice” knife through it, but for blades that I look at as “tools”, and not “heirlooms”, it’ll get you within 90%-95% of where you wanna be (maybe not “razor” sharp, but extremely sharp).

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by RJY66
on the stones, I might spend several hours sometimes.

Geez. What kind of steel and what kind of stones? I am curious.

As for the OP you have a couple of choices. You can learn to sharpen on stones. Many good Youtube videos. Search for Cliff Stamp, Steel Drake, and Calton Cutlery. If you can't learn to sharpen from those guy's videos (which I doubt) maybe you just flat can't and need to move on. Up until youtube came along I could half azz sharpen on stones and used a Lansky jig. Then I learned the pieces of the puzzle I didn't know.

You can get a sharpening gadget. Jigs, mini belt sanders, pull throughs etc. Eventually you are going to need a way to "thin" or lay back the edge and some of these limit you on that. The better jigs are the KME and Edge pro.

Problem is that good sharpening stones and gadgets are expensive. So the third choice of something disposable could be just the ticket. I call em "glorified box cutters" but they certainly would solve your problem. Sell off your good knives, get a glorified box cutter and buy something else nice with the balance of the money.

A lot of knife makers offer a sharpening service. You can send a Buck in and they will sharpen it for you for a few bucks.....no pun intended.
one with nitro steel, a couple of s30v, and a couple of san mai 111 knives. the really hard Arkansas black stone is the one that takes awhile I just use the weight of the blade when I'm doing it.

This white and black speckled arkansas
been all over the planet.
Aint never had a drop of stupid oil on it. JMO....
Spit is all ya need....

STX nailed it.
At the end fine sharpening
Just the weight of the blade.
Takes me about 3 to 5 mins max to freshen an edge.
It's feel and angle and small forward going circles for me along the length then flipped over and repeat.
I dont lenght sharpen a blade on a stone in 1 pass, then flipped over and repeated.
YMMV....
Technique.....

Strop off on my blue jeans upper front thigh.
Many dont strop a blade to get rid of the micro curl on the last side passed.

What I call a dull knife others call sharp.
Seen it many times....
When ya hand a dude a sharp knife sometimes ya see a amazed look on their face when they get to work with it.

No pressure shaving is when ya know a blade is sharp.
Dont even wanna show the 1976 110.
That blade is evil sharp.
You could gut a man from his belly to sternum with that knife with one upward thrust and slice easy.
This is the modern buck 110 the ole lady found on the road walking grandog brady several weeks ago.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by renegade50; 07/04/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing works better than an EdgePro

Sam......

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by krp
The rada weighs almost nothing and is small in the pack, easy to use, don't over think it.

Had a hunter kill an elk and pull out a havalin disposable blade knife and in a few minutes broke the blade off inside the cavity somewhere. If you want disposable buy a 5 pack of cheap paring knives, razor sharp and 2 or 3 will dress/skin an elk. Toss'm when done, weigh nothing.

Kent

That might work for some people.. but when you break off a razor sharp blade in a deer or elk you can cut your finger to the bone feeling around inside the animal looking for the broken piece.. and its not funny..

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Hubert
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

That might work for some people.. but when you break off a razor sharp blade in a deer or elk you can cut your finger to the bone feeling around inside the animal looking for the broken piece.. and its not funny..

Not trying to bust on what you posted at all.

But why would anyone fish around blindly elbows deep or whatever in a abdominal or chest cavity for a broken knife like that.
Common sense to not do that.

Time to split the breast bone all the way up, pry the ribs apart and wedge a branch in em and finish the job being able to see what is what.....

Just saying.....

Last edited by renegade50; 07/04/20.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Mike, at this point in the game, why not just use a sharpening service. It’s inexpensive and it sounds like you have enough knives so you could keep one or two to use while you’re waiting on the next package of sharp knives.

You could learn to use a strop after each use to extend the time between sharpening.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Nothing works better than an EdgePro

^^^^^^^
Lmfao!!!

Had to check out "edge pro".
Cause the "SAGE" says nothing works better.
Holy schit..
All that rube goldberg schit just to sharpen a knife????
Models currently from 150 to 750 bucks online.
YGTBFKM........

Hahahahahaha!!!

I will stick with the 1985 white and black speckled arkansas stone bought out in the Springs at some knife shop in the mall when I was at Carson.
Cost like 15 bucks back then, one of the better ones they supposedly had in stock.

Glad I was a cub scout and learned how to sharpen a knife.....

I'm a dik........

LOL!!!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by Hubert
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Not trying to bust on what you posted at all.

But why would anyone fish around blindly elbows deep or whatever in a abdominal or chest cavity for a broken knife like that.
Common sense to not do that.

Time to split the breast bone all the way up, pry the ribs apart and wedge a branch in em and finish the job being able to see what is what.....

Just saying.....

cant give it up can you.?

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by doubletap
Mike, at this point in the game, why not just use a sharpening service. It’s inexpensive and it sounds like you have enough knives so you could keep one or two to use while you’re waiting on the next package of sharp knives.

You could learn to use a strop after each use to extend the time between sharpening.

A strop is a must have!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/sharpeners/powered/ken-onion-edition-knife-tool-sharpener/
Excellent knife sharpener, it's fast and gets a knife sharp. I do carry a blue and red diamond stone - steel in my pack for touch ups. Blue jeans or the upper part of a leather boot will finish an edge off beautifully. Holding a piece of butcher paper and shaving little pieces off will tell you if your knife is really sharp.

Life is good live it while you can.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

277 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.