Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Or anyone else with experience here. Looking to get a slapjack, aka sap, for novelty and/or conversational purposes.

Boston Leather seems to make a product that is well regarded and not very expensive at $24 - $44 depending on where you buy it. They make 2 ply and 4 ply versions of each model with only a one ounce difference in the Junior model I'm looking at - 9.5 oz vs. 10.5

They also make something called a "Denver" sap which has a straight handle and looks more like a lollipop and make them with straps along the shank or loops at the end of the shank. I'm thinking the one with a flair in the handle and a strap across the back of the hand would be better to retain. Also, any real difference that matters between a 2 ply vs. 4 ply? I'm thinking the 4 ply would just be thicker.

So - is this a good brand and are there any other good or better brands out there? And any thoughts on which is best for retention?

The Lineup

The one I'm looking at, their Model 5411, 8 1/4" and 9.5 oz.

[Linked Image from bostonleather.com]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
BP-B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Perv? laugh

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I carry a piece of auto freon hose folded in back pocket. Only needed it once. Impressive.
George

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
WTF difference does it make if it's just for novelty/conversational purposes ?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Carried issued one for thirty three years. If you hit a big guy with one it really pizzes them off and will get you hurt. Suggest a collapse style short baton with some type of loop on handle. Short piece of coated heavy chain with loop that hand slides through for retention is just as effective and less expensive. This is if you like close encounters. I don't and I am to old to fight, so leads us to your choice of cal in CCW GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The more expensive version would be a better conversation piece. A $5 ashtray is just an ashtray. A $20,000 Ming vase is something one can talk about.

1Minute
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Saps and Blackjacks have been a no-go for the entirety of my career.
The Chief that hired me had a lot of stories about the one he kept in his desk from the 'old days' when he was a young patrolman. I confirmed some of those stories with the recipients over the years
It was an effective tool. smile

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 1minute
The more expensive version would be a better conversation piece. A $5 ashtray is just an ashtray. A $20,000 Ming vase is something one can talk about.
I'd be just as impressed with the vase as the ashtray. Which is to say completely disinterested in both. A knife with a blade of 420 J2 stainless is just as good a conversation piece as an identical one with a blade of s35vn.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I imagine it is all in the quality of the leather and thread.
Maybe if the pellets are in a sack inside the leather.....??

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Saw an ad for a coin purse today that looked pretty neat. Folded over your belt and snapped in place. I'd look there if interested in that kinda thing.

Like this

https://www.ebay.com/i/303543469405...UPVB-Ub5YILh3XnImwOaKTGhDgsaAiTWEALw_wcB

Last edited by BillyGoatGruff; 07/04/20.

MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like this type. Carry in your pocket with the loop hanging out.

Stick your thumb through the loop and give it a flip as you pull it out to wrap around your hand.

All the weight is at the end and the braided handle absorbs all the shock to your hand.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Snyper

Stick your thumb through the loop and give it a flip as you pull it out to wrap around your hand.

All the weight is at the end and the braided handle absorbs all the shock to your hand.

Looks like Leroybean's husband's strap on

Last edited by ribka; 07/04/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

That is an excellent weapon!

Had one, but the leather was old and it was deteriorating.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Not as cool, a straight claw hammer. I'm not police, I'd thing if you were hauled in court, the hammer would look more like it was used for self defense than a fancy billy club.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
When I was in high school I worked as a carwash boy at a Chrysler Dealer. I found several of those saps and lead pelt gloves in the police trade in vehicles. Back then you could count on the officer making you pour out your beer.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

My brother in law was a cop for a while back in the 70's and carried one like this. He showed me how to hook your thumb in the strap and then wrap it over the back of your hand, that way if someone grabbed it and was about to pull you off balance you could easily release it. If it was looped around your wrist they then had a handle they could use to control that arm.

The thing with those is if you have a conversation with someone in the cranial region they tend to produce crushing injuries and lacerations since the force is concentrated in a small area. The flat ones can be used edge on for that effect but that's not what I'm going for. Your comment about shock to the hand made me realize why they have a spring steel shank in the handle.

Mostly just looking for a good quality item and about all I've found is 3-4 places selling these Boston Leather ones and one website that sells fantasy weapons has some no-name brand for under 20 bucks. One old article mentioned a couple of different websites but they must be defunct since the links lead nowhere and one link gave me a big anti-virus warning.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Not as cool, a straight claw hammer. I'm not police, I'd thing if you were hauled in court, the hammer would look more like it was used for self defense than a fancy billy club.

I'm mostly trying to find some options between running and a mag dump at close range. Thinking of getting some good mace in a pocket size container as well. A hammer, a sock and a roll of quarters, even a short piece of pipe filled with lead to be used as a sucker bar inside your fist are all effective but have drawbacks as to ease of carrying or ease of getting into action quickly. The novelty item under consideration can be carried unobtrusively in a back pocket where it can be brought out and used with one motion. If they are all classed as weapons then might as well use one that is proven efficient.

I've made a good living out of minding my own business but with the state of things today one needs to be prepared. And continuing with that, I'm just not sure an old white guy shooting someone who is a real threat of serious injury but who isn't actively in the process of shooting or stabbing me might still land me in a place I don't want to be. Options are good.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by wabigoon

I'm mostly trying to find some options between running and a mag dump at close range. Thinking of getting some good mace in a pocket size container as well. A hammer, a sock and a roll of quarters, even a short piece of pipe filled with lead to be used as a sucker bar inside your fist are all effective but have drawbacks as to ease of carrying or ease of getting into action quickly. The novelty item under consideration can be carried unobtrusively in a back pocket where it can be brought out and used with one motion. If they are all classed as weapons then might as well use one that is proven efficient.

I've made a good living out of minding my own business but with the state of things today one needs to be prepared. And continuing with that, I'm just not sure an old white guy shooting someone who is a real threat of serious injury but who isn't actively in the process of shooting or stabbing me might still land me in a place I don't want to be. Options are good.

Bear spray

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Remember when was "Don't take your guns to town?" That is the only place I do take mine.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim, you gotta stop hanging around all those snowflake joints downtown around Boise State. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
452 members (160user, 1Longbow, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 49 invisible), 2,013 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.