Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Are there any really compelling reasons to choose an AR pistol over a carbine or rifle?

Thanks.

ARIC

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Depends what you want to use it for. In Michigan, a gun has to be less than 26in in order to carry it under your CPL. Some people like to carry them in their car for that purpose. A rifle would have to be unloaded and readily inaccessible to the occupants. The drawbacks are less velocity and power, louder report and harder to hold steady and aim. "Arm braces" alleviate this to a degree.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
General purpose use.

I have two children that will be out of the house in a few years. Presently, I own two ARs. Seems as though I'm at least one AR short, and I'm wondering whether a I should consider a pistol or just add another rifle.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You can throw it in your truck loaded if you have a permit, just like any other handgun. You won’t be doing that legally in Pennsylvania with a long gun.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Captain
You can throw it in your truck loaded if you have a permit, just like any other handgun. You won’t be doing that legally in Pennsylvania with a long gun.

A few months ago I would've thought "so what?" Not anymore....

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I prefer a carbine for usage. Local laws may weigh heavily on your choice though, as already noted above.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
Are there any really compelling reasons to choose an AR pistol over a carbine or rifle?

Thanks.

With a extendable "brace" set up like the Ruger AR556, an AR pistol is for all practical purposes a legal, non-registered or taxed, short barreled rifle as far as I can see. Maybe worth having so that you're grandfathered in if the law changes. At least that was my thought when I bought mine.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

This is exactly why I have pistol registered firearms, as long as you have a pistol brace on you can have it in your vehicle loaded. You can run a 20 inch upper if you would like.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BamBam

This is exactly why I have pistol registered firearms, as long as you have a pistol brace on you can have it in your vehicle loaded. You can run a 20 inch upper if you would like.

This is exactly why I like to check in and ask questions on this forum from time to time. I hadn't considered that approach. So, as long as it's registered as a pistol, I can use an upper of just about any length but not vice versa, correct?

If I go with a pistol, would it be worth the money and hassle to get a suppressor? I just took a quick look around the Internet, and quality suppressors are selling for about as much as mid-priced ARs, not including the cost of the tax stamp.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

This is exactly why I like to check in and ask questions on this forum from time to time. I hadn't considered that approach. So, as long as it's registered as a pistol, I can use an upper of just about any length but not vice versa, correct?

If I go with a pistol, would it be worth the money and hassle to get a suppressor? I just took a quick look around the Internet, and quality suppressors are selling for about as much as mid-priced ARs, not including the cost of the tax stamp.

I have a Sig MPX with a 6.5 inch barrel, 9mm that I run suppressed, it’s a pistol so I can carry it in my vehicle loaded. I also have a Sig rattler in 300 blackout with a 5.5 inch barrel that I run suppressed, it is also a pistol. And I have a few AR, pistol lowers, I Can run any upper length I want with them, i usually stick with 10.5 to 11.5. Suppressed, Still loud as hell though :-) 300 blackout and 9 mm with sub sonic ammo no hearing protection needed. I have one S BR in 5.56 which I would never do again.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
A man should have both.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
A man should have both.

I couldn’t agree more, most of my acquaintances have both. Some people say a pistol is to fight your way to a rifle, Given the opportunity I’ll just start with the rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Something else to consider are the laws about concealment. Here a rifle can sit in the seat next to you, loaded or not, but in a vehicle a pistol has to be concealed or holstered.

If I’ve got a long gun with me in the car it’s in the passenger seat, in the truck it’s tucked in the crack right next to the drivers seat.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CMIIW, but I believe if you leave your state with a suppressor, you have to notify the ATF first.
I'm just answering this to make sure it gets the attention it deserves, I don't know first hand.

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Something else to consider are the laws about concealment. Here a rifle can sit in the seat next to you, loaded or not, but in a vehicle a pistol has to be concealed or holstered.

If I’ve got a long gun with me in the car it’s in the passenger seat, in the truck it’s tucked in the crack right next to the drivers seat.

True, you have to be aware of your local regulations. That’s a good deal you have in Texas I would take that in a heartbeat. I cannot have a loaded long arm in my vehicle. But I can have a pistol laying on my front seat, whether that would be a handgun or a pistol registered carbine .

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
BamBam,

Are there any shops and/or gunsmiths along the I81 corridor that you would recommend who really know their way around AR pistols and suppressors?

Thanks.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
BamBam,

Are there any shops and/or gunsmiths along the I81 corridor that you would recommend who really know their way around AR pistols and suppressors?

Thanks.

Coalcracker , Don’t know anyone up that way. I’m in Bucks County. I think the easiest way for you would be to order a pistol lower with the brace attached, ship to your nearest FFL, then buy a upper to suit your needs. As far as a suppressor I can put you in the right direction with an individual that I use, he is down by the old Willow Grove air base, straight up guy no BS. Other people will chime in with different ways of going the route that you want to go, you need to pick the Route that is the easiest and go with it.

https://www.gandrtactical.com/
Look at BCM pistol lower, SB tactical brace is one of the best if not the best brace at this time. There are other ways of acquiring A pistol carbine.,this has worked for me. You can build your own upper if you would like which I have done in the past or just buy a BCM Daniel defense LMT Colt, whatever you want.
I hope this works for you, best regards,Tom

PS :There are many on here with far more experience than me, hopefully they will chime in with other options.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
A man should have both.

I couldn’t agree more, most of my acquaintances have both. Some people say a pistol is to fight your way to a rifle, Given the opportunity I’ll just start with the rifle.

Don't under estimate the capabilities of the modern AR pistols when braced. Sure I don't expect to when the black rifle challenge with one, but I can keep 20 out of 20 on man sized steel at 250 yards, and typically around 17 out of 20 at 500 meters with M855 ball ammo. Sure my rifles better, typically good for 20 out of 20 at 500, but it doesn't fit in gym bag either.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think I'm leaning toward a .300 Blackout pistol with a suppressor.

Does anyone know whether you pay for the suppressor when purchased or when it's picked up after approval? Buying the pistol, some sort of iron sights or red dot, a suppressor and a tax stamp all at one time is a pretty big outlay.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think I'm leaning toward a .300 Blackout pistol with a suppressor.

Does anyone know whether you pay for the suppressor when purchased or when it's picked up after approval? Buying the pistol, some sort of iron sights or red dot, a suppressor and a tax stamp all at one time is a pretty big outlay.

300 blackout. Factory ammo is tough to come by right now, Even reloading components.I would highly recommend 5.56 easier to come by. Other people please chime in. The individual that I work with Will check for availability of the suppressor you are looking to purchase if he has access to it he will charge you for that suppressor. In the interim you can start your process for your paperwork. Your suppressor stays in his safe until your paperwork is complete submitted and return from the BATF. Right now wait times are 8 to 10 months some people little shorter some people little longer. I have one sitting in his safe waiting for the process to be completed. I would purchase your firearm first Get some time with it at the range, and then pick a suppressor up for it. If I can help you in anyway with your suppressor let me know I will put you in contact with the individual that I use.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Another option is 7.62x39. Ammo generally available.

Mine is 10.5" from PSA.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ammo availability is something I'll need to consider. My understanding is that .300 BLK is compatible with standard 5.56 AR mags, of which I already have a decent supply. 7.62x39 requires different mags, correct?

I don't know anything about suppressors. I would be looking for the "F150 equivalent" of suppressors - neither the cheapest nor most expensive, durable with a proven track record and good bang-for-the-buck value.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Ammo availability is something I'll need to consider. My understanding is that .300 BLK is compatible with standard 5.56 AR mags, of which I already have a decent supply. 7.62x39 requires different mags, correct?

I don't know anything about suppressors. I would be looking for the "F150 equivalent" of suppressors - neither the cheapest nor most expensive, durable with a proven track record and good bang-for-the-buck value.

Yes.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Sub sonic 300 blackout can have Reliability issues in A.R. 15 mags, Heavy and long projectiles ,this is what I have read. I use lancer 300 blackout Mags I have never had any issues with them. Montana Marines 7.62 x 39 Makes a lot of sense, I just might have to go down that road myself :-) all of my suppressors are silencerco they have been reliable robust suppressors, I can highly recommend them.I only have experience with them but there are a lot of nice suppressors out there.I would focus on picking out the pistol carbine first and then worry about the suppressor.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good advice, all. Thank you.

BamBam,
Maybe I'll send you a PM down the road for more info on your suppressor connection. I don't want to waste more of your time getting the particulars until I become better informed and unless/until this all comes together for real.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Mine is 10.5" from PSA.

Montana Marine, couple years back I was given A Colt 7.62x39 A2 upper 16" with 3 20rd?mags . I just pulled it out, I’m going to slap it on to one of my lowers I see how she shoots. If I like it maybe I’ll pick up a pistol upper,I think that would be a nice truck gun.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good advice, all. Thank you.

BamBam,
Maybe I'll send you a PM down the road for more info on your suppressor connection. I don't want to waste more of your time getting the particulars until I become better informed and unless/until this all comes together for real.

No problem at all, reach out to me anytime. I would definitely put your firearm purchase on the front burner as you can see everything Firearm related it’s becoming difficult to come by. I wish you the best of luck let me know if I can help.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Mine is 10.5" from PSA.

Montana Marine, couple years back I was given A Colt 7.62x39 A2 upper 16" with 3 20rd?mags . I just pulled it out, I’m going to slap it on to one of my lowers I see how she shoots. If I like it maybe I’ll pick up a pistol upper,I think that would be a nice truck gun.

I like mine. Haven't had any feed issues with ASC 20 round magazines. Got a couple C-Products 28-rounders to check out for reliability.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK. More decisions. It looks like I can save up and buy a pistol such as the BCM for $1,400 (if they ever become available again), or I can buy something like a Ruger or Sig Tread for $800 or less.

For about the price of a BCM I could buy a more entry-level pistol AND a suppressor. Or I can buy what should be a higher quality pistol and save another year or so for a suppressor.

I doubt whether I'll take the time to build my own, so this is where I'm at. Any suggestions?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Buy the one you really want and save for the suppressor. Not like you're going to get the stamp overnight.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yea. I can't remember ever regretting buying better quality gear.

My understanding is that it is customary to buy and pay for a suppressor and then wait months or a year for the stamp to be approved. That could mean shelling out for both the pistol and suppressor around the same time if I want the suppressor within the next 10 or 12 months. I guess I could wait on the suppressor until I save up for it, but it's tempting to buy both for the cost of a better pistol.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
OK. More decisions. It looks like I can save up and buy a pistol such as the BCM for $1,400 (if they ever become available again), or I can buy something like a Ruger or Sig Tread for $800 or less.

For about the price of a BCM I could buy a more entry-level pistol AND a suppressor. Or I can buy what should be a higher quality pistol and save another year or so for a suppressor.

I doubt whether I'll take the time to build my own, so this is where I'm at. Any suggestions?

https://www.gandrtactical.com/BCM-Pistol-Lower-WSBA3_p_1233.html

This is what I would do, it’s just me talking :-) Get your pistol lower first,IN Current times it’s going to be a little bit of a pain in the ass to get one. Call G&R and ask if they know where they’re going to get any more in, if they don’t just keep hitting their site until they get one in and hit the buy button :-)There are plenty of other places that you can look also. you said you already have a couple of AR’s slap a 16 inch upper on that pistol lower and you now have a pistol for your truck granted you’re not putting it in a backpack but in the interim save your money for a 10.5 inch upper, your choice of Manufacturer, don’t worry about a suppressor You can pick that up down the road.. you don’t have to go with a BCM lower there are other manufacturers, it’s all about money, your choice.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You're a wise man, BamBam. I'm on the waiting list.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
BamBam is preaching good juju. Hard part right now is just to find one. You can also go to BCM's website and put yourself on the mailing list for the lower you want when they get them back in stock. Same thing with the upper, if you decide to go that way. Whatever you decide, the key will be to jump when what you want becomes available.

I would also recommend getting the SBA brace with the lower. It will save you some money (and some aggravation). With the combo BamBam put up the link for, the SBA3 pencils out to about $80. They're running ~ $129 or so separately.

Best of luck in finding and getting what you want.

PS- Silencerco fan here, too.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Just an FYI---When you are buying a "pistol" lower, you aren't actually buying a pistol. It is an "other" on the 4473 and can be used to build anything. It just means that it comes with the shorter, pistol buffer tube.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
OP, to answer one of your earlier questions, the over-riding reason for an AR pistol is the portability. At least for me.

Case in point.

I also have a GG&G bag for it that looks very non-threatening.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,686
Posts18,399,755
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.