Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That be the plan. Right now I have an archery tag ,a statewide any deer muzzle loader tag, and East River 59A any whitetail tag. In 2 wks I'll put in for a left over West river rifle tag or 2.. need to put in now for antelope tags. From what I've seen so far with good light on the sights and cross sticks that gun should be fine to 200 yards anyway. I've used my50 3.25 " on 1 buff 2 mule deer and 2 antelope it does work. My 110 has only done a nice buck antelope and a buff but works as well. So yeah I'm looking forward to it. All I've ever shot out of the Shilohs for hunting has been paper patch ,my 110 has an original tight style chamber as well as my 40-90 2 5/8" SBN you can't even chamber a round loaded with greasers in those 2. Shooting black and ppb's on game, you get to travel back in time like no other thing can do. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
DDan, big thing on black powder capacity is in my mind, shooting deep seated greasers wastes powder space. I patch to bore dia on my loads. So a .026" hard card on top the black , 3/16" lube wad, another .026" card then seat the patched bullet maybe 1/8". Yeah the whole bullet is damn near in the rifling which of course is the finest inline seater there is. Last years 45 2.1" loads were with 81.5 grains of Swiss 1.5 Fg and I know of others who used even more. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, I thank you both on the compression info, and now I'm going to put on my stompin' boots. laugh

I do OK with BP, but still have a lot to learn. Except for my flinter....got that one wired.

I have a propensity to seat them long as well and I like paper patchin'. Actually....I love it. grin

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
OK so I have a number 1 in 45.70 that I love. Will probably leave that as is for a walking around rifle. But if a virgin was looking to pay homage to Lord Black, would you recommend a BPCR or Sharps for busting his cherry?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Crow, I don't know it matters much. Your #1 can do the job if you wish, or you can find something else to play with. Keep in mind that if you start loading heavy bullets with full charges you'll understand why "Thumper" is such a popular name for favorite guns. I found it helps keep arthritis at bay however. grin

Sometime back one of my buddies was shooting 500 gr paper patch from a Marlin Cowboy gun although with smokeless. Recoil was stout, precision was was stupid good. Lord knows that no man ever suffered from owning a Sharps.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dan "Lord knows that no man ever suffered from owning a Sharps" is definitely a good as sig line material I've ever seen. MB

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bob--A couple of questions about the Business Rifle, if you don't mind. Does it have the military buttplate? Also what is the length of pull?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Military rifle butt plate.lop is13 3/4" from the belly of the trigger to the belly of the butt. Single trigger from the factory, my gun collector bud had Dr Lawbowski on the phone, he found the serial and said it was shipped as a single trigger gun. According to Sellars single trigger on a B gun was a fairly rare item. Invoice to B Kittredge in late 1876. Cool gun ,the guy who I got it from bought it as part of an estate of a local gun guy who had told him and showed him the gun several years back that he bought it at a ranch estate here in the BH's.the ranch was established in the late 1870's so it has some neat local provenance. MB

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That'll work! Thanks for the reply. The other Business Rifles I have seen--three--all had the same buttplate and LOP, and all had DST. Today's Shilohs are too damned long, running 14 to 14 and a quarter inches. That is a great rifle you have there--congratulations.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I need to go measure the LOP on my old Buffalo Rifle too ; ] thought never occurred to me to check it.

Trump Won!
IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Back when these rifles were used i the fields men were a lot smaller by average then they are now making the pull shorter.
All my Shiloh's have a 14" pull.
My .45-2.6 Axtell rifle has a 13" pull.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Kurt71
Back when these rifles were used i the fields men were a lot smaller by average then they are now making the pull shorter.
All my Shiloh's have a 14" pull.
My .45-2.6 Axtell rifle has a 13" pull.

Yes, and another reason the crescent steel butts frog the heck out of our shoulders, they just don't fit. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Fit is 90% of everything with rifles and shotguns, and something 90% of shooters don't understand. Maybe more. It's not just LOP, it's the entire geometry of stock and gun.

Some time back in the early '60s dad purchased a used Ithaca 37 for mom, a 20 ga. It never shot well and eventually the gun passed on to me. Investigation(s) followed. Someone had clipped the barrel a bit trying to open the choke from FC to something, it failed profoundly. Off to Briley for choke tubes, problem solved. Then I got married and the new lady wanted a scattergun, so I clipped the stock about 1". Worked for her. Then she fired me and left the gun behind.

Went quail hunting one long weekend and took it along for the ride. Friend admired it from a distance and fondled it a bit, said the LOP was way too short. (12-3/4") I ran 42 birds straight w/o a miss...he said in awe, "How the phuoc you doing that?" My dad smiled. I missed the next shot just to make them feel better, then bagged the next five. End of weekend, buddy still befuddled. He was primarily a rifle shooter and stuck in the basics when transferring his experience to shotguns. IT'S NOT JUST LOP THAT MATTERS.

I will however acknowledge that Danny DeVito probably couldn't use my guns effectively due to LOP. Probably....

I am..........disturbed.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Stock geometry plays a huge factor in how a gun fits and feels. I love the looks of Berretta O/U but when I throw them to my shoulder I am looking at the rib angled up. Luckily I have found that Ruger Ref Labels fit me perfectly. Close my eyes and pull up the gun and when I open my eyes get a perfect sight picture. Winchester 71 and a Steyr Model M Professional are the same way. The Shiloh straight grip stocks do to

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
An internet friend of mine I helped with getting his 40-70 bn up and running recently got a chance at at another 74 clone. A pre farmingdale Sharps it's heavy gun with a heavy 32" barrel chambered for 50-140 and has a genuine crescent butt. I saw the pics of it. My shoulder immediately started to hurt but as Kurt says you just need to shoulder it correctly. He is a young guy and tough so I'll give him load work help but I'm sure the shooting end will be no picnic. MB

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
An internet friend of mine I helped with getting his 40-70 bn up and running recently got a chance at at another 74 clone. A pre farmingdale Sharps it's heavy gun with a heavy 32" barrel chambered for 50-140 and has a genuine crescent butt. I saw the pics of it. My shoulder immediately started to hurt but as Kurt says you just need to shoulder it correctly. He is a young guy and tough so I'll give him load work help but I'm sure the shooting end will be no picnic. MB

Just let me at it Bob. I will get that Girly gun up and running for you.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Kurt it is not in my possession the bud has it in Texas. I had helped him with his 40-70 2.1" bn , to get it working right. This gun is a pre Farmingdale Sharps by Wolf D. From the pics it looks pretty nice, all the know it alls on the shiloh forum told him it wasn't worth anything. I told him to jump on it and I would him get it running. He is gonna shoot some deer and HOGS with it. I think 50's would definetly do a number on hogs. MB

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dan, just made a movie with 50-90 and 700gr gov greaser drum executioner at 1427 fps, it knocked a three finger sized exit hole in the drum bottom, also went deep enough in the oak I couldn't see the bullet base, just a larger drill bit is what it is, Wife is sending it to your e-mail right now, hope it comes through ; ]

Entrance is dead center a bit below the filler cap, force knocked the plug out of another earlier patched hole. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
That be the plan. Right now I have an archery tag ,a statewide any deer muzzle loader tag, and East River 59A any whitetail tag. In 2 wks I'll put in for a left over West river rifle tag or 2.. need to put in now for antelope tags. From what I've seen so far with good light on the sights and cross sticks that gun should be fine to 200 yards anyway. I've used my50 3.25 " on 1 buff 2 mule deer and 2 antelope it does work. My 110 has only done a nice buck antelope and a buff but works as well. So yeah I'm looking forward to it. All I've ever shot out of the Shilohs for hunting has been paper patch ,my 110 has an original tight style chamber as well as my 40-90 2 5/8" SBN you can't even chamber a round loaded with greasers in those 2. Shooting black and ppb's on game, you get to travel back in time like no other thing can do. MB

Dang, I missed this post MB, You've got a hell of a fall planned, hope you tag out! smile

Trump Won!
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Bob,
That is an interesting rifle. I personally would like to know the correct history of the rifle. I wonder what the start serial number Wolfgang used for the first rifle and where it falls.

My .44-77 Farmer I think is from the 80's and it's a fine shooter, A while back I found a little history for the Shiloh but I really would like to see more.

https://hi-luxoptics.com/blogs/leatherwood-hi-lux/the-rebirth-of-old-reliable-the-sharps-rifle-part-2#:~:text=Sharps%20Arms%20was%20founded%20in%201975%20by%20John,in%20Farmingdale%2C%20New%20York%20to%20do%20their%20manufacturing.

Last edited by Kurt71; 07/19/20.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,990 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.