Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
dale06 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D

On moderate recoil rifles 243 and smaller, are there any big advantages or disadvantages between vertical and horizontal split scope rings?
Thanks

NRA Patron
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would use only horizontal rings.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a bunch of Warne vertical's, and never a problem.....

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The only vertical split rings I've used worked OK but if I had to remove the scope, the scope became loose in the rings.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve never had any trouble with any quality ring of either design. Buy a quality mount that you like, and be happy.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Six of a dozen and half of the other one.

1Minute
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
The only vertical split rings I've used worked OK but if I had to remove the scope, the scope became loose in the rings.

X2, not a problem if the scope never leaves the rifle. The vertical splits are more work to rezero when you have to remove the scope to do a proper cleaning like the A17 with low rings. Leveling the crosshairs can be more difficult in vertical rings. Vertical rings have less screws making less potential failure points. They are more streamlined for less hangup points.

Last edited by 24HourCampFireGuy50; 07/04/20.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Google it. In some cases the vert obscures the windage turret and in almost all cases the horizontal split obscures the elevation turrets if that is critical to you. Vertical seem to torque the scope less during the final tightening, but this could be my technique.

For some reason projection-less and then vertical split seem more aesthetically appealing to me, but that is a matter of taste and personal experience.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get ya some Conetrol

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Get ya some Conetrol

I'm not a fan of the little cap.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Get ya some Conetrol

I'm not a fan of the little cap.

Its a machining marvel...

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Control. I've used them on everything from Magnums to my Varmint rifles. Never an issue it's like the scope is welded to the rifle I don't switch scopes back and fourth all the time on my rifles like some dumb fuqks. Scope's a sight not a toy. Mounting a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 X 50 on my new Sako 85 Varmint Laminate Stainless 243. I have the Control Fluted Dual Tapered Dovetail Bases Fitted and driven on. Now getting ready to install the scope with rings. When I'm finished, this rig is going to be slicker than a 20 dollar whore...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I have a bunch of Warne vertical's, and never a problem.....

90% of my rings are these.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
horizontal are easier to work with for me.

Ed

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Warne Vertical's used to be my go-to but I am moving towards Ken Farrell Weaver/Picatinny bases on my go-to rifles.

I replaced the Warne's with Ken Farrell's horizontal rings and in my estimation after trying every brand out there, these are the king of bulletproof and excellent zero-hold when removing the scope and putting it back on. They also make the lowest rings in the market.

https://www.kenfarrell.com

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I use Leupold standards on almost all of my 700s.

I also bought a roll of very thin lead tape from McMaster-Carr years ago. With an exacto knife I cut a tiny little sliver of lead tape and mount it in my rings. Actually I use two slivers front and back top and bottom of each ring.

An older gunsmith friend of mine told me about lead string years ago and this is the best I have been able to find or use.

In my opinion it really helps.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like the horizontal split type if for no other reason than if the scope has to come off it can go back on usually with little or no change in zero. Verticle splits pretty much require a full re-zero. Conetrols I believe the same.
Ocassions to remove scopes are when you need to confirm a scope or a rifle as having any issues. A known good component lets you verify the other half.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The horizontal rings with the large windage screws at the rear base are a failure waiting to happen. These large windage screws a prone to cracking if over tighten just slightly and many times you wont even know their damaged cause the heads are stuck or kept in place by the recess in the rear base. When you groups open up or you loose your zero then you might figure it out. No I like the Conetrol's their rock solid. if I had to pick something else it would be the Talley rings and bases. On AR's or any other rifles with a Picatinny rail there are a lot of good options as far as horizontal split rings. No weak link as in windage screws.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Vertical split rings can work well, and I have a couple of sets in use, but I generally prefer horizontal split rings. They are easier to mount and remount scopes on and it's easier to retain your zero after removing and remounting a scope.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The horizontal rings with the large windage screws at the rear base are a failure waiting to happen. These large windage screws a prone to cracking if over tighten just slightly and many times you wont even know their damaged cause the heads are stuck or kept in place by the recess in the rear base. When you groups open up or you loose your zero then you might figure it out. No I like the Conetrol's their rock solid. if I had to pick something else it would be the Talley rings and bases. On AR's or any other rifles with a Picatinny rail there are a lot of good options as far as horizontal split rings. No weak link as in windage screws.

I am in complete agreement and got tired of messing with them last year. I can't believe I kept messing with them for all those years. Replacing them with Weaver style bases and horizontal split rings from KF.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
372 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 38 invisible), 2,052 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.