24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like Talley bases and split rings, but use Burris Signature Zee rings on 99’s. Either work well.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Once I start swapping scopes on my TC Icons I begin to appreciate the horizontal splits more......transitioned from talleys to warne maxima for that reason.

Talley verticals are good rings but I have to mess with stuff.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I used multiples of horizontal and vertical split rings. Never had a problem out of any of them as long as I didn't use a cheater bar to tighten them up.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I use both and don't think there is much functional difference. I find the horizontals a bit easier to mount scopes on but the difference is not large.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Never found the allure of vertical rings. I've only tried one set of Warnes - I'm one-n-done with the "concept".

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by dale06

On moderate recoil rifles 243 and smaller, are there any big advantages or disadvantages between vertical and horizontal split scope rings?
Thanks

The only vertically split ring I would use are the ARC rings, and they are not a true vertically split ring, more of a hybrid. They are absolutely outstanding and I prefer them over all other rings I’ve tried.

John

https://www.americanrifle.com/shop/product/m10-scope-rings-7

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I used multiples of horizontal and vertical split rings. Never had a problem out of any of them as long as I didn't use a cheater bar to tighten them up.

Same here.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Hondo64d

The only vertically split ring I would use are the ARC rings, and they are not a true vertically split ring, more of a hybrid. They are absolutely outstanding and I prefer them over all other rings I’ve tried.

$179 !!!! YGTBFKM !!!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Vertical split rings suck plain a and simple

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

$179 !!!! YGTBFKM !!!

Yep. And they are a bargain at that.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

$179 !!!! YGTBFKM !!!

Hey! If you want to dance, you must pay the piper.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

John

What makes the ARC rings so good? To me, those two hinges just look like extra complication?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I have a bunch of Warne vertical's, and never a problem.....

YUP...No twisting of scope during installation

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Vertical split ring (2) screws tighten on the tube and the Weaver base at the same time.... not a good design.

On top the bad concept, they are usually made so the screws bind on the side of their clearance holes... more bad design.

Me trying to use v split rings reminds me of Donald Duck changing a flat tire.

https://video.disney.com/watch/donald-s-tire-trouble-4bb39f2cdff29a8833003b15

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Me trying to use v split rings reminds me of Donald Duck changing a flat tire.

https://video.disney.com/watch/donald-s-tire-trouble-4bb39f2cdff29a8833003b15[/quote]

Whenever I'm doing finesse work like scoping a rifle I like to set the mood by playing similar cartoon soundtracks.....for 2 reasons, first it's pretty dam appropriate and second, playing it really loud masks my profanity laced outbursts.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like Talleys and Warne Maxima vertical split rings on my higher-end rifles. I'm not a turret spinner and don't change scopes, and I like the looks on a fine rifle.

PS: I have 2 sets of gloss Conetrol 1" rings in my shop, if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Biebs; 07/28/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fotis
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I have a bunch of Warne vertical's, and never a problem.....

YUP...No twisting of scope during installation

Agreed. That's the biggest pain about using horizontal. I've had a bunch of God damnit moments. Square your reticle, start tightening, and look again and the reticle is canted.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Vertical split ring (2) screws tighten on the tube and the Weaver base at the same time.... not a good design.

Agreed. I don't like that design either. I like Warnes and Talley QDs that mount around the tube first, then mount to the rail.

Warne top, Talley bottom. Both QD, but the Talley is using the screw lock option instead of the lever.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

---

As far verticals obstructing the turret, I don't see it. They aren't that tall. They aren't really any taller than the ocular bell or power ring.

I also prefer Warnes to Talleys if my rifle has open sights I might want to use. Their bases are lower.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 07/28/21.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by shinbone

John

What makes the ARC rings so good? To me, those two hinges just look like extra complication?

They align well, making for no stress on the scope tube.
They have plenty of surface area for a secure hold.
The reticle does not change angle as you tighten the top bolt. This is huge to me. Saves me from much frustration.
They are precise and repeatable. I have removed and reinstalled my scope on its base with virtually no change in POI.
They don’t appear to have any of the negatives of the vertically split rings that are split all the way through, which makes them the only vertically split ring I will use for now.

All that said, there are much less expensive rings that work very well, but the ARCs are my current favorite.

John

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
258 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,170 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.