Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
dale06 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D

On moderate recoil rifles 243 and smaller, are there any big advantages or disadvantages between vertical and horizontal split scope rings?
Thanks

NRA Patron
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would use only horizontal rings.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a bunch of Warne vertical's, and never a problem.....

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The only vertical split rings I've used worked OK but if I had to remove the scope, the scope became loose in the rings.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve never had any trouble with any quality ring of either design. Buy a quality mount that you like, and be happy.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Six of a dozen and half of the other one.

1Minute
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
The only vertical split rings I've used worked OK but if I had to remove the scope, the scope became loose in the rings.

X2, not a problem if the scope never leaves the rifle. The vertical splits are more work to rezero when you have to remove the scope to do a proper cleaning like the A17 with low rings. Leveling the crosshairs can be more difficult in vertical rings. Vertical rings have less screws making less potential failure points. They are more streamlined for less hangup points.

Last edited by 24HourCampFireGuy50; 07/04/20.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Google it. In some cases the vert obscures the windage turret and in almost all cases the horizontal split obscures the elevation turrets if that is critical to you. Vertical seem to torque the scope less during the final tightening, but this could be my technique.

For some reason projection-less and then vertical split seem more aesthetically appealing to me, but that is a matter of taste and personal experience.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get ya some Conetrol

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Get ya some Conetrol

I'm not a fan of the little cap.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Get ya some Conetrol

I'm not a fan of the little cap.

Its a machining marvel...

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Control. I've used them on everything from Magnums to my Varmint rifles. Never an issue it's like the scope is welded to the rifle I don't switch scopes back and fourth all the time on my rifles like some dumb fuqks. Scope's a sight not a toy. Mounting a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 X 50 on my new Sako 85 Varmint Laminate Stainless 243. I have the Control Fluted Dual Tapered Dovetail Bases Fitted and driven on. Now getting ready to install the scope with rings. When I'm finished, this rig is going to be slicker than a 20 dollar whore...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22

90% of my rings are these.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
horizontal are easier to work with for me.

Ed

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Warne Vertical's used to be my go-to but I am moving towards Ken Farrell Weaver/Picatinny bases on my go-to rifles.

I replaced the Warne's with Ken Farrell's horizontal rings and in my estimation after trying every brand out there, these are the king of bulletproof and excellent zero-hold when removing the scope and putting it back on. They also make the lowest rings in the market.

https://www.kenfarrell.com

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I use Leupold standards on almost all of my 700s.

I also bought a roll of very thin lead tape from McMaster-Carr years ago. With an exacto knife I cut a tiny little sliver of lead tape and mount it in my rings. Actually I use two slivers front and back top and bottom of each ring.

An older gunsmith friend of mine told me about lead string years ago and this is the best I have been able to find or use.

In my opinion it really helps.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like the horizontal split type if for no other reason than if the scope has to come off it can go back on usually with little or no change in zero. Verticle splits pretty much require a full re-zero. Conetrols I believe the same.
Ocassions to remove scopes are when you need to confirm a scope or a rifle as having any issues. A known good component lets you verify the other half.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The horizontal rings with the large windage screws at the rear base are a failure waiting to happen. These large windage screws a prone to cracking if over tighten just slightly and many times you wont even know their damaged cause the heads are stuck or kept in place by the recess in the rear base. When you groups open up or you loose your zero then you might figure it out. No I like the Conetrol's their rock solid. if I had to pick something else it would be the Talley rings and bases. On AR's or any other rifles with a Picatinny rail there are a lot of good options as far as horizontal split rings. No weak link as in windage screws.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Vertical split rings can work well, and I have a couple of sets in use, but I generally prefer horizontal split rings. They are easier to mount and remount scopes on and it's easier to retain your zero after removing and remounting a scope.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The horizontal rings with the large windage screws at the rear base are a failure waiting to happen. These large windage screws a prone to cracking if over tighten just slightly and many times you wont even know their damaged cause the heads are stuck or kept in place by the recess in the rear base. When you groups open up or you loose your zero then you might figure it out. No I like the Conetrol's their rock solid. if I had to pick something else it would be the Talley rings and bases. On AR's or any other rifles with a Picatinny rail there are a lot of good options as far as horizontal split rings. No weak link as in windage screws.

I am in complete agreement and got tired of messing with them last year. I can't believe I kept messing with them for all those years. Replacing them with Weaver style bases and horizontal split rings from KF.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Horizontal split for me. I prefer the Talley lightweight two piece.

Sean
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

I am in complete agreement and got tired of messing with them last year. I can't believe I kept messing with them for all those years. Replacing them with Weaver style bases and horizontal split rings from KF.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Vertically split rings can cause problems with scope that need to be dialed a lot. Most of these compress the rube asymmetrically, so with many scope models they can cause problems.

In set and forget applications that is less of an issue.

ILya

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I use only Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts. Either double dovetail or Weaver style Signature Zee Rings. I do have some other rings on rifles whose scopes have not been moved in years. If a scope is removed for any reason, Burris rings are installed. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by koshkin
Vertically split rings can cause problems with scope that need to be dialed a lot. Most of these compress the rube asymmetrically, so with many scope models they can cause problems.

ILya

+1 and the top of the ring is a rain collector. I will never use Talley Vertical rings again either fixed or removable.l

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dale06

On moderate recoil rifles 243 and smaller, are there any big advantages or disadvantages between vertical and horizontal split scope rings?
Thanks

Verticals look nicer (to some). Horizontals tend to be easier to use (for some).

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Which is better for set it and forget it? I see a lot of responses about “remounting” scopes… once it’s on my gun. It ain’t coming off

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Horizontal. No contest..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

ILya

Formi has mentioned this as well. And I believe that Vortex doesn't recommend them for their scopes.

I have used Warne vertical split rings a bunch and never had any issues with SWFA scopes. No issues with zero retention or tracking.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 4th_point

ILya

Formi has mentioned this as well. And I believe that Vortex doesn't recommend them for their scopes.

I saw this addressed in a lengthy thread on another forum a few years back. I just go with horizontals to minimize any potential issues, regardless of those who say verticals work for them. The geometry of some of them always seemed a bit strange to me anyway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Vertical split rings?
REALLY??
That is what causes riots in prison.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Horizontals are definately easier to install but I have a couple of Warne rings on Brno 600s and they work fine. I tend to leave scopes alone when they are mounted.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes you have to go with what’s available. I used a set of vertical Warnes to mount a 56mm on a Hawkeye yesterday. PITA dealing with all the loose stuff, but very solid once you get them on. Nicely finished too, with no sharp edges. I wanted the detachables, but they’re nowhere to be found now, just like a lot of stuff.

I’m moving away from the Zee rings as they’re a dog to remove and re-install, plus heavier than necessary. Going to use the Weaver Sure Grips on the Marlin 39A headed here for the vintage look and light weight, but no hook to deal with. They’re actually pretty nice, cheap, and made here if you can believe it!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use both. Neither are probably really better than the other. But I prefer vertically split because they are less obtrusive. And I've never lapped vertically split rings and never felt I had to. I've never had a scope slip in vertically split rings but I have in horizontally split rings. For instance, a failure to lap Ruger rings supplied with a Ruger gun is an accident waiting to happen. Great guns, horrible rings.

As far as being a rain collector: non-issue. Water can get get under both.

As far as the scope coming loose when you detach: that's an issue with Talley fixed permanent attach rings because they are literally two halves held together by two screws. (But they are marketed as "fixed" rings, so detaching them will require reinstallation.) But its a non-issue with Warnes, and a non-issue with Talley QD and QD screw lock because they are two-halves that attach around the scope first, and which has a third piece that clamps to the base. I've found Warne QDs and Talley QDs to return to zero very well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a pencil to mark the tube at the splits (when I remember) to make re-mounting easier.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have both. Never any issues with either but I prefer the look of the horizontal.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I try to only use horizontal split rings.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I prefer horizontal. I have experienced more issues trying to keep the reticle level while tightening vertical split rings, same with the original Weavers w/AL bottom, steel-strap hook/screw tops. Hard to keep those old school Weavers level while final tightening too.

Last edited by horse1; 07/27/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I like and use both. My favorite are the Talley QDs, mounted without the levers. They return to zero reliably, and on more remote hunts I take an extra scope in rings already zero’ed as backup.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I use both. Neither are probably really better than the other. But I prefer vertically split because they are less obtrusive. And I've never lapped vertically split rings and never felt I had to. I've never had a scope slip in vertically split rings but I have in horizontally split rings. For instance, a failure to lap Ruger rings supplied with a Ruger gun is an accident waiting to happen. Great guns, horrible rings.

As far as being a rain collector: non-issue. Water can get get under both.

As far as the scope coming loose when you detach: that's an issue with Talley fixed permanent attach rings because they are literally two halves held together by two screws. (But they are marketed as "fixed" rings, so detaching them will require reinstallation.) But its a non-issue with Warnes, and a non-issue with Talley QD and QD screw lock because they are two-halves that attach around the scope first, and which has a third piece that clamps to the base. I've found Warne QDs and Talley QDs to return to zero very well.

This is my experience as well. I’ve used the old Buehler vertical split rings for years and never an issue with slipping or tube marks. They take a bit more care to set up, but I prefer the cleaner look of vertical rings.
JMHO

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like Talley bases and split rings, but use Burris Signature Zee rings on 99’s. Either work well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Once I start swapping scopes on my TC Icons I begin to appreciate the horizontal splits more......transitioned from talleys to warne maxima for that reason.

Talley verticals are good rings but I have to mess with stuff.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I used multiples of horizontal and vertical split rings. Never had a problem out of any of them as long as I didn't use a cheater bar to tighten them up.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use both and don't think there is much functional difference. I find the horizontals a bit easier to mount scopes on but the difference is not large.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Never found the allure of vertical rings. I've only tried one set of Warnes - I'm one-n-done with the "concept".

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by dale06

Thanks

The only vertically split ring I would use are the ARC rings, and they are not a true vertically split ring, more of a hybrid. They are absolutely outstanding and I prefer them over all other rings I’ve tried.

John

https://www.americanrifle.com/shop/product/m10-scope-rings-7

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I used multiples of horizontal and vertical split rings. Never had a problem out of any of them as long as I didn't use a cheater bar to tighten them up.

Same here.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Hondo64d

The only vertically split ring I would use are the ARC rings, and they are not a true vertically split ring, more of a hybrid. They are absolutely outstanding and I prefer them over all other rings I’ve tried.

$179 !!!! YGTBFKM !!!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Vertical split rings suck plain a and simple

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

$179 !!!! YGTBFKM !!!

Yep. And they are a bargain at that.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

$179 !!!! YGTBFKM !!!

Hey! If you want to dance, you must pay the piper.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

John

What makes the ARC rings so good? To me, those two hinges just look like extra complication?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

YUP...No twisting of scope during installation

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Vertical split ring (2) screws tighten on the tube and the Weaver base at the same time.... not a good design.

On top the bad concept, they are usually made so the screws bind on the side of their clearance holes... more bad design.

Me trying to use v split rings reminds me of Donald Duck changing a flat tire.

https://video.disney.com/watch/donald-s-tire-trouble-4bb39f2cdff29a8833003b15

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Me trying to use v split rings reminds me of Donald Duck changing a flat tire.

https://video.disney.com/watch/donald-s-tire-trouble-4bb39f2cdff29a8833003b15[/quote]

Whenever I'm doing finesse work like scoping a rifle I like to set the mood by playing similar cartoon soundtracks.....for 2 reasons, first it's pretty dam appropriate and second, playing it really loud masks my profanity laced outbursts.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like Talleys and Warne Maxima vertical split rings on my higher-end rifles. I'm not a turret spinner and don't change scopes, and I like the looks on a fine rifle.

PS: I have 2 sets of gloss Conetrol 1" rings in my shop, if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Biebs; 07/28/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fotis

YUP...No twisting of scope during installation

Agreed. That's the biggest pain about using horizontal. I've had a bunch of God damnit moments. Square your reticle, start tightening, and look again and the reticle is canted.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Vertical split ring (2) screws tighten on the tube and the Weaver base at the same time.... not a good design.

Agreed. I don't like that design either. I like Warnes and Talley QDs that mount around the tube first, then mount to the rail.

Warne top, Talley bottom. Both QD, but the Talley is using the screw lock option instead of the lever.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

---

As far verticals obstructing the turret, I don't see it. They aren't that tall. They aren't really any taller than the ocular bell or power ring.

I also prefer Warnes to Talleys if my rifle has open sights I might want to use. Their bases are lower.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 07/28/21.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by shinbone

John

What makes the ARC rings so good? To me, those two hinges just look like extra complication?

They align well, making for no stress on the scope tube.
They have plenty of surface area for a secure hold.
The reticle does not change angle as you tighten the top bolt. This is huge to me. Saves me from much frustration.
They are precise and repeatable. I have removed and reinstalled my scope on its base with virtually no change in POI.
They don’t appear to have any of the negatives of the vertically split rings that are split all the way through, which makes them the only vertically split ring I will use for now.

All that said, there are much less expensive rings that work very well, but the ARCs are my current favorite.

John

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
87 members (10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, 257robertsimp, akshooting, 15 invisible), 1,643 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.