Print Thread
Hop To
I
IMR4350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
It's on channel 501. That lieutenant Richard Best was an amazing pilot. He sunk two jap carriers not to mention all the other shooting and bombing stuff he did. Amazing how him and those other guys made it through some really tight spots.

These are the types of people our young ones should be taught to look up to. They were real heros. Not those phoney baloney pro athletes and those blm ass-holes.

BTW happy 4th of July everybody.

Last edited by IMR4350; 07/04/20.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm watching it too.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I read a paperback, “The Big E” when I was probably 16-17. It puts in perspective a lot of things that were going on at the time with names, places , etc. The major battles in the Pacific are covered in pretty good detail. It’s probably one of the reasons I ended up with the career that I did (and I’m still involved in it).

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'll be looking for it. Thanks. GBA

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm watching it. I noticed when it showed the U.S. attacked the Marshall Islands they were attacking a volcanic island. Aren't the Marshalls all low corral atolls?

Dale

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by DHN
I'm watching it. I noticed when it showed the U.S. attacked the Marshall Islands they were attacking a volcanic island. Aren't the Marshalls all low corral atolls?

I don't know if I can watch it now. Thanks!

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I didn't mean to ruin the whole movie for you, Boomer. sick

Dale

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by DHN
I didn't mean to ruin the whole movie for you, Boomer. sick

JK

Looks like I can watch it today. I'll try to ignore the geology. grin

--- Kid Rock 2022

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
After the war when I was about six y/o, I got to go aboard the Enterprise. I clearly remember the wing with a big red meatball, attached to a bulkhead. What stories that ship could tell.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by DHN

Yes. They’re coral atolls. My father was there as a young officer on LST 29. I remember him saying that during the pre-landing bombardment you could see the red hot projectiles arcing toward their targets on the islands.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Amazon, free HBO trial,. It's on now.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The narrative around the battle Midway is much more interesting than any movie can describe . There are a couple of YouTube videos that help, I think the WW2 museum puts out one. First off there was supposed to be 6 Japanese carriers ,but two got knocked out in the Battle of the Coral Sea. One got badly damaged and the other had their air crews decimated, like a battleship without guns, what good is a carrier with out pilots. 6 against 3 might have been different. Second, the Japanese time line is not what is normally given. Carrie operations during WW2 such as bringing up planes, fueling, retrievingg, and flying off took more time than the movies suggests. One good pilot and one bomb took one carrier.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
To say the movie Midway (2019) sucked, is being generous.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Why didn't you like it? I thought the 2019 one was better than the earlier one with Charlton Heston. The only criticism I could make about the 2019 one was it went a little heavy on the CGI.

But personally i thought "30 Seconds Over Tokyo," made in 1944, was better than either.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Why didn't you like it? I thought the 2019 one was better than the earlier one with Charlton Heston. The only criticism I could make about the 2019 one was it went a little heavy on the CGI.

But personally i thought "30 Seconds Over Tokyo," made in 1944, was better than either.

Way too much CGI, way too many stories to get into 2 hours. It felt too much like a Cliff's notes version, geared for people with the attention span of an apricot.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by IMR4350
It's on channel 501. That lieutenant Richard Best was an amazing pilot. He sunk two jap carriers not to mention all the other shooting and bombing stuff he did. Amazing how him and those other guys made it through some really tight spots.

These are the types of people our young ones should be taught to look up to. They were real heros. Not those phoney baloney pro athletes and those blm ass-holes.

BTW happy 4th of July everybody.

Plenty good enough and patriotic movie. Thanks for mentioning it.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I enjoyed the movie last night but thought they rushed through events pretty quick to get it crammed into the time. I would have liked it to have been a mini series like Band of Brothers. But I understand it was produced for theaters. It was an action packed few hours .

Life can be rough on us dreamers.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

634 members (10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,010 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,245
Posts18,448,023
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.