Print Thread
Hop To
S
sloone Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
opinions on running a 8 twist for 100 to 120 grainers in 257 bee.might stretch it to the 131 blackjacks.primarily the latter.i am looking for some of your opinions.for my use i was thinking no need to spin faster.thanks in advance.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know Barnes suggests a 9 twist for their 115 gr bullets but they are long. When I rebarreled with a Bartlein I got a 9 but have not shot anything but the 100 gr ttsx Barnes so far.

I think a 9 twist will cover all your bases. Berger has a twist calculator if I remember right.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A 10-twist in 257 Weatherby will stabilize all available “factory” bullets of 100-120 grains. Bullet makers essentially make short stubby bullets in 25 cal to work with the 10-twist limitation. There are some good bullets in 25 cal but none with great BC.

The 131 Blackjack is another matter. Not commercially available in ammunition and you have to have a special twist barrel. It looks like they recommend a 7.25-twist for the Blackjacks. And I don’t know if it’s a good hunting bullet or no.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just went through this. If the Hammer, Blackjack or any other custom longer heavier bullet are a possibility then a twist as fast as 1-7 is not out of order. My 1-9 twist 25-06 will stabilize the 103 Hammer bullets but my 1-10 Weatherby is marginal in spite of the extra velocity. Go up to the 120+ gr. Hammers and you need a 1-7 twist. This fast twist will only be a liability with the lightest and thinnest jacketed varmint bullets which may not make it to the target.

Even if you only want to shoot the conventional bullet weights a 1-9 will handle the 115s and heavier better than a 1-10 will in any 25 caliber.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have built a number of 250 Sav, 257 Roberts, 25-06 with 10" twist barrels and no problems with 100 gr or 115 gr Nos Bal Tip. I have shot deer out to 500 yards with the 115 gr.

My problems are with old 25-20 Winchester 92s.
With Sierra 1600 75 gr .257" hollow point bullets. I can stabilize a .751" long bullet with the 14" twist at 1900 fps..... barely. I had to hunt around for a bullet that short.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

S
sloone Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
thans guys..what i figured.now i have to wait for a 9 twist as none of the barrel makers i prefer have then in stock.unless tejano and others have a opinion on the 8 twist and equal accuracy with the 8..just curious.this is .100 freebore 257..would like to start now on project and the 8 is available.but not at sacrifice with accuracy..

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not in 25 cal but in 6mm yes 8 twist or faster. Go to the Black Jack website or Face Book page and they have experimented a fair amount with the Weatherby and are recommending a 1-7.5" twist. Hammer recommends even faster. The 1-8 will probably shoot the Blackjacks but not at the optimal BC. You can run the numbers on the Berger twist calculator here: https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

For more conventional bullets the 1-8 or 1-9 will be fine, I would go 1-8 or faster. My current Weatherby is stock and I am fine with 85-120 grain bullets in it. But it means my 6mm will catch up to it and then exceed it at around 5-600 yds. The 8 twist should be highly accurate and if any issue it would just be with the most frangible varmint bullets and probably not even those.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
sloone Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
tejano.thanks.so if shooting 100 to 115 barnes or 110 to 120 noslers and other hornady weights in this class and requiring best accuracy then maybe shooting some hammers of different weights you would do what twist as there has to be trade offs.your or any others opinion.ps i spoke with the hammer people and they like a 7 twist from there i believe 103 grain and up to around 120 grainers.blackjack also likes 8 and faster..thanks again as i have the info but believe i have been overthinking this way to much.anyway i think 8 might be the right compromise..sorry for nitpicking and bothering others.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Can't go wrong with the 8 twist. Hammer is conservative as is the Berger twist calculator. If I shoot out either of my current 25s the 06 will get a 7 twist and the Weatherby a 7 or 7.25 depending on if even heavier and pointier bullets are available then. But I don't worry too much about the 1-10 twist of my Weatherby I always thought it was for speed and I shoot mostly 100-117 gr. bullets. The 6.5s & 7mm can handle the VLD bullet uses.

I am sure there is a point where too much twist could hurt accuracy but I don't know how fast that would be. I have seen 6 twisted .224s that were accurate out to a 1,000 and could still shoot most light bullets, just not the super thin jacketed ones.

S
sloone Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
thans again tejano..so nice to be able to share opinions with so many good people in my opinion.helps to take my mind off the insanity of the far left trash lunacy in this insane political climate we are living.i own a large tract of land in missouri after leaving the east coast 3 years ago.many close friends i left behind but know for sure now i made the right decision.maybe someday many of you could come and camp or bring trailer homes or campers and we could shoot at my range and cook out and sit and enjoy many different beverages.life is short.i like making new friends and enjoying time shared enjoying common interests..

IC B3

S
sloone Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
thans again tejano..so nice to be able to share opinions with so many good people in my opinion.helps to take my mind off the insanity of the far left trash lunacy in this insane political climate we are living.i own a large tract of land in missouri after leaving the east coast 3 years ago.many close friends i left behind but know for sure now i made the right decision.maybe someday many of you could come and camp or bring trailer homes or campers and we could shoot at my range and cook out and sit and enjoy many different beverages.life is short.i like making new friends and enjoying time shared enjoying common interests..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW I have several 257Rs. All have factory 10" twists, all handle 120gr Hornady, Sierra, Speer and Nosler bullets very well. No experience with the heavier VLD bullets.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Would like to hang out at a real campfire with friends, but don't know when that will be. This shut in stuff brings out the rifle looney in me. Just finished 2 rifle builds got another new one and am refinishing the stocks on 5 others and I am still looking at used gun adds. I got it bad I'm afraid.

S
sloone Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
tejano being a rifle looney is a affliction many of us have.by the way im having the 8 twist 257 shipped to me.its a benchmark 3 contour.with some fluting it should be just a few ounces over 3 pounds.like you trying to keep busy with a few hobbies.this covid has kept me from enjoying some things.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Same here, building a box of parts into a Marlin 336, got a Remington short action waiting on me to finally decide on what round I want my Criterion Remage barrel chambered for, have all but 12 pieces of brass loaded for all my rifles and that is saying something. Have been doing a heck of a lot of shooting on my backyard range. I sure would like to have a beer with some friends like we were doing at the bar. Only went three times last time they opened up. This mask BS really is getting on my nerves too. Think I will get up early and put a hundred miles on my Harley tomorrow.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

My model 70 pre-64 in 257 Roberts shoots 120gr bullets ok but it really likes 115gr Nosler Partitions. So I buy lots of those Nosler

Seconds. I load RL23 and Norma MRP.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i just had a 257 Roberts barrelled on a Remington 30 Express with a 7 1/2 twist Brux barrel this rifle shoots 115 Bergers,Nosler B.T. OR Partitions 1 /2 inch groups at 100 yards but my groups with the 131 gr. Black Jack bullets are not consistent at all. i have been shooting 1-10 twist 257 Weatherby mags for 15- 20 years now and my rifles are yes all customs they shoot great with 100 gr.Nosler partitions or Swift A-Frames and kill deer just fine and these 2 brand bullets don`t blow up at 3800 fps.

Last edited by pete53; 07/13/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
112 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,378 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,856
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.