Print Thread
Hop To
#15022260 07/04/20
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I need some advice about the Purchase of an hand help portable GPS.
I need it for locating my property line so that I can build a fence.
I have easements around my property that I have to abide by.
I have been looking at Garmin and 1 was suggested for me to purchase but $400 was out of my range for what I need it for.
Any advise would be appreciated.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Check out phone apps... some of them are amazing... so I heard from a friend. Small monthly fee, but super accurate. Don't know which one he used.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've owned a Garmin Oregon for several years. On sale at Cabals it was about $200 at the time.

It does what I need.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
If you need accuracy that won't be disputed, you should get a surveyor to locate your property lines. A GPS will get you close, but probably not close enough to justify building a fence.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
+/- 10 feet is not close enough for a fence line.
That's what the legal limits are for civilian units - military, and surveyors have access to much more accurate equipment.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
GPS-- ON-X your not going to get that accurate of a line for leagle property line. Your title, and or tax sheet will give a more accurate spot. Had to have a surveyor come in and give you a good line. There should be pins on the corners you could draw a line thru.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by wyowinchester
GPS-- ON-X your not going to get that accurate of a line for leagle property line. Your title, and or tax sheet will give a more accurate spot. Had to have a surveyor come in and give you a good line. There should be pins on the corners you could draw a line thru.

The pins have been ripped out by a Grader that did not care about where they were grading the road
I do not have internet on my phone Verizon Rapes me for the service and I do not have any phone service where my property is in Arizona
'

i

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Listen to these guys - a consumer/recreational GPS will not be accurate enough. If you can locate the corner markers you can run a line the old fashioned way. If you can't locate corners you need to hire a surveyor.

Just went thru similar deal this spring. Bought new house, had some encroachment issues on two sides, could not find corners and didn't get a plat, just a description of boundaries in deed. So before I approached neighbors I had it surveyed, original corner pins found, verified and flagged, then I ran flagged lines myself between the corners. Also had the new survey recorded with county. Then shared results with the neighbors.

A licensed surveyor will research property records for your land and bordering properties to make sure there is no discrepancies between deed descriptions, or identify them so they can be resolved.

After the survey was finished I did go back and record the corners with my GPS for future reference, but the GPS coordinates will still be +/- 10 ft or more.

Also, local rules may require your fence to be offset a minumum distance from your property line.

Last edited by MikeL2; 07/04/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get a survey. Money well spent.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless one goes high end and acquires a survey grade unit and its accompanying software, DO NOT build a boundary fence based on a GPS unit. I find them accurate to within maybe 3 to 5 yds. Good enough to maybe find a soap box, but not quite up to snuff when trying to relocate a dime.

One might rough in the coordinates after a survey making stakes easier to find but not good enough for absolutely defining a line or running a ditch.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/05/20.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup, for that need GPS stands for; Get a Professional Surveyor.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'd be knocking on the door of the "Road grader". They are responsible for having a survey done, to replace your pins.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by funshooter
Originally Posted by wyowinchester

The pins have been ripped out by a Grader that did not care about where they were grading the road
I do not have internet on my phone Verizon Rapes me for the service and I do not have any phone service where my property is in Arizona
'

i

You don't need phone service to run your GPS functionality on your phone and maps can be downloaded prior to leaving service areas.

However, I agree with others that recommend a professional survey.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Lots of good advice concerning a legit binding survey.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Spend a little money now with a surveyor or a whole lot more when the lawsuits start.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Listen to these guys - a consumer/recreational GPS will not be accurate enough. If you can locate the corner markers you can run a line the old fashioned way. If you can't locate corners you need to hire a surveyor.

Just went thru similar deal this spring. Bought new house, had some encroachment issues on two sides, could not find corners and didn't get a plat, just a description of boundaries in deed. So before I approached neighbors I had it surveyed, original corner pins found, verified and flagged, then I ran flagged lines myself between the corners. Also had the new survey recorded with county. Then shared results with the neighbors.

A licensed surveyor will research property records for your land and bordering properties to make sure there is no discrepancies between deed descriptions, or identify them so they can be resolved.

After the survey was finished I did go back and record the corners with my GPS for future reference, but the GPS coordinates will still be +/- 10 ft or more.

Also, local rules may require your fence to be offset a minumum distance from your property line.

Thank You every one for your advice.
I do know where the corner Markers are the Grader did not take them out just the radius markers. He buried one of the corner makers 2ft under but I found it and put a Tee Post next to it. Since I unburied it and exposed it . It has been Buried again by Road Grading again but the Tee Post is still up
I only have 1 truly straight property line and my neighbor has already done the work with a surveyor for me and I just need to measure off of his survey pins. That line is approximately 1100 ft long.
I have 30ft and 40ft no fence easements around my hilly 36 acre property.
I have a hard enough time trying to afford to get out to my property and I do not have the Funds to hire a proper Surveyor.
My thought was to just move my fence back enough using the Hand Held GPS as to be positive that I was out of the Easement areas. There are already property owner in my area that have ignored the Easements and built fences right on their lines with no concern to Road way access. I do not want to be one of them just to have it come back to Bite me latter.

Thanks again for the advice

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
What type of fence? Some fencing is of course cheaper, and easier to move if needed.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If the road grader is burying your marker and it's not in the road right of way that needs to stop. Many states have laws protecting survey markers. Who owns the road, is it public or private? If they are grading outside of a legal right of way they are tresspassing/encroaching on your property and probably owe you for damages.

If your marker is getting buried because it is in the road right of way that's a different issue that needs correction. It will take a survey, relocation of markers, and updating property records.

Last edited by MikeL2; 07/05/20.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Back Country Navigator will work on a smart phone without internet service as long as it can see the sky. I think it was a 9.99 one time fee for the app. Check it out.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I had pins on 2 corners of my place. First thing I did when I moved in was put up a perimeter fence. I used a compass to shoot my lines and fenced it. Surveyor wanted thousands of $$$, was ridiculous. All i wanted them to do was give me the other 2 points so I could run a straight line betwixt.

Edit to add, my place is rectangular with 90 degree corners and the long sides run straight N to S. Way easier than a funky shape. I have OnX on a Garmin for hunting purposes and it's damned handy, but not accurate enough for survey work IMHO.

Last edited by BillyGoatGruff; 07/05/20.

MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 54 invisible), 2,804 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,523
Posts18,452,769
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.