Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
117LBS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello All, I have a remington 722 that the extractor wore out on awhile back and rather than try and find a new one I had a local smith install a Sako style extractor. Lately I have been experiencing weak ejection with this rifle and I am wondering if it is the extractor sitting too high or a weak ejector spring.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here are a couple of pics of where the extractor is riding in relation the the bolt face.

[Linked Image]
This shows the amount camber(?) of a round in relation to the fully extended ejector with the rim of the cartridge engaged with the extractor.

[Linked Image]
Here is the round being pulled over to fully compress the ejector.

My impression is the the extractor should be holding the cartridge closer to the bolt face allowing better performance from the ejector. The ejector spring could also be the problem as it's relatively easy to compress. It is a 70 year old rifle so a weakend spring is certainly a possibility.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
GB1

117LBS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here are some pics of the extractor removed if it helps to have a better look.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The guy that did that put the extractor in the wrong spot, it's no wonder you are having problems.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
117LBS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jkob
The guy that did that put the extractor in the wrong spot, it's no wonder you are having problems.

Explain.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I is in the wrong place on the bolt, it needs to be against the side of the locking lug.

IC B2

117LBS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Checked when I got home. I’m not sure what you are seeing but the extractor is about a millimeter from the lug.

Some real insight on this would be appreciated.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Your first and second picture, it appears the extractor is not against the lug as jkob says. Can you take another pic of that side of the bolt? Also, it appears the extractor may not be installed as far down the bolt as it should be. The bottom of the extractor groove should be flush with the boltface. Can you take a better pic of the boltface itself?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I seen some sako extractors installed like this away from the lug but protruding past the bolt face no. That's not like how I install them. How does the bolt close

117LBS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

More pics for those requesting.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
That should work, I like milling up to the lug, but that shouldn't be causing you any problem. Your weak ejection in caused by the ejector and spring

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

I would have found a Remington extractor.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Poconojack

You know how hard it is to find a extractor for a 722

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Put in a stronger ejector spring, and make sure the extractor claw is flat and sharp .. all good

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by gemby58

Not hard at all, I have 4 of them.

Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

I got about a dozen myself, but try to find one other than in your shop

117LBS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That should work, I like milling up to the lug, but that shouldn't be causing you any problem. Your weak ejection in caused by the ejector and spring

Thanks for the feedback.

Any recommendations on a spring? Is it the same as a 700? Should I just replace the spring or the spring and plunger?

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 117LBS

Thanks for the feedback.

Any recommendations on a spring? Is it the same as a 700? Should I just replace the spring or the spring and plunger?

The spring is the same for a 700/721/722. I would make sure the plunger doesn’t have any rough spots or edges that hang up. Also clean all the brass shaving from the recess and install a new spring.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

My old gunsmith friend had quite a few of them when mine gave up the ghost as well. He said they are like hens teeth, so he liked having some in stock...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
BTW - my Sako extractors do stick up past the nose of the bolt a bit like that on my Sako 85’s

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 805

Thanks for the feedback.

The spring is the same for a 700/721/722. I would make sure the plunger doesn’t have any rough spots or edges that hang up. Also clean all the brass shaving from the recess and install a new spring.

Spray some carburetor cleaner in the hole let soak and blow it out with a air hose. Like said above 700 spring will work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You mention " weak ejection", is it discharging the brass from the gun or is it dropping it back into the loading port? If so, that is a different problem altogether and a result of a poorly done conversion

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
OP,
The pic of the bastardized SAKO extractor cut in the bolt nose was improperly machined.

The SAKO extractor pivot should be a counter bore NOT a through hole to witness the firing pin.

With the improper install you will be hard pressed to acquire proper ejection w/ a spring & ejector change.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Dans40X

The SAKO extractor pivot should be a counter bore NOT a through hole to witness the firing pin.

Wouldn't that also be a potential safety issue? Any gas leakage normally is directed into the left side action vent hole. There is no action vent hole on the right, so gas could be directed out through the right side lug raceway from this new hole in the bolt.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
117LBS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
All noted. I have a spring on the way and will see if that helps. If not am I at a new bolt?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
OP,
No,you aren't at a total lose...yet.

A.003"-.004" press fit pin into the through hole for the bastardized SAKO extractor job.

Have a competent 'smith machine the bolt nose for a pinned mini or M16 style extractor.

The 3 rings of steel feature by design is null & void unless you install a bolt w/ the OEM Remington style extractor.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not to discount anyone else’s experience or knowledge, Tikka uses a through hole, right to the pin. Your ejection issue is likely related to ejector spring pressure and forward positioning of the extractor.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Shooter71
Not to discount anyone else’s experience or knowledge, Tikka uses a through hole, right to the pin. Your ejection issue is likely related to ejector spring pressure and forward positioning of the extractor.

How do they vent the gases from that side of the action in the event of leakage into the bolt? The exposed locking lug raceway otherwise points back towards the shooter's face/head.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Following this thread with interest.

Hunter S. Thompson
117LBS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

You think it’s set to far forward?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

It’s hard to say what it’s doing without having it in hand, but the farther forward the extractor is the less angular work the ejector can do on the case head. I’d just try a new spring and see, but you can also alter the notch on the ejector to get a little more throw out of it.

I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

How do they vent the gases from that side of the action in the event of leakage into the bolt? The exposed locking lug raceway otherwise points back towards the shooter's face/head.

There’s a vent hole about 90 degrees from the extractor. On a Tikka the extractor rotates slightly past the lug abutment.

117LBS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

It’s hard to say what it’s doing without having it in hand, but the farther forward the extractor is the less angular work the ejector can do on the case head. I’d just try a new spring and see, but you can also alter the notch on the ejector to get a little more throw out of it.

I tried to illustrate the relationship between the extractor location and the amount of ejector travel in the original post to see if I could get this answered. Thanks for the tip on modifying the plunger, I hadn't considered that. My hope was that if the extractor was too far forward there might be a different part(extractor) available that was shorter.

Last edited by 117LBS; 07/12/20.

117LBS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I installed a new spring and modified the ejector to give a little more travel and it seems to have helped. The brass is now being thrown fairly well as opposed to just barely falling out and dropping directly below the rifle. It still has trouble ejecting a loaded round but I understand that is normal? Wouldn't mind the extractor living a little closer to the bolt face but I likely live with it as is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 3,104 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,728
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.