Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aalf

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I bet it's a pain in the ass to get the rifle outta your front rest, when ya need to take a quick shot....grin

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
Hard to beat a Honda.

But a Suzuki King Quad may just do that.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We use them a lot hunting. Drive in ,then walk,. build trail, then trailer out the moose or elk. I see all colours. More blue than red, BTW. You need power steering, independent rear suspension, efi, good after market tires are a must, metal racks and at least 500cc There is a lot of quading around here..They guys that cycle through quads, after they end up on Can-Ams, stick with that brand. That tells you something.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Never forget good dealer support.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Had a Polaris '96 Sportsman 500, which was totally reliable. Used it mostly for hunting and plowing snow here in Colorado. Sold it to a guy in Kansas, who is still running it.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Is the track kit worth it or is it unnecessary...say in bogs and snow.?

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a 2008 Rancher and a 2017 Foreman. Both are pretty bulletproof. They aren't as fast as a lot of others, but I've had mine up to near 40 MPH with a passenger on the back. Honestly that was too fast, but we were trying to outrun a thunderstorm. The fear of getting struck by lightening was greater than crashing.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Honda pioneer 500 and got the tracks for snow last winter. Great machine, it’s a tank. Being older I like the sxs

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saj
I have a Honda pioneer 500 and got the tracks for snow last winter. Great machine, it’s a tank. Being older I like the sxs

Is there a vastly notable difference.?

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
yep. have had mine grizzly 10 years and its been great

Originally Posted by SamOlson
New or used I'd be looking for a Yamaha 700 Grizzly.
(assuming you meant 4-wheeler)

Some guys like Honda.

We move cows in some fairly rough country with ATV/UTV's and the Grizzly is a very good machine.

If speaking hard use and a UTV I'd get a Honda. We have a 900 Ranger and it's been fine but I don't bomb around too hard in that machine.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Yamaha or Honda, look no where else in my opinion. If you don't plan to tow or snow plow with it get a 350 or 450 size machine. It will be lighter and in some models smaller and more nimble. The electric power steering(EPS) is worth having. Buy a bright color, yellow, red, lime green, etc. so you can find it when you park it in the woods.

Funny you say that. I lost my green Honda once. It was right where it was suppose to be but I walked right past it

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No belt drives for me. 2002 Honda 450 Foreman manual foot shift.
Winch on the Foreman
2014 Honda 420 Rancher manual foot shift
Both machines 2wd and 4wd feature. Both have never been in a dealer shop, just general recommended maintenance and non-ethanol gas with SeaFoam additive. One or the other gets used on the farm just about every day.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SamOlson
New or used I'd be looking for a Yamaha 700 Grizzly.
(assuming you meant 4-wheeler)

Some guys like Honda.

We move cows in some fairly rough country with ATV/UTV's and the Grizzly is a very good machine.

If speaking hard use and a UTV I'd get a Honda. We have a 900 Ranger and it's been fine but I don't bomb around too hard in that machine.

i have one of those, p.s., independent suspension, disc brakes, very comfortable to ride. has a low/high, 4x4, also a locker to make it true 4x4 on all tires. will do about 70mph on the flats. rarely use the low range, not needed most of time. it has the ability to scare you in where it will go. also has a good trailer towing capacity.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
To the op, I didn’t read the entire thread, but in a gentle environment most anything works. You did mention mud and rough terrain. For rough terrain I like one with power steering. I live in Louisiana where people like to tear shiit up ( google Louisiana Mudfest, I live right up the road) I’ve had several bikes and seen them all. For reliability I strongly suggest a Honda or Yamaha. I have no doubt they have been the most reliable brand around here. One with i front locker is also a plus.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
One other thing if you tow or haul much on uneven terrain I prefer the straight rear axl of a Honda Foreman. The IRS bikes are definitely more comfortable for riding, but not as stable on uneven terrain with a load.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 358wsm

Is the track kit worth it or is it unnecessary...say in bogs and snow.?

I have tracks for mine (Suzuki 750 King Quad), most of my ATV use is ice fishing. The tracks are amazing, until you get over drifted cattails/brush, at which point you're fooked like a football bat. With the tracks and a blade you can move a LOT of snow as well.

I hunted Moose in Northern Alberta in '13. The guide had ATV's so we didn't bring ours. While sitting around the fire I mentioned having tracks for mine and they said they'd tried them and in boggy county they'd tear through the top level and bury themselves. I have 0 bog/track experience, but, I mentioned the tracks to 2 other guides in camp and all had the same story, not good in bogs.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aalf

[b]And replaced it with a new Foreman:

I have hunted all over Wisconsin, several states and Canada and never saw a Doskocil Gun Guard. I thought I made a wrong choice in a hard case until now. shocked cool

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 75 invisible), 2,745 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.