Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My favorite small game gun is a compact, multi-purpose gun that is always with me for thousands of miles of canoeing and dog mushing:

Sp 101 "Parka Pistol".

1. 180 grain A-frame/1200 fps load for bear protection when camp is full of moose and/or caribou. Moose protection when on trails with dog team. Moose are super grumpy in winter when startled by dogs.

2. Ruffed grouse, snowshoe hare and beaver.
158 grain speer tmj/1000 fps.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Even though I'm currently without one, always liked the build and feel of the 101. Nice.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Savage Model 24, 22lr on top 20ga on the bottom. Such a great bunny gun. Running shots with the 20 and head shots with the 22 if the hold. Big fan of the single shots for small game.

“I had three chairs in my house; one for solitude, two for friendship, three for society.” ― Henry David Thoreau, Walden
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
How many more days until Sept 1, feels like it will never get here.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Too many.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
By far my Ultra Light Arms Model 20 RF, lefty single shot. For the last twenty three years it’s been nothing but an excellent squirrel rifle.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No one favorite. Many I like to use:

CZ 452 American (22 LR)
marlin 880 SQ. (22 LR)
Winchester 310 (22 LR)
Rem 540XR (22 LR)
S&W m-14 full lug. (38 special wadcutters)
Beeman HW77. (.177 pellet under lever air rifle,)

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Current favorite is Marlin 782 22 Magnum topped with a 4x Leupold. For years I would have nothing to do with a 22 magnum but now that I can hunt feral hogs and small game at the same time I find it a perfect dual use rifle. It shoots the CCI and Fiocci 40 gr. FMJ's right at an inch most of the time at 100 yards and will with head shots take hogs out easily. The other option, a shotgun is limited by regulations to #2 shot max and I like 6's for squirrels so the rifle is already loaded for the possible hog appearance and the shotgun with #2 shot is not a top hog load and I would have to switch from a load of 6's in the chamber to the #2's before I could shoot. On the other hand the place has to be the Water Moccasin capitol of the world so sometimes I take the shotgun anyway.

C
C
lots of great pictures and stories here. As I was reading the replies, I noticed I have some of the same favorites. I have a plain jane CZ452 that's accurate as heck, a 10/22 with all the kidd accessories, leupold 2-7, silencerco sparrow, etc, but my all-time favorite is still the gun I grew up carrying in the woods alongside my dad, the remington nylon 66... lightweight, accurate enough, and beat up to the point that I don't worry about being a little rougher with it than I would the others.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28
What format do you prefer for your small game gun: bolt, semi-auto, lever, pump, single shot ?

For me:
1. Bolt action
2. Single Shot

I use a 10-22 with red dot and a SKB M100 20ga IC/M.

IC B3

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Tough question... if you forced me to pick only one, probably my Anschutz 64 topped with a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14X40mm EFR. But I use many different rifles and shotguns. My favorite shotgun is a Browning BSS Sporter 20 gauge that I had threaded for thin wall chokes... when we do our annual NorOnt upland/walleye trip, I bring the Anschutz or a Ruger 77/22 (stainless/walnut) and the BSS 20 gauge... it is a mixed bag of ruffed, spruce and sharptail grouse... limits every day, of both grouse and walleye... we eat good!

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Marlin 39A lever gun for me...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Though I do have a few small bore bolt centerfires I am fond of.

@T_Inman, I know this post is OLD, but man... What's that rear sight you got on there. That's sexy.

Yep.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like a Skinner...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Epochelyptikal

@T_Inman, I know this post is OLD, but man... What's that rear sight you got on there. That's sexy.

Good guess MOGC but it is actually a XS Ghost Ring, though I'd have zero reservation with a Skinner.

Marlin 39 XS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an XS Ghost Ring on a Marlin 1895 .45-70, a Skinner on a 336 .30-30 and a Williams Fool Proof on a M39A. For some reason that looked like my Skinner. Either way, they are all good! Love an aperture sighted lever gun.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Good guess MOGC but it is actually a XS Ghost Ring, though I'd have zero reservation with a Skinner.

Marlin 39 XS

What kind of accuracy are you seeing with that combination Tin? Certainly looks svelte.

Hands down my favorite chicken gun is Mathews Switchback XT. Stuffing a 100 grain Judo through a ruffie or snowshoe hare is definitely satisfying.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My favorite small game gun is the Stevens 22/410 my dad bought around 1950. I can't imagine the number of critters this gun has put on the table for my family over the years. Off hand between dad and I , I can remember it taking rabbits, squirrles, a few skunks foxes,grouse,doves,quail,pheasants,ducks a couple of geese ( Prior to non toxic shot rules of course) and 1 turkey. And lots of wood chucks. Dad has been gone for 30 years now but I still feel his presence every timetable the old gun out, and it still kills everything I want it to just fine. These days my kids all enjoy it too, they love the stories of their grandpa they never met.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Marlin 39A Golden Mountie

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KodiakHntr

Marlin 39 XS

What kind of accuracy are you seeing with that combination Tin? Certainly looks svelte.

Hands down my favorite chicken gun is Mathews Switchback XT. Stuffing a 100 grain Judo through a ruffie or snowshoe hare is definitely satisfying.

Good question. I honestly don't know.
I've never actually shot that rifle at a target, besides a random beer can to make sure it was on, then started killing stuff. I bought it used with that peep and front sight.

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
I have several, The K22 by KDF or the Mauser 201, same rifle, a Sako Quad, and a 581 Rem. I turned into a custom.

The Sako

The Mauser

The KDF

And the Rem.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (Akhutr, 10Glocks, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 14 invisible), 1,523 guests, and 861 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,224
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.