Print Thread
Hop To
P
PJ65 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Been doing contract work around summer homes eliminating wildfire hazards. Been kicking around the idea of a gas operated pole saw. Looked at the larger Husky which I liked because I am familiar with the 525 power head. Any one have experience with any of the professional model pole saws?

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have the Husqvarna. It’s a good one.

The Stihl with the extendable shaft is a really good one and gives you more flexibility and safe reach.

If I had it to do over I’d get the Stihl for the extension factor.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My uncle who I borrow and lend stuff to has a Stihl. Its a good machine but once you get to "professional" models they probably all are.

They are mighty handy to have around. When hurricane Matthew hit awhile back, one of the roads to our hunting property was blocked by a really big oak tree that the storm blew over. The bulk of the trunk was back off the road, and mostly the top was blocking it. Guys in the lease were talking about bringing in heavy equipment to remove it but I got to looking at it and decided that it could be safely dismantled piece by piece with a pole saw. It worked out that a guy could stand in the bed of a truck and reach the top limbs with the saw extended all the way out. We took turns cutting and in about an hour and a half the road was clear.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have this
Its pretty damn amazing. I was going to buy the stihl polesaw to go with my combi system but I took a gamble on this it is great. I have done 8" limbs with it

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've been looking at them recently. The one I've been looking at is the Echo. However, one thing that put me off is the weight. I've never been a battery-powered advocate of yard tools. However, the DeWalt was much lighter than the Echo gas trimmer. The only reason I'm considering it is that holding something over your head is already going to wear you out. Why make it heavier.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a Stihl 133 and it's been great.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm thinking of one of the electrics. Batteries are getting efficient enough that they make sense and are easier to work with than gas. It's a lot easier for me to plug a battery into the charger than it is to drive ten miles to buy gas and oil. Either way, my plan is to quit whittling off big limbs with a pruning saw. GD

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a Stihl Kombi tool with several different attachments including a shaft extension. If you can't do it with one of those, it can't be done.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have the Makita 36 volt with extensions, it is a beast

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I bought a sunjoe electric saw for clearing branches works well, it is not cordless. I paid right at 100 bucks for it.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Have had a stihl 131 for several years. Terrific saw.

Fear the crabcat.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I’ve used a friends Stihl quite a bit. Can’t remember if it’s the HT131 or 133. Either way, they’re heavy bastards but will definitely get the job done. Also, my chainsaw and trimmer are Stihl so don’t need to worry about keeping different gas mixes around

Last edited by Heeler; 07/06/20. Reason: GD autocorrect on iphone

He went over yonder way
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a stihl HT 56

Since you want a commercial review, my input is almost useless

Barely gets used 2-3 times a month here on the farm. Starts easy and doesn’t make a fuss and it’s 4 yrs old.

Also Great for making shooting lanes around deer stands in pre season.

Seems ‘heavy’ to me, but that my be my ‘bad shoulder’ showing itself... has a neck\shoulder strap harness that seems be a pain in the butt. So I just carry it around.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have two..........a gas operated Poulan that I've had for years, and really worked good for 10 years or so. Lately it's been acting all pizzy, and doesn't want to run. The other pole saw is a battery Dewalt, and it's a cutting fool.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had borrowed my neighbors Oregon 40V pole saw enough that he finally said, why don't you buy it from me? I was more than game and he sold it to me for dang near nothing.

I wear out before that battery ever does. I'm certainly not running it in a commercial fashion. Shooting lanes, farm road trimming, duck blind brushing and some annual work around the home.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a Stihl, too. It is a beast. Like slum, I don't use the harness. It's a pita. Easier to just carry.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Extremely pleased with my recent purchase of an Echo. Works the crap out of an young man. Weight is a killer on an old Fart. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
P
PJ65 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
The Husky I looked at is 9 foot collapsed and has a 16 foot reach. The local Stihl dealer has nothing in stock to look at, mostly homeowner type stuff. Have reservations about the collapsed length of the Husky, thats why I would like to check out the stihl. Want to stick with pro model as thats what I have always purchased as far as chainsaws. Usually burn up close to a couple gallons of fuel in a day. My saws get used hard.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,310
Posts18,468,202
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.