Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Count me as a 139 scenar believer.

The 136 also worked great on the one antelope i shot with it.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

I have some 136L's loaded for my Creed. I've not killed anything yet with that bullet.

What's the terminal performance like? As a LR bullet, I was thinking it may be a tad softer than the 139, but have not seen any reports.

DF

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't worry about the two that the op mentioned. I have used several different bullets and now shoot the 129 Interlock entirely in my .260s. They are very accurate, inexpensive and perform well. No need for anything else for what I do. I have read that the SST is a better bullet now, as well as the BT, but I will never load another SST in anything. There are too many other choices.

I shoot 147 ELDMs in one Creed, and Speer Gold Dot 140s in the other. The 129 does extremely well in the Creed, too, and I will probably go back to it, when these bullets are burned up.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I have some 136L's loaded for my Creed. I've not killed anything yet with that bullet.

What's the terminal performance like? As a LR bullet, I was thinking it may be a tad softer than the 139, but have not seen any reports.

DF

They might be, IIRC they have a little less lead in them (hello Captain Obvious) in the nose, but I don’t recall if they have a thinner or thicker jacket than the 139. I have no complaints with the way it put this antelope down. However I personally decided to stick with the 139.

Hit this guy at 235 yards with the 136L, impact velocity was right around 2,600.

Entrance was on right shoulder:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Exit:

Internals:

ALDO LEOPOLD
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The last time I recovered a 120-grain 6.5mm Ballistic Tip was a decade ago, when I shot one started at 3100 fps just inside the right shoulder of a doe pronghorn almost facing me at about 250 yards. The bullet was recovered under the hide of the left ham, retaining 59.4% of its weight.

Haven't tried the 6.5mm SST on anything, but two years ago went on a whitetail and pig cull/trophy hunt in South Texas with some other folks. We were all using .308 Winchesters, with Fiocchi factory ammo loaded with 150-grain SSTs. The ranges were all inside 150 yards, if I recall correctly, and we didn't recover a single bullet, even on a 200-pound buck shot frontally at an angle, and a 200-pound boar shot through both shoulders and the spine.

In general, I have found Ballistic Tips and SSTs act much like Interlocks of the same approximate weight and diameter these days. When recovered (not many are) they all retain about 50% of their weight, give or take 10%. This is true even when Ballistic Tips lose their cores, because the jacket weighs more than in conventional cup-and-cores.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

They might be, IIRC they have a little less lead in them (hello Captain Obvious) in the nose, but I don’t recall if they have a thinner or thicker jacket than the 139. I have no complaints with the way it put this antelope down. However I personally decided to stick with the 139.

Hit this guy at 235 yards with the 136L, impact velocity was right around 2,600.

Entrance was on right shoulder:

Exit:

Internals:

Hey Marty,
Who is the guy in the picture with you?

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doug,
His nickname is Scrawny.

ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doug,
His nickname is Scrawny.

My, my! They grow up fast, don’t they.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tested them both in wet phone books. Performance was similar with the BT penetrating a little better and the SST expanding a little wider. I’d not hesitate to use either where appropriate.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Brad
beretzs, not BCSteve, but I'm guessing these are from his 6.5 Test a few years back. He loaded to mild 6.5x55 velocities.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11184704/1

Steve is the Campfire's "Bullet Tester" extraordinaire!

Originally Posted by BCSteve

Approximate impact velocity:
90-100gr.............2850-2900fps
120gr..................2750-2800fps
125gr..................2600-2700fps
129-130gr............2550-2600fps
140gr-142.5gr.......2500-2550fps
156-160gr............2400-2500fps
168gr..................2300-2400fps

Here is the link with pictures.

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.nz/f15/6-5-bullet-test-results-28258/

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice find! Glad to see my pictures survived over there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Wow! That was one heck of a test. I know it took a lot of work, so thank you. Here are a few of my impressions.

Your test affirmed my belief that Partitions are never the wrong choice. The Interlock surprised me! For a budget bullet, it did the job. We don't hear much about Swift. Both the Scirocco and the A-frame were impressive.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Wow! That was one heck of a test. I know it took a lot of work, so thank you. Here are a few of my impressions.

Your test affirmed my belief that Partitions are never the wrong choice. The Interlock surprised me! For a budget bullet, it did the job. We don't hear much about Swift. Both the Scirocco and the A-frame were impressive.

You don't hear too much about Swift, but they look like they will get the job done.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have only used the Nosler 120gr BT but did so for a long time on Deer and Antelope in a .264 Win Mag and for 99% of the time it worked great with complete pass through. I even made my longest shot just over 500 yards on a Antelope.
I have almost cut a coyote in half I shot at close range it was like a bomb went off.
I finally decided to move to a little heaver bullet and tougher and now use Nosler 130 AB.
In anything smaller than .264 Win Mag you will be completely satisfied with Nosler 120gr BT.
It was only on close in shots I had a problem. Never lost a animal just made mess.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H

Interlocks are called the poor man's premium.

Why is abbreviate such a long word
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by HadsDad
[quote=BCSteve]Nice find! Glad to see my pictures survived over there.

Interlocks are called the poor man's premium.
[/quote
yes the interlock is a great hunting bullet and is indeed termed as "the poor mans partition".
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
145 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,897
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.