Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I am a bit behind the curve in securing a tripod suitable for backpacking. Any suggestions based on experience would be appreciated.

I am initially looking at Outdoorsmans compact tripod.

Thanks for the help.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of good options these days. I've been using an Outdoorsmans medium for several years with no complaints.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Got a BOG Death Grip for truck excursions/camping. Works great!

Converted the Caldwell tripod that came with the chrono for backpacking. Works great!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The outdoorsman is a great setup although I would go medium compact over compact unless you only glass sitting on pretty much level ground.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 805
The outdoorsman is a great setup although I would go medium compact over compact unless you only glass sitting on pretty much level ground.

$500 !.

If I had your money...I'd burn mine.

IC B2

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Originally Posted by 805

$500 !.

The OP said he was looking at the Outdoorsman. Burn your money please.

Southtex
Take a look at the Sirui tripods and also the Slik. I’ve got a Slik 624CF with the outdoorsman micro pan head and it’s been awesome.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by 805

$500 !.

Southtex
Take a look at the Sirui tripods and also the Slik. I’ve got a Slik 624CF with the outdoorsman micro pan head and it’s been awesome.

Is that California Elitist English you're speaking??

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by 805

$500 !.

Southtex

Is that California Elitist English you're speaking??

Nope! Just a personal opinion on the actual tripod that the OP was asking about and some other options for him to consider based upon actual field use of them.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

I’ve heard some mention that they would rather pack a few extra ounces in an aluminum tripod versus a carbon unit due to the extra stability that the weight provided in less than calm conditions......thoughts?

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If extremely windy take a small dry sack and fill it with rocks and hang it from the center section of the tripod. Many tripods even have a hook built into the center section. Much more stable and when your done just dump them out.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a promaster CF I got from Doug, very happy with it thus far.

AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've used the Vortex SUMMIT SS-P ..... specs say 2 lbs, but I think it's a little heavier. I Might look into trying to lighten it up.... I don't need the extended height. All in all though, it's been solid for sitting and glassing with a Swaro ATS 80 HD ... Just got an ATM 65 HD, so will be trying that with it next.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd get a carbon-fiber with flip-locks from Doug. And probably the head as well. Mine is a Slik 713 CF. I would get whatever equivalent Doug/Neal recommended. Be advised I need just this height and weight rig for glassing with 15X binocs -- lesser/lighter rigs need not apply. It's not too big to backpack, and has been humped many a mile. Ultralite it is not ...

Not found any Outdoorsman item that could not be better replaced by a less pricey rig. YMMV.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Southtex
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

I’ve heard some mention that they would rather pack a few extra ounces in an aluminum tripod versus a carbon unit due to the extra stability that the weight provided in less than calm conditions......thoughts?

Carbon fiber is not an issue with wind any moreso than with any tripod. It's easy to add weight. In heavy wind the binoc (or spotter) securement hardware is much more important.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My tripod with ball head weighs 3 lbs 13 oz and I would not want it lighter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't dismiss the used market for items like this. My lightly used Outdoorsmans tripod and head system was less than $300.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dang right -- There are several Manfrotto and similar tripods, as well as fluid heads, in or through my house. Wife finds at GoodWill and sells on the internet. Kid you not. All weights and kinds. It's amazing. This wasn't the case when I got my current Slik. Today, I would go Doug and go early ... wife has not found the exact equivalent of my Slik, usually heavier or lighter rigs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a stripped down Sirui T-005X aluminum tripod- remove the lowest (thinnest) legs and a portion of the center (unscrews) center piece and end up with a pretty solid tripod that weighs under 2 lbs

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by AHM
I've used the Vortex SUMMIT SS-P ..... specs say 2 lbs, but I think it's a little heavier. I Might look into trying to lighten it up.... I don't need the extended height. All in all though, it's been solid for sitting and glassing with a Swaro ATS 80 HD ... Just got an ATM 65 HD, so will be trying that with it next.

I use the same tripod under a swaro 65mm. I haven’t had any issues over the last 6/7 years I’ve had it and its one of the cheapest price-wise while one of the lightest to carry. Add weight by hanging rocks from the center post as mentioned earlier.

Pitter Patter!
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the input gents. I ended up with a ProMaster CF from Doug. I don’t have any real time on it yet but first impressions are good thus far.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
397 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 41 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.