-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
https://www.kristv.com/news/local-news/prized-tagged-redfish-caught-by-texas-woman

video in link

woman
Prized tagged redfish caught by Texas woman
By: Chelsea Torres
Posted at 9:20 PM, Jul 05, 2020
and last updated 6:30 AM, Jul 06, 2020

CORPUS CHRISTI, TX — Redfish are one of the most commonly caught fish in the Texas Gulf. But, so is speckled trout. That's what gun manufacturer, Bettina Mathis was hoping to catch on a quick getaway to the coast.

With her husband, the Dripping Springs resident went on a guided fishing trip with Corpus Christi Outfitters Owner, Carson Bashaw.

"When Carson asked us what we wanted , or ya know what we were trying to fish for. And we both said trout. We thought we were on a trout fishing mission," said Mathis.

Bashaw had known Mathis for 14 years. He said Mathis came down a few times a year to fish, but she only started fishing more recently.

Within a few hours on the water, Mathis' husband caught a huge redfish. Bashaw told them it could be a tournament fish if they were registered with the Coastal Conservation Association, or CCA. Mathis was unaware of any CCA tournaments, but while fishing in the Laguna Madre, decided to sign up and register.

CCA is a non-profit, aiming to help restock the redfish and speckled trout populations, as well as give scholarships to kids through tournaments. CCA's Texas Star Tournament gives CCA members a chance to win up to $1,000,000 in prizes and scholarships.

As for Mathis, she just wanted to keep fishing to hit their trout limit.

After a couple different spots, Bashaw saw Mathis' rod hook up. She reeled the fish in and Bashaw said he thought it might have been another trout.

"Whenever the fish got close it came to the top of the water and noticed it was a redfish," said Bashaw, surprised.

"I netted it and then the fish flipped over in the net and the tag was sticking straight up. I had never seen one before but, there's no question about what it was whenever I saw it."

Mathis said he told her it was a CCA tagged redfish, "it just didn't feel real, I-I didn't even know what a tag looked like," she laughs.

CCA rules state that an angler has 24 hours before the fish needs to be brought into a CCA certified weigh station.

Mathis wanted to fish longer, but that storm was starting to come through.

Bashaw said when they made it back to Bluff's Landing & Marina, and rushed to Roy's Bait & Tackle, where a CCA weigh station was located.

When they got to Roy's to register the CCA tagged redfish, Mathis said everyone was excited.

"Once everybody figured out I had the tagged redfish, Roy's was packed! And everybody was freaking out because I had the tagged redfish!"

Mathis had to send in information about her tagged redfish and take a polygraph test to be an eligible winner.

She was contacted by CCA to inform her that she was the fourth winner this year.

"Catching a tagged redfish is like winning the lottery," said Bashaw.

A CCA tagged redfish is like a fishing lottery. Come October, Mathis will take a trip to Houston to receive her prizes; a 2020 Ford F-150, a 23-foot boat and a trailer.

In the meantime, Mathis has already booked another fishing trip with Bashaw in the next couple weeks. She is also on the way to becoming a Port Aransas resident, where she intends to fish as much as she can.

Her CCA tagged redfish was 4.07 lbs and just under 23 inches.
Copyright 2020 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

rte Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's awesome.

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good things happening to good people cool

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Very cool...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I caught one once. Sent the tag into the SCDNR and they sent me a couple of t-shirts. A truck and boat would have been better! laugh

Last edited by RJY66; 07/06/20.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Great for her but CCA managed to get the entire flounder catch closed for us here in NC for almost a year now so they can suck it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Been meaning to take a trip down there and hire us a charter with some friends. Great story...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heck yeah! Talk about luck, signing up in the middle of the trip.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Damn I miss Aransas Bay. Have lots of good stories.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Great for her but CCA managed to get the entire flounder catch closed for us here in NC for almost a year now so they can suck it.

Your logic reminds me of the P cod managers around Kodiak... The spawning did not happen for two years but they kept on fishing them like always. Now the season is closed for at least five years...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One darn good fishing day for sure. Would be neat if they did some of that tagging on the great lakes, especially Lake Ontario. I'd love to land a Lake Trout, Salmon, or such and collect a new F-150 & 23 ft. boat with trailer.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

204 members (19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 30 invisible), 2,094 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,368
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.