Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Charlton is a PH born and raised in Zim and still active. Just finished his book Tall Tales and thoroughly enjoyed it. Mostly stories about elephant hunting in Zim, but he covers other topics, and gives a really good description of the Zambezi Valley. Photos are first class. There is a pretty grusome one showing human remains found in a croc's stomach.

Like most PH's that hunt damergerous game, Charlton should have been squashed or eated a few times. Interestingly, he seems to think buffalo hunting danger is over rated.

Tells a good story about how how wroking the bolt on his Ruger M77 hyper-fast left him with a jam. I've had that happen. Good explaination on the cause.

I recomment the book to all those that love hunting Africa. His stories will have you nodding your head thinking "Yep, that's right!" or "Yep, I've seen that!".

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...tall-tales-by-buzz-charlton#Post13223893

It's a good read. He hunts in crocs.

I thought he kind of dissed Craig Boddington. I'm kind of puzzled about that. Didn't they make a video or videos together? I've met Craig a few times, actually picked up at the Calgary airport. He's a gentlemen and real. No airs about him.

It's worth reading Charlton's book.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I saw that on Craig and was also puzzled. I read it as if there are a few things in Craig's books he doesn't agree on, but most of it he does.

I shared a camp with him for a few days in Argentina about 10 years ago and enjoyed his company. Certainly a gentleman and did not put on aires. Fun to talk to about guns, scopes, and hunts. Being a lefty (left handed, I mean) narrows his favorite guns.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A number of people were put down in the book, which I found a bit distasteful.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Borealis Bob
A number of people were put down in the book, which I found a bit distasteful.

I was stunned by the Boddington reference, he's my Jack O'Connor, although he doesn't like me referring to him that way. But if you think about his body of work over 40 years, he might very well be much more than O'Connor (my opinion).

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
757 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 76 invisible), 2,960 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.