24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Retired hospital administrator in 2017. Retired US Army Reserve in 1996, 7 years active duty, 15 National Guard and Reserve. Was training to be a consultant forester in East Tennessee, primarily strip mine reclamation when I won the draft lottery. Have lived in 7 states and Germany, most recently Alaska 12 years, Oregon 15 years, New Mexico 3 years and going on 12 years in SW Montana where I plan to stay until I graduate from this life. Studying to become a commissioned ruling elder (lay pastor) to provide temporary pulpit coverage for rural Presbyterian churches in Montana.

Life has a way of taking us lots of places we never dreamed of. Have been privileged to enjoy hunting in Alaska and Montana primarily, especially Dall sheep, moose and more recently elk and deer. Hunted some in other states but mostly whitetail or blacktail deer.

Dad had an old model 99 in 25-35 when I was a pup and have loved these rifles ever since. I've only shot a number of deer with my 99F in 300 Savage, also have a 99A and 99EG in 250 Savage and a custom stocked 99 in 308 which will shoot both 150 and 165 grain hornady superperformance in less than an inch consistently but have yet to shoot game with it. Probably heresy to say this but most of lever action hunting has been with a BLR in 358 Winchester. Deadly on deer and moose and nice to have on hand when grizzly are near. Have shot more game with bolt action 270's than any other rifle. Hope to get my elk with a model 99 this year, just because those rifles deserve to be used more. Thought about rebarreling the 250 EG into a 250AI with a 1 in 10 twist like my 99A, but may never get around to it. The EG has the best trigger of any of my lever actions but won't stabilize 100 grain bullets too well, maybe a 2 1/2 inch rifle at 100 yards.

Sorry, talking too much probably. Great forum for model 99 information.

US Army (Retired)
Airborne All The Way!
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
retired from a large home builder "quality control" also finish carpenter

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm the managing partner of a company that owns resort rental properties, currently condominiums in Breckenridge and Dillon, CO, and a house in Breckenridge, CO. I spend an average of 12 hours per week "managing" them. I've been doing this since 2003, so it doesn't take as much time as it did when I was learning the ropes.

The 2 minority partners are friends from when we lived in Hanover, NH, who each own 20%, while our company owns 60%. Until COVID-19 shut us down in mid-March, we were content with our portfolio, but the partners are talking about buying some condos in the Vail market if the prices are right. I told them that I didn't want anything to do with Vail ever again, so if they want to get back into that market, they'll have to form their own new company and find someone to manage it for them. Being the majority owner with absolute veto power has some upside.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had to come back to work to get some rest. I’ve been hauling things to a new deer lease. I was off 5 days. I’m tired.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Don't retire, it gets worse.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeMartin

It gets better after you learn how to put off till tomorrow (next week, next year...) what you could/should have done today.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Rick99

It gets better after you learn how to put off till tomorrow (next week, next year...) what you could/should have done today.

👍👍👍👍👍👍

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Joe, you're not doin' it right.

I do a major home renovation project each winter to keep the lil woman happy. The rest of the year I hunt and fish and recline on the boat, while sipping cocktails with other gentlemen of leisure.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Damnesia: NOTHING!
Been retired for 23 full years now - those pension checks, investments and my social security check just keep coming in and adding up every month!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I am a retired school teacher as was my first wife .. She passed in 2006... We had spent most of our lives in Southern Wyoming... In 1999 we took early retirement... We were 51 and 52 years of age.. I am so glad we did.. She would have had nothing if we had waited til we were 62.. As it was we did a lot of hunting fishing, traveling and visiting relatives before she was taken.. Since then I have another partner... The only thing I would have done differently if I could have was retire right out of high school!!! I liked teaching, but have not missed it one bit.. This last year I can see myself slowing down, but I still get out most days with my dogs and shoot, cruise the hills or sometimes fish... Don't wait life is too short to spend it working.. My stepdaughter's husband is a great guy, but he has never learned how to play... All he does is work and then work around the house on week ends.. Sad!!!

Molon Labe
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
This has been a very interesting thread.

Have not contributed much to the forum for a while, because while I was a 99 (and 95) loony for several decades, eventually almost escaped. My last remnant is a Featherweight .358 made in 1955, inherited from one of my hunting mentors--who grew up in New York City, and in his high school years hitch-hiked to the Catskills to deer hunt with the cased .358 over his shoulder. At the time you could not get a driver's license in NYC until 18.

My resume: paper delivery boy from 12-15, but also worked summers for a live theater run by a relative during the same period, mostly building sets but sometimes standing around mumbling on stage when a "kid" was called for. First jobs after high school were "cowboying" and farmhand., but always wanted to be a writer. Started publishing stuff for money at 21, but kept working part-time at various jobs until 30, including oil-rig worker and seasonal "custom cutter," running a wheat/barley/safflower combine from July to October for seven years. (Eventually worked my way up to foreman.) Also worked a couple years for a historical/archaeological research firm, as the cartographer both in the field and the office--and turning field reports into English.

Meanwhile kept writing in my "spare" time, and since age 30 haven't done anything else. Have written for several dozen magazines, including National Geographic and Sports Illustrated, and traveled a bit around the world on various assignments . But have "started" retiring in the past few years, due to some OK investments--though writers usually never retire. They just write less.

Have seen some 99s that have tempted me a LOT lately!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yard worker and handyman. Electrician/Air Conditioning/Carpenter/Plumber.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Up until I retired, I was a union carpenter superintendent!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Retired Plumbing contractor.

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
This has been a very interesting thread.

Have not contributed much to the forum for a while, because while I was a 99 (and 95) loony for several decades, eventually almost escaped. My last remnant is a Featherweight .358 made in 1955, inherited from one of my hunting mentors--who grew up in New York City, and in his high school years hitch-hiked to the Catskills to deer hunt with the cased .358 over his shoulder. At the time you could not get a driver's license in NYC until 18.

My resume: paper delivery boy from 12-15, but also worked summers for a live theater run by a relative during the same period, mostly building sets but sometimes standing around mumbling on stage when a "kid" was called for. First jobs after high school were "cowboying" and farmhand., but always wanted to be a writer. Started publishing stuff for money at 21, but kept working part-time at various jobs until 30, including oil-rig worker and seasonal "custom cutter," running a wheat/barley/safflower combine from July to October for seven years. (Eventually worked my way up to foreman.) Also worked a couple years for a historical/archaeological research firm, as the cartographer both in the field and the office--and turning field reports into English.

Meanwhile kept writing in my "spare" time, and since age 30 haven't done anything else. Have written for several dozen magazines, including National Geographic and Sports Illustrated, and traveled a bit around the world on various assignments . But have "started" retiring in the past few years, due to some OK investments--though writers usually never retire. They just write less.

Have seen some 99s that have tempted me a LOT lately!

Nice John, sounds like a rich life!! Thanks for that Paul Harvey summary

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mule Deer, maybe you should be writing the engraved Savage book.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Oh man, don't be telling me that. I come from a long line of folks for whom retirement was something only the "country club" set did. My father "retired" at 74 when he figured he could no longer do the heavy lifting required for repairing John Deere rice combines and farm tractors. His decision was driven by physical limitations and not economic leverage on old age. I remember listening to his comments on the labor issues in the auto industry back in the 70s. He wasn't anti union, he wasn't union at all because those types of organizations played so little in the average work life of northern Californians - as they do even today. But often he did say he wished he had made as much money and benefits as the auto workers did - even before they went on strike for more! I got lucky and eventually found work with a state agency that provides some for retirement and I'm beginning to carve notches in the wall. And when I do retire, I will be the first in my family to have actually had the opportunity to do so. I sure wish I could tell my dad about it but he only lived a decade after deciding to call it quits on his work life. So I am looking forward to retirement, god willing I keep my health and mental faculties in tack - the latter of which I will admit that some have argued to varying degrees of success I never really had. But that's another story for another day.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I served 25 years active duty in the Air Force and 20 years DOD civil service. I retired 5 years ago to spend more time with my kids and grandkids. Started late in life with Savage 99's, trade for a 99E at a gun show 20 years ago. I have had a dozen or so over the years and was influenced by Mule Deer's writing on them. Down to a 1958 model 99F in 300 Savage and imagine I will give it to one of the grandsons some day.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 74 invisible), 3,069 guests, and 1,418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.