-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Here we are, they're gonna be three weeks old on Thursday.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

So far momma has been taking care of everything and keeping the bed remarkably clean.

Pretty soon though they are gonna be peeing and crapping on their own. I ain't anxious to put 'em outside in the back yard on account of first shots don't come until six weeks and there's a lot of strays around here.

Fortunately I got linoleum tile floors everywhere, I'm just gonna remove the furniture, put down pee pads and newspaper, and give 'em that small room. That bed is a kiddie wading pool covered with a cheap old sleeping bag, I'm gonna cut an opening in the side so they can get in and out. This is a temporary thing, another month and they should all be adopted out.

Question:

When and how should I begin offering them food and water?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Chewy.com?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Once they start chewing everything in site get something to chew or they’ll find something on their own. They should be about ready to start on the food and water now...

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
No need to rush things unless your lactating has stopped.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mike, what kind of mix are they?

I think I know someone looking for a cow dog type puppy..... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Once they start chewing everything in site get something to chew or they’ll find something on their own. They should be about ready to start on the food and water now...

Get a BIG bag of rawhides! You are about to have a house full of little land sharks.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by billhilly

Get a BIG bag of rawhides! You are about to have a house full of little land sharks.

Yup! grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lay down a plastic tarp underneath the pee pads and newspaper.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
At 3 weeks, I'd start soaking food with milk replacer now. Calf milk from the feed store works well. Still let her keep and feed them, but they will be lapping milk and eating softened feed pretty quick. I always felt it takes some of the stress off Momma. let her clean up what they don't eat.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Have had two litters of pups over the years, best I can recall began feeding food softened with powdered milk at around four weeks.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fldoghunter
At 3 weeks, I'd start soaking food with milk replacer now. Calf milk from the feed store works well. Still let her keep and feed them, but they will be lapping milk and eating softened feed pretty quick. I always felt it takes some of the stress off Momma. let her clean up what they don't eat.

Tks, how do I give it to them?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
free choice in a bowl. puppy chow in milk. just like your cornflakes.

adjust amount fed according to consumption

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
If you don't have one, get a wide bottomed dog food bowl that they can not tip over. usually stainless steel. I would be keeping water in front of them now also.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
Mike, what kind of mix are they?

I think I know someone looking for a cow dog type puppy..... whistle

Maybe small, timid cows.

Father is a 25lb wire-haired congenial companion dog, kills rodents, chases cats, chases the FedEX truck. The mom is a 15lb porch yapper with an underbite....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

If anyone could make cowdogs out of 'em you would be the guy.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Parvo in the summer is a very real threat to young pups and I have always considered it airborne.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by billhilly

Yup! grin

Do not feed rawhide bones. If they swallow pieces or such, it can swell up and compact on the bowels,They can kill dog s. Ask any vet
I would not let them run free in the house.Crate train them and it will be easier to house breaking when the time comes.Every time they eat or drink,immediately take them outside.They will almost house break themselves,

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (2500HD, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 74 invisible), 3,029 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.