24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 43 of 67 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 66 67
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
3.2 mile hike with 39lb pack and almost 1200ft ascent. Though a little sore it felt good to get in the woods.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
As cwh2 said, you have to feel like you are working it..Walking along like you are looking hard for a 4 leaf clover will do little....Hills will do more than a little, even ones that don't seem all that big....When into middle age and just starting to workout, a heart checkout on one of their treadmills is a wise first step....,

An Apple or Garmen HR watch is a good investment for many. Not only for the immediate feedback info they give you, but they can be synced to your phone and allows one to easily track their workouts and progress....approximate calories, miles, time, elevation, frequency, a reminder to get moving, an obvious reminder one is slacking. Track heat rate variability, which is something relatively new, that many of the serious exercise people are now using to estimate when to push it and when to scale back the effort and let the body repair....Someone like mtwarden doesn't need one, because he essentially has an strongly ingrained habit...His mind will not let him miss too many workouts.

A couple workout friends that hold each other to the commitment, can make a difference until the habit becomes ingrained.....Call it a good or bad habit, but that is the necessity for long term commitment.

Last edited by battue; 07/03/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
^ interesting smile

4 miles on the trails with Tiny E, may hit the gym later in the day

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Treadmill jog: 15min
Rower: 15min
Squats 4x12, Incline BP 4x12. Tricep extension 4x12, Preacher curls 4x12

Plan is 3 mile hike tonight with Merlot.

Changed gyms today....The Y was mask here, no mask here....Mask to go into the BR , etc....I said enough and joined another gym down the road....Old school gym, open 24/7 and almost as hot inside as out....Working up a sweat is easily accomplished..... laugh

Some hardcore ladies in there, I was looking for Smoke but he must have been there and gone already.....

Last edited by battue; 07/03/20.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I don't use a heart monitor, but maybe I should?

I will tell you that the biggest impact on cardio fitness is low intensity, long duration workouts. It's building the base. It takes time, but this is where most of one's effort should be imo (and more importantly in the opinion of most, if not all, trainers of endurance athletes).

I think it is important to mix some high intensity stuff in (as well as strength training), but the vast majority of time should be spent in lower intensity, longer duration stuff.

Obviously to build a solid base, the workouts have to be consistent.

If you can find a copy, check out Training for the Uphill Athlete- you don't need to be an athlete to benefit form the wisdom of several of the top trainer/athletes in the world.

Thanks for the info MTW, I like the sound of a lower speed long burn, working up to 8 or 10% incline at 3.5 to 4 mph for an hour beats the hell out of the idea of me running on the treadmill, my Wife is on it now, she will pound out 6 or 8 miles this morning, iirc she averages about a 6.5 miles per hour.

I did 1.35 miles last night in about 22 minutes with a couple minute cool down walk, do have free weights, a bench and exercise cable? machine here too, there's really no excuse for my laziness, she's the best 'motivator' in the world, Thanks again.

Edit to add, the heart monitor is built into the grips on her treadmill.

Gunner, I use the ones built into the grips too. I'm 62 and for me anyway, around 130-135 bpm is the top of my aerobic (base) level. I like a higher base level than most people FWIW. A lot of people peg the base level as an intensity where you can still have a conversation but I like to press that a little to where it's difficult to have any kind of conversation more than a few words. When I do higher intensity intervals (30 second intervals every 2 minutes) I get up in the 165-170 bpm range.

Resting HR is around 55 bpm.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by gunner500
I don't use a heart monitor, but maybe I should?

I will tell you that the biggest impact on cardio fitness is low intensity, long duration workouts. It's building the base. It takes time, but this is where most of one's effort should be imo (and more importantly in the opinion of most, if not all, trainers of endurance athletes).

I think it is important to mix some high intensity stuff in (as well as strength training), but the vast majority of time should be spent in lower intensity, longer duration stuff.

Obviously to build a solid base, the workouts have to be consistent.

If you can find a copy, check out Training for the Uphill Athlete- you don't need to be an athlete to benefit form the wisdom of several of the top trainer/athletes in the world.

Thanks for the info MTW, I like the sound of a lower speed long burn, working up to 8 or 10% incline at 3.5 to 4 mph for an hour beats the hell out of the idea of me running on the treadmill, my Wife is on it now, she will pound out 6 or 8 miles this morning, iirc she averages about a 6.5 miles per hour.

I did 1.35 miles last night in about 22 minutes with a couple minute cool down walk, do have free weights, a bench and exercise cable? machine here too, there's really no excuse for my laziness, she's the best 'motivator' in the world, Thanks again.

Edit to add, the heart monitor is built into the grips on her treadmill.

Gunner, I use the ones built into the grips too. I'm 62 and for me anyway, around 130-135 bpm is the top of my aerobic (base) level. I like a higher base level than most people FWIW. A lot of people peg the base level as an intensity where you can still have a conversation but I like to press that a little to where it's difficult to have any kind of conversation more than a few words. When I do higher intensity intervals (30 second intervals every 2 minutes) I get up in the 165-170 bpm range.

Resting HR is around 55 bpm.

That's damn good stuff smokepole, you've got it going in, I bought that treadmill for Wife a few years ago because of our location, nice country here, but too many dogs and highways/roads with no shoulder, that with log truck and poultry semi traffic is asking for problems, running here at the farm and up on the mountain has it's own issues, wild hogs, bears and mountain lions, not to mention in a year round workout program rattle snakes and copperheads hang out on the mountain this time of year.

The treadmill is the safest route for both of us, it's a TRUE Excel Series, found out last night it will go up to 15% incline, like MTW said, I set it at 4 MPH at 15%, HR blasted up to 151 BPM, backed it down to 3 MPH and set everything from the tops of my heels to my waist on fire, so yes, a steep incline even at slow speeds can and did work my tail off, I was only able to keep that 15% for two minutes, no need for me to have a heart attack right off the bat, more than happy to learn you can work hard without having to run.

Left there and went to the weight room, put two 45 lb plates on the cable pulldown machine and did a couple sets of 30 reps, nice and slow, felt good, your resting heart rate of 55 tells me you're in great cardio shape, Wife's is 45, I'm currently around 70.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BTW, I took Wife to Disney Land/World? in Orlando a couple Februarys ago, she ran the Goofy Run, that's a 5K on Fri, 13 mile half on Sat, then full 26 mile run on Sunday, I'm lucky to have such a great motivator/doer right here at home, ALL laziness is 100% on me, she is a 58 year old machine. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
^ that's getting after it- good on her!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

+1. I was never much of a runner, it's too much like work! But I do admire those who run distances, that takes some dedication.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
5 miles with my wife and Tiny E; building my appetite for ribs and all the trimmings laugh

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Got some filets here. With asparagus and Greek salad Baby back ribs in the freezer, waiting on my nephew and his family to get here on Monday.

Fire up the smoker!!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
:thumbs_up:

snuck off to the gym

deadlifts/overhead press 5/5/5+
lunges 3x25 yds
chinups 3x12
core

Last edited by mtwarden; 07/04/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Shot sporting clays....Merlot had a walk and a buch of play time with a variety of people while I was shooting.....had killer pizza and now some ice cream..

Some filet and baby back would have been appreciated....

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by smokepole

+1. I was never much of a runner, it's too much like work! But I do admire those who run distances, that takes some dedication.

Thanks men, and damn right smokepole, major WORK running has to be, when I met that woman many decades ago and found out she was a runner, I told her, "if you see me running, RUN!" "i'll explain later" ; ] just hollered and ask, she's on a cool down walk from a 9 mile run this morning, hellacious dedication.

Thanks for the help and info men, i'll stick to my exercise plan too, guess I need to try to be healthier and stay around awhile with her, she'll probably live to be 110.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
5 miles on the trails w/ Tiny Elvis before it gets too hot; 32 miles for the week- nothing over 7 miles, but on the trails almost every day

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Did about 1:45 walking hills with the pack on this morning. I had cut back on that, was starting to feel a twinge in the hip. felt good to be back at it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Low 90F and walked a Sporting Clay tournament for 3 hours, and then took Merlot for a 55 minute hike in it....Time to set on the porch in the shade...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Gym treadmill: 30minutes
Squats, standing press, sitting rows, dumbbell bench press...all 4x8

94F outside.....

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Gunner, you are a big guy and mass puts a lot of strain on your joints and muscles. Diet and exercise combined will allow you to gain the level of cardio/muscular endurance that you desire. Avoiding injury is goal one and the less mass you have to move the better. You don't have to be skinny or weak to have great cardio.

There are several guys on here that are of a "certain age" that have learned from experience what works and what hurts. hint: Battue.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 43 of 67 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 66 67

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
605 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,799 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,130
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.