Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I replaced the water inlets on both toilets recently with the type without the “bulb”. But the water level kept dropping and allowing the inlets to run so I bought new flappers. No change so I bought 2 new valves today and still have the same problem.

The water level slowly drops that activates the water inlets. For the time being I slipped a heavy washer over the flapper chain thinking more weight might make a better seal.

Then I realized the water levels are much lower than they used to be - perhaps as much as 1 1/2” - 2”. So I’m thinking maybe with the lower water level, there’s less weight of the water holding the flapper down. Too tired today but I’ll pull the inlets out tomorrow and raise the water levels back up to where they were long ago.

I’m at a loss at the moment so any help would be appreciated, thanks.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Do your "valves" have a fill tube on them,if so make sure the fill tube is not stuck way into the fill tube,can create a siphon effect.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Flappers start to seal immediately upon settling so the tank can fill up. They don't need a set amount of water weight on them in order to seal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But the flappers are what the water leaks past. And your "inlets" are called fill valves. Make sure you are buying quality flappers.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Might need to check to see if the bottom ring at the tank drain the 'flapper' is supposed to cover and seal could have something wrong preventing the flapper from completely sealing it off.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by rong
Do your "valves" have a fill tube on them, if so make sure the fill tube is not stuck way into the fill tube,can create a siphon effect.

Yes, both fill tubes are well down into the bowl fill tubes - below the existing tank water level. I pulled them up and I‘ll see how this works. Thanks.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Regarding the lower water level now, all the non "bulb" float type mechanisms if replaced have had a way to adjust the water level shut off point up or down some.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few inches of extra “water column” isn’t going to be enough additional pressure to seat them “extra good”. I doubt that’s the problem.

Has to be something with the new flappers or where they are seating.

The float on the inlet should have an adjustment, either a screw, or slide, something to allow you to tune the water level.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would get a whole new flush kit. Pretty cheap, and would eliminate a sticking inlet valve. If I need a new flapper I usually just toss in a new kit. Limestone water here, so stuff gets gummed up. 10 bucks and done.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluidmaster-...flush+kit&qid=1594074603&sr=8-23

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
When flapper seats there should be some slack in the chain, if not then the flapper will not seat. Disconnect the chain completely and see if the flapper seats and holds water.

Is this a one piece toilet or a two piece with separate tank and bowl? If flapper is seating well but still leaking then you most likely have a crack or chipped horn at the tank outlet.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Get a whole new kit and follow the directions closely. You can temporarily coat the bottom of the flapper with a liberal coat of Vaseline. If your leak stops it is a slow flapper leak. It could also be the tank gasket, or even a cracked tank.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We once had a rather fancy/expensive one-piece toilet setup and it was a slow leaker - very frustrating - tried more than one new rubber flap to no avail and then decided to smear a heavy coat of vaseline on the brass valve seat - that stopped it. So, drained the thing, removed that brass seat and thought about resurfacing it - but decided to shop a bit - found a new one - problem fixed.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by rong
Do your "valves" have a fill tube on them,if so make sure the fill tube is not stuck way into the fill tube,can create a siphon effect.

I shortened the fill hoses so they didn’t touch the water level inside the tube above the flapper and that appears to have solved the problem.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (16Racing, 163bc, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 54 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.