Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Reba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Has anyone used a Berger Hunting bullet?

How did it perform?

What animal was it?

What caliber was the bullet?

Any other thoughts?
l

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes
Great
WT deer
.172 (17-204)
100yd ish...neck shot....Bang flop....

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes
Great
WT deer
.243 (6x47L)
252 yard head shot...bang flop

Last edited by mibowhunter; 07/06/20.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I shoot the 105 hybrids in my 243. Although technically a " target bullet" it performs like other Berger hunting bullets. I have killed a boatload of deer, and coyotes, as well as a wolf of two, and an antelope. The bullets are very accurate, and generally kill really quickly due to the fact that all of the energy is transferred inside of the animal, as the bullet fragments in a large wound chanel. The downside for some is that a lot of times because of this, there is no exit hole. This may vary with the size of game, and the size of bullet used. Shoot a Texas whitetail doe with a 180 grain berger, and you may have an exit the size of a soccer ball. On an elk, probably not. Berger also cause a lot of tissue damage in their expansion. This helps in quick klls, but many hunters don't like all the blood shot and mess. Hope that helps.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My experience is limited to the 140 grain 6.5 hunting berger, plus some of the 1st generation .30 cal bullets, but they're too soft for me. Hit an antelope, deer or elk tight behind the shoulder and you're good to go.
Hit an elk on the shoulder and you're in for a rodeo. BTDT, 6-7 times now.

I've switched to harder bullets.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check Here

Been several threads on the 'fire, this is one.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've had super success and performance from Berger's in the past 5 years and I've gone to using them exclusively from javelina to elk. I generally run them heavy for caliber with MV's no more than 2900 (other than my dedicated long range deer rifle).

Super duper accuracy, great BC, great animal reaction, minimal to no tracking, and I usually get exits or partial jacket exits too, even on elk. I'm a fan.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
105 vld hunting work on white tails

140g vld hunting in 7/08 killed a monster buck, shot by my neice at 340 yards

168g Classic Hunting, 168g vld hunting, and 180g vld hunting all work well in 7 mags

We have not had any failures.

We are also very happy with the 7mm Nosler 175g LRAB in the 7 mag with R#22 and R#26, unbelievable penetration with great amount of shock.

Last edited by keith; 07/06/20.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW
I've had super success and performance from Berger's in the past 5 years and I've gone to using them exclusively from javelina to elk. I generally run them heavy for caliber with MV's no more than 2900 (other than my dedicated long range deer rifle).

Super duper accuracy, great BC, great animal reaction, minimal to no tracking, and I usually get exits or partial jacket exits too, even on elk. I'm a fan.

I think I was starting the 140 berger out of my 6.5X284 at about 2880 FPS....and I was still getting major blow ups when I hit elk shoulders at normal ranges.
Deer, black bear and antelope: no problem. They worked great with any shot placement, bone or no bone. Out of about 10-12 or so deer sized critters, I never got an exit but they killed just fine.

Then one day I took this last day raghorn right at 600 yards. I have no idea what the impact velocity was (I guess could look it up), but it was obviously slow enough that it held together and exited on that left side. I do not remember if I hit any ribs or not.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I later had two rodeos with cow elk hit on the shoulder or scapula with this same lot of bullets out of the same rifle, both at less than 200 yards. I tracked one through knee deep snow to a private fenceline and lost her. The other bedded in the timber and I put another round into her head. When I cut her up the scapula had a rock chip looking spiderweb crack to it, from where the bullet hit, but didn't penetrate. Two other rag bulls were killed without drama with the same lot of bullets but without shoulders being hit. Different lots of bergers at roughly the same impact velocity have produced similar results for me.

For me, bergers (the 140 hunting at least) just are not versatile or reliable enough for all ranges and all shot angles that I have had on elk, I guess. I'm glad you and others have had more reliable success with them than I. I've switched to harder bullets for elk.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't buy them ever. I have seen about 3 Dz kills by other hunters using them and for about 12 of those I was standing next to the shooter.
NOT impressed!

I think T Inman is right about exits. Sure they kill. Any high powered rifle will kill. But any running car will carry cement blocks too. It doesn't mean all cars carry block as well as every other car. A fragmenting bullet in the right place is deadly and if someone kills well with them and likes them, that's OK with me . But they are too frangible to make me happy.

Others disagree, but for my use I don't buy them, and would not take them if they were given to me if I was told I had to hunt with them as part of the deal.

For those that like them, I don't have a dog in their fight. Have at them if you like them.
Generally speaking they are accurate. That I will give them

Last edited by szihn; 07/06/20.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I think Berger threads have been thoroughly run through here on the fire. I'm sure you could find some of those threads if you do the right search. I've had a lot of good experiences with them out of 243, which are 105's, and 30-06 and 300 SAUM, with the 185 and 190gr VLD's. Some claim they are too frangible, but have never seen one of the 30 cals not exit, on both elk and deer, from 30yds to about 550yds, on broadside and somewhat quartering shots. The 243's are a bit light for elk, and they don't have much pop left in them after getting through a front shoulder. They do the job otherwise. They put big holes through deer.

I've found that the Hornady BTHP do exactly the same thing, are just as accurate for me, and are cheaper. Heavy for caliber is key. I still like Bergers in 30 cal, though I haven't used them for a few years.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

+1! I’ve had excellent results from Berger’s and will be using them on my NM elk hunt this year for sure. 195s from a 28Nosler shooting 1/2MOA.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mibowhunter
Yes
Great
WT deer
.172 (17-204)

Yes
Great
WT deer
.243 (6x47L)

I hope you had two tags!😁

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reba

How did it perform?
What animal was it?
Any other thoughts?
l

Have not and will not. There are simply too many reports of what, to me, is unacceptable performance – including those from T_Inman and szihn in this thread.

While other bullets may not have B.C. values equal to the Berger bullets, I haven’t found the difference to be a problem inside 600 yards. What I have found is other bullets that perform well at a wide variety of impact velocities. By “well” I mean providing reliable but controlled and limited expansion and high weight retention. We’ve been using Barnes MRX, TTSX and LRX bullets since they were introduced and no one in my hunt group has recovered one. Straight-down DRT results are common, running right around 50% with no animals going more than a few yards. Nosler AB have provided similar performance with no recoveries from antelope to elk. I’ve recovered a couple of North Fork SS bullets from elk but both smashed a lot of bone before coming to a stop. They are no longer available but the Federal Trophy Bonded Tip, Edge TLR and Terminal Ascent have similar construction (mono rear with bonded front core) with the addition of a polymer tip. I plan to use the Terminal Ascent for elk this fall.

The only cup-and-core bullets I use in my bolt rifles are the 90g BT and 95g SST in my .243 Win – and only for antelope. Can’t complain so far but antelope don’t provide much of a challenge to a bullet’s integrity.

In my 38 years of elk hunting I’ve had shot opportunities as close as 25 feet with my longest shot at 487 yards. My first elk was taken with a bullet (7mm RM/162g BTSP) chosen for its relatively high B.C. value. That turned out to be a rather poor choice. Weight retention was under 50% and the only bone hit was a near-side rib. The following year I switched to a lower B.C. Speer 160g Grand Slam and it took me twenty years to recover one. That one destroyed both shoulder joints of a 6x6 bull and still retained over 70% of its original weight. Over the years I’ve taken more elk with that combo than all other bullets combined – including my last elk, a 6x5 bull at 411 yards, 4 steps and down.

It is a truism that most bullets will work most of the time. It is also true that it sucks when they don’t. Pay attention to T_Inman and szihn and others with similar results when making your choice of bullet.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 07/07/20. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've got some 7mm 168 grain Berger hunting bullets a guy gave me. I've only shot a few out of the box and they seem very accurate no more of them that I've shot. I might try them on deer but if I ever have occasion to go elk hunting I'll use my .270 Win. with 150 grain Nosler Partition. Not that I'm an elk expert, never been elk hunting, but from what I've read on here (and I've read it so many times that I believe it) there's two great elk bullets, Barnes TSX ( also TTSX) and Nosler Partition. I like the concept of Nosler Partition.

Last edited by Filaman; 07/07/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Been using them in my 28 Nosler since I had it built. Coues deer and elk mainly. From 280 yards to 700. Everything has been excellent.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Many years ago I had major disappointments with a bullet “supposedly” designed for large and potentially dangerous game....I’ll be damn if I use a bullet that is designed to give rapid expansion, with fragmentation offering minimal penetration. I don’t care how high the BC or how accurate it is reputed to be! Any questions? memtb

Last edited by memtb; 07/07/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
No, I have not tried them and likely won’t.

Comments online notwithstanding, their own design description doesn’t meet my criteria for mule deer and elk hunting bullets. I prefer the penetration and controlled expansion of Barnes and Trophy Bonded bullets. I normally don’t shoot much past 300 yards so the high BC is relatively unimportant. Get closer, don’t miss.... Bring enough gun. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Reba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks.

Yep, I find them very accurate.

However I'll stick with the Barnes, which are accurate at the correct seating depth.

I have had bullet failures never again.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thanks.

However I'll stick with the Barnes, which are accurate at the correct seating depth.

I love Barnes. However, I have either witnessed, or done it myself, critters that would *likely* have not been killed/recovered if shot with Barnes instead of Bergers.

Also, protip, don't aim for shoulders on an elk when using Bergers.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Out of a 308 Win. the 168 VLD has been great on deer and hogs.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80

I'm not an elk hunter, but that seems reasonable to me. Horses for courses and all.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have used them on the following animals.

7/08AI- 140 Hunting. Mule Deer Buck at 210 yards. No Exit DRT.
7/08AI- 140 Hunting Black Tail Buck 490 yards- No Exit DRT
7mm- 168 Hunting- Black tail Buck 190 yards. no Exit DRT.
28 Nosler- 180 Hunting- Black Buck 200 yards. No Exit DRT
28 Nosler- 180 Hunting- White Tail doe- 100 yards- No Exit DRT.

This is only a small sample but I have enjoyed the results.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Yes
Great
WT deer
.172 (17-204)

Yes
Great
WT deer
.243 (6x47L)

I hope you had two tags!😁

More like 7 ! whistle............ laugh

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not for me thank you. I will stick to my Accubonds and Long Range accubonds thanks.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by WAM
No, I have not tried them and likely won’t.

Comments online notwithstanding, their own design description doesn’t meet my criteria for mule deer and elk hunting bullets. I prefer the penetration and controlled expansion of Barnes and Trophy Bonded bullets. I normally don’t shoot much past 300 yards so the high BC is relatively unimportant. Get closer, don’t miss.... Bring enough gun. Happy Trails

You pegged it for me. I might be tempted to shoot a bit farther than 300 yards but not much. When wind gets iffy my distance ceases to get longer. I really suspect a lot of people that talk this [bleep] have no conception of what even 300 yards looks like, much less 400. That's a long way out there and a little wind will go a long way in misdirecting your bullet. I shot a hog at a little over 300 yards once and let me tell you, I was amazed I killed it. He only ran about 20 yards. But if he'd been another 100 yards out It would have been a real challenge. I have no problems shooting at hogs at long range, they're not game animals, they're pests. But if it's a deer or other game animal, the conditions would have to be very good for me to chance a shot. And much over 400 and I would pass.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I know the 6.5 140’s dig really good started off at 3000 FPS. Muleys, blacktails, whitetail, bear and elk.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by T_Inman
My experience is limited to the 140 grain 6.5 hunting berger, plus some of the 1st generation .30 cal bullets, but they're too soft for me. Hit an antelope, deer or elk tight behind the shoulder and you're good to go.

My experience mirrors the above, shot a large pig in her shoulder. She got up, went back to eating corn. She was trapped in a large round pen. They were very accurate

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Thanks.

I love Barnes. However, I have either witnessed, or done it myself, critters that would *likely* have not been killed/recovered if shot with Barnes instead of Bergers.

Pro tip. Use a better bullet and shoot and kill elk at all angles.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
My philosophy since 1993! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have the 156 EOL on order to try in my 6.5's. Should work in the 26 Nosler, 6.5-284, even the 6.5x55. Some shoot them in the Creed, but I think they'd be moving pretty slow.

My 6.5-284 has a 26" Kreiger and is very accurate. I'm thinking RL-26 and hoping for 2,800 or so fps. I'll use 869 in the Nosler, should reach 3K fps.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't like the amount of lead that can get in the meat from Bergers. Other bullets if all the blood shot meat is trimmed it is usually fine, with Bergers even some meat that washed up fine still had lead fragments in it. They do kill fast but now there are so many other choices for higher BC bullets like the ELDs and LRAB I go for a more controlled expanding bullet when available. But most of the game I take is at relatively close range, typically 300 yds. or less. If all my shots were at extended ranges then I would re-consider the Berger.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Quote: “If all my shots were at extended ranges then I would re-consider the Berger.”

The key word being “all”! memtb

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I reckon, like most expansive type bullets, depends on how fast you're driving them.

That's why I'm trying the 156 EOL in some of my 6.5 rifles. Heavier, slower Berger Hunting bullet may be OK. I've killed deer with 140 VLDH out of the 6.5-284. DRT, but they do frag, have seen multiple exit holes from frag pieces.

For chest shooting WT's they should work OK. I try to stay out of the shoulders to preserve meat.

Like Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Parridge was too hot, was too cold, but one was "just right". Finding the "just right" bullet is an art. Gotta find the combo that works.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by memtb

Quote: “If all my shots were at extended ranges then I would re-consider the Berger.”

Yeah, kinda like the "Sierra Stalk" Find the elk and start running away until you get to the range where they will not blow up. Then shoot!

μολὼν λαβέ

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I have the 156 EOL on order to try in my 6.5's.

DF

I suspect you'll like them and then blow minds of folks when you get exits.

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Fotis

Yeah, kinda like the "Sierra Stalk" Find the elk and start running away until you get to the range where they will not blow up. Then shoot!

If you guys would learn holdovers or learn to dial and realize you don't need to shoot big Weatherby type cartridges at things real fast, you'd be real surprised how bullets behave, like Berger's, BTs, Hornady HPBT, amidst many others. There's something to mid range MV and higher BC's I assure you. That should get the anti-Berger/anti-Creedmore crowd riled up.

But then you may not be able to buddy brag about your big guns any longer...grin...

- Greg

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Those that can use real rifles do, those that can't use target guns...

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Those that can use real rifles do, those that can't use target guns...

Don't be silly....

- Greg

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

If you guys would learn holdovers or learn to dial and realize you don't need to shoot big Weatherby type cartridges at things real fast, you'd be real surprised how bullets behave, like Berger's, BTs, Hornady HPBT, amidst many others. There's something to mid range MV and higher BC's I assure you. That should get the anti-Berger/anti-Creedmore crowd riled up.

But then you may not be able to buddy brag about your big guns any longer...grin...

Or you can use Long range accubonds or Barnes LRX and not have to worry about your ultra hyper speeds. This is another way to look at it. I have worked up loads with Bergers before but they never produced any groups I could not reproduce with LRX or accubonds or cutting edge for that matter. Life is too short and rifles are way too many to worry about the performance of a Berger or any sub-par bullet (in my eyes).
On the other hand yes I have taken antelope with my 416 Bee at over 450 yards with the 330 GS Custom HV. For me that is fun. Not for everyone mind you, but I find it personally rewarding.

μολὼν λαβέ

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Life is too short and rifles are way too many to worry about the performance of a Berger

Oh I don't worry I assure you as I actually use them as they were intended unlike most who are opining about them, par for today's 24HC experience.

Many ways to skin cats these days though most are stuck...

The LRX is a good compromise bullet yes., The LRABs I've seen were way soft....

- Greg

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 Greg!!
I’m a big Berger fan and their performance on game has been outstanding for me. I don’t purposely shoot shoulders as I prefer to destroy vitals which the Berger’s do a great job of.
I have started pin drilling the tips also.
For mono bullets the Hammer bullets are a great choice and what I use.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Outstanding sir! The hammers are.......Hammers! grin

Now if Berger made a 400 gr 375 bullet I would be all over that for steel in my 375 BAS. We keep waiting but nada.

μολὼν λαβέ

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
7 mm 168 vld
4 antelope 15 to 453 yards
10 deer out 50 to 435 yards all went less than 50 yards after being shot.
I have never had a problem with them

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One question: Why? So many alternatives with excellent track records. Flame away.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PA_Bob
One question: Why? So many alternatives with excellent track records. Flame away.

One question: Why not? Every bullet design can have failures. I’ve personally had a few “premium” bullets do strange things. I like the performance of Berger’s on game and their accuracy in my rifles.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
In the applications I've put them to the Berger's have an excellent track record, deer and pigs falling down right now style.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Why try any bullet at all, Bob? They make factory loaded ammo with Core-Lokts and Powerpoints. Why not just shoot that stuff? It kills just fine. If you can hit with it. If there is no wind. If you are no more than a couple hundred yards away. If you shoot it in the ribs. And so it goes, Bob.

I started shooting Bergers because they were the first bullet that advertised high-BC. They turned my "300 yd" 30-06 into an actual 700 yd hunting rifle, and for BIG animals. Then I learned that 700 might as well be 1500 in a variable crosswind, and most of my scoped rifle shots (when I hunt open country and big burns and canyons) are in the 350-500 range, and even a 30-06 isn't needed to kill BIG animals at those ranges. There are other options now, but they don't necessarily work "better" than the Bergers for me. As I stated above, I've never had a 30 cal 185 or 190 NOT exit. So they are accurate, carry their energy extremely well, buck the wind, fly flat, transfer their energy extremely well, and exit every time, at both extremely short and fairly long range. This is just my experience, but it covers lots of seasons, lots of animals, lots of situations, and lots of success.

The real question is: Why would you try anything else? I know the answer. It is all over this thread. It is IGNORANCE.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've never had a 30 cal 185 or 190 NOT exit. So they are accurate, carry their energy extremely well, buck the wind, fly flat, transfer their energy extremely well, and exit every time, at both extremely short and fairly long range.

You are gonna blow Field and Stream reading, corn feeding minds with this kinda stuff....

- Greg

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've never had a 30 cal 185 or 190 NOT exit. So they are accurate, carry their energy extremely well, buck the wind, fly flat, transfer their energy extremely well, and exit every time, at both extremely short and fairly long range.

You are gonna blow Field and Stream reading, corn feeding minds with this kinda stuff....

I have been told over and over again that they "blow up", and that they "never exit". I have never caught one. I did hit a deer behind the ribs and drove it up through the chest to exit inside the opposite shoulder. It clipped the very front of the shoulder. That was from 30 yds, and that one exited too. What am I doing wrong? Not enough ass shooting?

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

I have been told over and over again that they "blow up", and that they "never exit". I have never caught one. I did hit a deer behind the ribs and drove it up through the chest to exit inside the opposite shoulder. It clipped the very front of the shoulder. That was from 30 yds, and that one exited too. What am I doing wrong? Not enough ass shooting?

But but but the internet says they blow up and are no good!😁😁😁
I can’t remember ever not having an exit either. Even at long ranges but I tend to shoot the heaviest bullet I can for the caliber/twist.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The real question is: Why would you try anything else? I know the answer. It is all over this thread. It is IGNORANCE.

Easy there killer laugh
Just because one's taste differs from yours they are ignorant?

Brilliant deduction.

μολὼν λαβέ

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Easy there killer laugh
Just because one's taste differs from yours they are ignorant?

Brilliant deduction.

I did not deduce what you claim. I don't think you know what that word means, or how deduction works. I asked a question, and I provided the answer. You dragged my "taste" into it.

Brilliant retardation, there, Chief. Keep shooting a 30-378 with Barnes at elk in the valley, and schitting all over what you have never done, and can't imagine.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I sir, did not poop over anything on this thread. Look at my posts. I clearly said They are NOT for ME. I used them...I did not really like them.
And yes my Bee's all shout well under MOA and they bleed game just like your Bergers do, but with LRX's Partitions, Accubonds etc.
I'm happy with my choice, you're happy with yours. Why does the aforementioned statement make me ignorant?
Cool your jets man we're just talking.

μολὼν λαβέ

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

No corn feeder or 90 grains of powder to kill a deer?

- Greg

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you are referring to me Greg:
1. No Feeders in Wyoming
2. 110 grains of powder. laugh laugh But not always. My last one was 56 gr of H335 in my 444 Marlin.

μολὼν λαβέ

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If you are referring to me Greg:
1. No Feeders in Wyoming
2. 110 grains of powder. laugh laugh

You're a good sport Fotis ...grin...

I know no feeders in Wyoming.

- Greg

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

How did it perform?
What animal was it?
Any other thoughts?
l

Have not and will not. There are simply too many reports of what, to me, is unacceptable performance – including those from T_Inman and szihn in this thread.

While other bullets may not have B.C. values equal to the Berger bullets, I haven’t found the difference to be a problem inside 600 yards. What I have found is other bullets that perform well at a wide variety of impact velocities. By “well” I mean providing reliable but controlled and limited expansion and high weight retention. We’ve been using Barnes MRX, TTSX and LRX bullets since they were introduced and no one in my hunt group has recovered one. Straight-down DRT results are common, running right around 50% with no animals going more than a few yards. Nosler AB have provided similar performance with no recoveries from antelope to elk. I’ve recovered a couple of North Fork SS bullets from elk but both smashed a lot of bone before coming to a stop. They are no longer available but the Federal Trophy Bonded Tip, Edge TLR and Terminal Ascent have similar construction (mono rear with bonded front core) with the addition of a polymer tip. I plan to use the Terminal Ascent for elk this fall.

The only cup-and-core bullets I use in my bolt rifles are the 90g BT and 95g SST in my .243 Win – and only for antelope. Can’t complain so far but antelope don’t provide much of a challenge to a bullet’s integrity.

In my 38 years of elk hunting I’ve had shot opportunities as close as 25 feet with my longest shot at 487 yards. My first elk was taken with a bullet (7mm RM/162g BTSP) chosen for its relatively high B.C. value. That turned out to be a rather poor choice. Weight retention was under 50% and the only bone hit was a near-side rib. The following year I switched to a lower B.C. Speer 160g Grand Slam and it took me twenty years to recover one. That one destroyed both shoulder joints of a 6x6 bull and still retained over 70% of its original weight. Over the years I’ve taken more elk with that combo than all other bullets combined – including my last elk, a 6x5 bull at 411 yards, 4 steps and down.

It is a truism that most bullets will work most of the time. It is also true that it sucks when they don’t. Pay attention to T_Inman and szihn and others with similar results when making your choice of bullet.

Good post!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I sir, did not poop over anything on this thread. Look at my posts. I clearly said They are NOT for ME. I used them...I did not really like them.
And yes my Bee's all shout well under MOA and they bleed game just like your Bergers do, but with LRX's Partitions, Accubonds etc.
I'm happy with my choice, you're happy with yours. Why does the aforementioned statement make me ignorant?
Cool your jets man we're just talking.

Details. How many animals have you shot with Berger bullets? Calibers? Ranges? I want to know how non-ignorant you are. If you tried them and didn't like them, I would like to know why.

It's all a value judgement. I don't care what bullets or guns or whatever you use. But I am keen to notice that that for many, this discussion becomes and ethical judgment, even though they have almost never tried the thing that they are condemning as ineffective or unethical. If you aren't one of those, good.

I do wonder why, though, that there are so many who have never done a thing, but want to get on a thread talking about that thing so they can condemn that thing.

I haven't used Bergers for about 4 years, I think. Lots of bullets that I have wanted to test, have been introduced recently, including other "target" bullets and other "hunting" bullets. What I have found is that they all work, if you understand their limitations. Some have more limitations than others. And that includes the vaunted and venerable "controlled-expansion premiums."

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 07/10/20.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I will not go a by of all those internet reports of them blowing up and not penetrating yada yada yada. Maybe it's a fact maybe it's not I was not there to see it. I will tell you what I know from personal or personally witnessed experience.

Honestly I personally have used them 2 times. Both on antelope one at 277 yards 140 vld from my 264 Win Mag and one at 349 from my 300 rum. That was at 215 vld. Both did OK but way too much bullet destruction. Meaning hardly any bullet was left only shrapnel. Another one I saw was a 168 vld from a 7mm rum hit a big mule deer buck in the shoulder at 360 yards and failed to penetrate into the vitals.

Now. Did I get my antelope? Absolutely. Did my friend get his mulie? Absolutely, after another shot where it did work as promised. Would I use a berger on elk? No I would not. Now that said I digress to what I said before. Way too many guns for me for multiple loads. 95 percent of my guns use the ttsx or lrx. I try to keep my components as few as possible I get great accuracy and I can shoot mice to moose. Nosler accubond and partitions work quite nicely as well.
Again I never said they are crap. I said they are not for me.

μολὼν λαβέ

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This topic has blown through several feet of posts, expanded, and not exited yet ...

180g VLD whistles a merry tune out of a 7 WSM, and critters from 110 to 617 yards did so hate it. My bullet of choice for long range work.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
This topic has blown through several feet of posts, expanded, and not exited yet ...

180g VLD whistles a merry tune out of a 7 WSM, and critters from 110 to 617 yards did so hate it. My bullet of choice for long range work.

But you're not a real hunter or using a real gun I suspect. I read it on this very thread.

- Greg

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I think my man GregW has hit the nail on the head, yet again. I trust his word because he is a killing machine in those mountains, and he does so modestly. Most here don't know the high quality animals he kills and guides others to. My hat's off to the guy. If he told me I could go to the bank with a 140 VLD something, then that would be all I need to know.

Now, I experiment a lot, an awful lot culling medium sized game, and/or hogs. I can tell you what a guy DOES NOT want to do very often........and that is run a 168gr VLDH at 3050 and shoot a modest sized whietail at 100 yds.........notice impact was BEHIND the shoulder.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh I know uncle Johnny, I got to sleep in his game room, thank god I was drunk, thought I was gonna get fuucked by big muley and coues bucks!!! I passed out though. 😂😂😂

Last edited by Judman; 07/10/20.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bwahahahaaaahahaaaa!!!!!!!!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
🤣🤣🤣

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I could hear Javelinas squealing all kinds a shiit!!! Haha

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I think my man GregW has hit the nail on the head, yet again. I trust his word because he is a killing machine in those mountains, and he does so modestly. Most here don't know the high quality animals he kills and guides others to. My hat's off to the guy. If he told me I could go to the bank with a 140 VLD something, then that would be all I need to know.

Now, I experiment a lot, an awful lot culling medium sized game, and/or hogs. I can tell you what a guy DOES NOT want to do very often........and that is run a 168gr VLDH at 3050 and shoot a modest sized whietail at 100 yds.........notice impact was BEHIND the shoulder.

Very lethal, and essential for those that just want to kill, but not eat the animal they have shot! memtb

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Another option is the Scenar, more of the same but a slightly heavier jacket. I think people like me who like the hot rod cartridges and shoot at modest ranges don't appreciate them. Folks who run medium cartridges and medium velocities at longer ranges seem to be the ones who like them the most.

Question for those that use Bergers. Will switching to the target version reduce the fragmentation much due to heavier jackets on the target models?

Last edited by Tejano; 07/10/20.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They work for me on deer, elk, antelope, bears... everything from Texas heart shots to bull elk shoulders.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by starsky
They work for me on deer, elk, antelope, bears... everything from Texas heart shots to bull elk shoulders.

Yep

Ain’t easy havin pals.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tejano
Another option is the Scenar, more of the same but a slightly heavier jacket. I think people like me who like the hot rod cartridges and shoot at modest ranges don't appreciate them. Folks who run medium cartridges and medium velocities at longer ranges seem to be the ones who like them the most.

Question for those that use Bergers. Will switching to the target version reduce the fragmentation much due to heavier jackets on the target models?

I use the Target Hybrids in a few rifle and so do a few buddies. They work very well. They may be a little tougher than the Hunting VLD but they still work like a Berger That’s for sure.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Judman
Oh I know uncle Johnny, I got to sleep in his game room, thank god I was drunk, thought I was gonna get fuucked by big muley and coues bucks!!! I passed out though. 😂😂😂

Jud, have no fear. As long as you wear synthetic socks, NOTHING is getting around you at night. Gag a maggot.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Clint, I was wondering why you were massaging my feet every night.. 😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Tejano

I don't think there is much difference in the jacket. The hybrid is less sensitive to seating depth than the regular bergers, and thus easier to get shooting accurately. You don't have to piddle with them much for them to shoot well. As to the scenars, they are a great bullet. My boy shoots them in an old rem. 700 that I got from Pat. ( scenar shooter). He and I have killed a couple big muledeer, the biggest was a 202" buck with a huge body, close to that of a spike bull, as well as a big bull elk, and several wolves. We had had exits on all of them, with one buck being killed at just over 400 yds. I think the Scenar are definitely harder than the bergers.I have not had them fragment like the bergers, and not as much tissue damage. I am not sure if the scenar implodes on itself like the Berger does, or if it opens like a more traditional hollow point. They are a great bullet though.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Berger bullets ? i really like using Berger bullets for target shooting off the bench and in competition,many others people i shoot with like Berger bullets for target too. i have no experience with these Berger bullets for hunting, i still have plenty Nosler partitions and Swift A-Frame bullets which work just fine for me,for deer or antelope i am sure Berger bullets would work just fine .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Bergers are good game bullets, have been shown to perform.

They do tend to be a big expansive, especially when pushed fast. I've seen lots of fragmentation, even multiple exit wounds, chest turned to soup. Someone mentioned that the Scenar with an equally thin jacket, didn't break up as bad. I think Scenars may have a harder lead core. Although I did blow up a WT chest with a 90 gr. Scenar out of a .240 Wby at 3,350 fps. Never again. So, the bullet has to be matched to the velocity for optimal terminal performance.
When I started working up loads for my then new 26 Nosler, I noticed Berger data for the 140 VLDH was topping out at 3,200 fps. I called a tech, told him I could push their 140's WAY faster than that. He said they didn't recommend shooting that bullet faster than 3,200 fps, said to use the target version which has a heavier jacket. I swapped to mono's for that gun. 120 TTSX and or E-Tip at 3,450 to 3,500 fps do mess up meat, and are accurate.

I'm now gonna try the Berger 156 EOL at around 3K fps in the 26 Nos. Going heavier and slower should make a difference. BTW, I got load data for the 156 EOL from a Berger tech last week. They won't publish it, but will give it out over the phone. I got data for the Creed, Swede, 6.5-284 and 26 Nosler. I wrote it down, plan to take it to the office tomorrow, get the girls to scan it.

I haven't used the 6.5-284 or 26 Nos lately, have been off chasing other projects. BTW, the 156 EOL data for the Creed is a good bit faster than the Swede. I may start Creed data in the Swede (mine is an FN action with Shilen barrel), should be as strong as the 700 and should be able to run at modern pressures. That one could be interesting.

The 156 EOL may change the game for me on Berger hunting bullets. It should be a great LR load. Check out the B.C. on that one...

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Guess that's why they make Ford and Chevy trucks...

And, then there's Dodge... blush

Not saying how I relate certain bullets to certain truck brands... grin

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lost most of the front end of a doe I shot with a 6x47 lapua at about 60 yards. Was using 105 hybrids. She died very quickly but the meat loss was unacceptable. My experience, limited but it confirmed my fears of using it to hunt. Especially where I hunt in the East for white tails .5 moa isn’t really advantageous to just plain old sub moa.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
mitchellmountain,

Out of curiosity, where did you shoot the doe?

I've actually gotten less meat destruction with Bergers than conventional bullets--especially if I shoot game behind the shoulder. Unlike most expanding bullets, they don't started to expand until they penetrate 2-3". Then they really expand, the reason they kill quickly.

Most expanding bullets start to expand as soon as they hit skin, the reason most meat damage occurs around the entrance hole. But with Bergers you often have to part the hair to find the tiny entrance hole. Or at least that has been my experience with dozens of them on game up to elk-size.

I even once tried to get one to "explode" on the shoulder of a 200-pound feral goat I'd just dropped with a lung shot, by standing 8-10 feet away and shooting the big joint. That bullet also didn't started to expand until it went through the joint, but it was a 185-grain .30 started at about 2750 from a .30-06. A lighter bullet at 3000+ might have come apart on the shoulder, but I dunno.

But guess I am also puzzled why anybody would choose a Berger for "woods" shots.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Lost most of the front end of a doe I shot with a 6x47 lapua at about 60 yards. Was using 105 hybrids. She died very quickly but the meat loss was unacceptable. My experience, limited but it confirmed my fears of using it to hunt. Especially where I hunt in the East for white tails .5 moa isn’t really advantageous to just plain old sub moa.

MM

If I was hunting eastern whitetail, I think I would stick to nosler bt, corelokts, or something similar, and call it good. Not really where Bergers are going to shine, although they would work.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve never tried them and from what I’ve read I likely never will, at least not on deer sized game and larger. There’s simply far too many GREAT bullets out there to choose from that I have no reason to use a marginal bullet. I like to find a bullet that is designed for what I plan to hunt with that particular rifle and load. I then shoot it for accuracy on paper and do simpleton wet phone book tests at 50 and 100 yards. I then use that load on big game and note it’s performance. I have yet to find a premium hunting bullet that failed that final and ultimate test. If I’ve done my due diligence and limit my expectations of a bullets performance to the parameters it was designed for I’m always satisfied with my choice. I shoot almost exclusively TSX/TTSX and I’ve NEVER had to track an animal. I’ve dropped deer at 20 feet and elk at 537 yards and the bullets I used worked perfectly, just AS DESIGNED! For coyotes and small game I use whatever is accurate and don’t sweat the details. I spend a lot of time up north and in areas that have big predators so my bullet choice takes that variable into account.....namely, ACCURATE.....since if needed during a charge I’m more worried about placement than penetration because whatever bullet I’ve chosen to hunt big game with I already know that it’s up to the task. My primary hunting rifles and my son’s hunting rifle is .308 shooting usually using 150 TTSX and sometimes the 168 TSX. My .338 I use the old 225gr Trophy Bonded Bearclaw but that rifle likes everything except the Partition. It loved the old X bullet and it loves the new TSX/TTSX’s as well. Our daughter shoots a .243 using the 80gr TTSX

I’ll be sending a pre-64 (1954 iirc) in 30-06 to JES for a rebore to 35 Whelen and cut to 20” so I’ll be looking for a load that is stoutly constructed and packs a punch. I want a lighter weight easy to carry in thick brush and quick to shoulder rifle. Something durable that will be going in and out of boats and exposed to saltwater. I’l probably start (and end) with the 225 TSX. 😁

I’m sure Bergers are great on paper and coyotes but choosing a bullet to do something it wasn’t necessarily designed for is irresponsible.imho. We owe it to the game we hunt to do our best to ensure a quick, clean kill. Even bullets used specifically for the game that they’re intended for can suffer a “failure” since the variables are endless and parameters are exceeded. All of my hunting rifles shoot under 1” at a hundred yards shooting the bullets that they’ll be hunting with, almost exclusively using factory ammunition. With that accuracy available using properly constructed bullets like the TTSX, TSX, Partition, TBBC, A-Frame....etc, etc.....even the old Corelokt is better than using a “Match” bullet.....no matter how much of a bugholer it is.imho

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Why be more concerned with what a bullet was originally designed to do than what it actually does ?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
mitchellmountain,

I've actually gotten less meat destruction with Bergers than conventional bullets--especially if I shoot game behind the shoulder. Unlike most expanding bullets, they don't started to expand until they penetrate 2-3". Then they really expand, the reason they kill quickly.

Most expanding bullets start to expand as soon as they hit skin, the reason most meat damage occurs around the entrance hole. But with Bergers you often have to part the hair to find the tiny entrance hole. Or at least that has been my experience with dozens of them on game up to elk-size.

I even once tried to get one to "explode" on the shoulder of a 200-pound feral goat I'd just dropped with a lung shot, by standing 8-10 feet away and shooting the big joint. That bullet also didn't started to expand until it went through the joint, but it was a 185-grain .30 started at about 2750 from a .30-06. A lighter bullet at 3000+ might have come apart on the shoulder, but I dunno.

But guess I am also puzzled why anybody would choose a Berger for "woods" shots.

You're talking to the crowd John that still judges Nosler BTs from their experience on a coyote in 1982, meaning limited to no use let alone in the proper application......grin...

Kinda like Scenars which dig deep, but look like a target bullet so by definition they must suck and blow up too...

- Greg

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Greg.

All good points!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman
Why be more concerned with what a bullet was originally designed to do than what it actually does ?

Now, that's a quotable...

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

DF

In thinking about this, how many bullets have you guys seen that don't preform as they were designed?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mitchellmountain,

I shot it just back of the shoulder joint, it was going fast and I was close. I chose to use it because that is what the gun shot the best, which was very good. I read some reports that it did well with game, so I tried it. Maybe it was the perfect( and by that I mean perfectly bad) way to show where it’s limitations. Like I said where I hunt deer in the east, extreme accuracy just isn’t necessary and I’ve used other bullets under similar conditions that performed much better as far as loss of meat.

Side note my favorite bullets to use in anything besides my 358 win and 45-70 are Accubonds. Shoot well in my guns and hold together well.

Last edited by mitchellmountain; 07/16/20.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mitchellmountain,

You're talking to the crowd John that still judges Nosler BTs from their experience on a coyote in 1982, meaning limited to no use let alone in the proper application......grin...

Kinda like Scenars which dig deep, but look like a target bullet so by definition they must suck and blow up too...

I’ve shot north of a 100 white tails with many different bullets factory loaded and hand loads. Many different chamberings. In that situation it performed as I stated, since that scenario isn’t all that uncommon in my area of the country while hunting deer, especially for me as I prefer to still hunt, I won’t be using them again. They may work well in other applications, but I feel no need to experiment further with them. That’s the crowd I’m in I guess.

MM

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

DF

In thinking about this, how many bullets have you guys seen that don't preform as they were designed?

I wasn't thinking in that direction. The example I had in mind was the 168 VLD, designed as a target bullet, which doesn't affect the fact that it has been a fine deer bullet for 308 Winchester.

Maybe Nosler didn't think the original Ballistic Tips would expand so easily.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Then I guess you're one of those guys who (for whatever reason) buy into the Campfire mantra of advice of "use whatever bullet shoots best." Which is irrelevant for 99% of big game hunting.

Due to another of these threads, the other day I added up the brands and types of bullets I've personally used on "big game" in various places in North America and around the world. Turned out there were 15 brands, and 40+ types among those brands. Have also been standing next to hunting partners who used a few other brands/types.(Oh, and have also used the .358 Winchester and .45-70 enough with various bullets to know how they work, along with AccuBonds in calibers from 6.5mm to .375, at various velocities.)

ALL of those bullets worked well, as long as the game and range was within their design limitations. Some did not work so well, when used outside their limitations.

However, how "well" they worked also depended on how the hunter felt about ideal cartrdge/bullet performance. Some believe that a certain cartridge or bullet will always "DRT" big game. Have yet to encounter either--unless the bullet broke both "front" shoulders, or hit the central nervous system.

Have also run into a lot of hunters who believe a bullet's retained weight, or whether it exits, or shoots "half inch groups all day long--if I do my part" is the ONLY solution. Have seen plenty of exceptions to those as well.

That said, have yet to see a Berger hunting bullet destroy a lot of meat UNLESS it was put into, or very close to, the shoulder of a big game animal. And have shot (and seen shot) a bunch of big game at under 100 yards with Bergers. This does NOT mean a lot meat damage it isn't possible, of course, but it also doesn't mean that a grumpy hunter who used a great long-range bullet on one animal at 60 yards means much. Sorry.

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
2 of the best elk killers I know highly recommend 168g berger vlds.

Based on the internet outrage, maybe I should give them a go. That damn contrarian in me.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
2 of the best elk killers I know highly recommend 168g berger vlds.

Based on the internet outrage, maybe I should give them a go. That damn contrarian in me.

You'll never do it. You don't have the guts!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Then I guess you're one of those guys who (for whatever reason) buy into the Campfire mantra of advice of "use whatever bullet shoots best." Which is irrelevant for 99% of big game hunting.

Due to another of these threads, the other day I added up the brands and types of bullets I've personally used on "big game" in various places in North America and around the world. Turned out there were 15 brands, and 40+ types among those brands. Have also been standing next to hunting partners who used a few other brands/types.(Oh, and have also used the .358 Winchester and .45-70 enough with various bullets to know how they work, along with AccuBonds in calibers from 6.5mm to .375, at various velocities.)

ALL of those bullets worked well, as long as the game and range was within their design limitations. Some did not work so well, when used outside their limitations.

However, how "well" they worked also depended on how the hunter felt about ideal cartrdge/bullet performance. Some believe that a certain cartridge or bullet will always "DRT" big game. Have yet to encounter either--unless the bullet broke both "front" shoulders, or hit the central nervous system.

Have also run into a lot of hunters who believe a bullet's retained weight, or whether it exits, or shoots "half inch groups all day long--if I do my part" is the ONLY solution. Have seen plenty of exceptions to those as well.

That said, have yet to see a Berger hunting bullet destroy a lot of meat UNLESS it was put into, or very close to, the shoulder of a big game animal. And have shot (and seen shot) a bunch of big game at under 100 yards with Bergers. This does NOT mean a lot meat damage it isn't possible, of course, but it also doesn't mean that a grumpy hunter who used a great long-range bullet on one animal at 60 yards means much. Sorry.

Not sure where you’re going with this. I clearly stated it was my experience and under those conditions In which I used it, it performed thus. I was not making broad sweeping statements about whether the bullet is good or bad. My experience does mean a lot to me because I’ve used many other bullets under similar situations with similar shot placement and had much better results. Good for you that it works, I mean that by the way not in a snide way, I just don’t feel the need to try it again as I’ve had success with other bullets. Nothing grumpy about it.
What does bother me is another posters response implying ignorance/stupidity because of relating my actual experience, limited as it was.

MM

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

DF

JG - I'm of the opinion that chit happens. One experience doesn't sway me including those who have had bad Berger luck used as intended, like my man TInman....

Honestly, I've killed stuff with TSX, TTSX, and even Accubonds. The Barnes is always a poor blood trail if any at all, but they exit, and a giant chase with perfect shots. No more. Others swear by them.

I've shot 3 mule deer with 7mm 140 Accubonds and haven't had an exit with any. It's weird. And wound channels poor. Others swear by them.

I'm not discounting other folks experience who have BTDT.

Chit happens, we all make equipment calls....

What is silly are lots of folks who look at a bullet, or optic, or pant and think it looks like a target bullet and make decisions, or read an article in Field and Stream from a test into newspaper and get on here and say silly stupid stuff that based on the design I'd never use that silly thing. They've never even killed anything with the bullet on question. Some are on this very thread. I just laugh at that stuff....

The point is chit happens and sample size of everything matters. I've settled on VLDs heavy for caliber with MVs no more than 2900....

Fly great, great in wind, mostly exit, and 90 percent of my kills are dead right there up to 850 yards. Many, many hunters who I know and respect who get chit done have exclusively gone to VLDs or Scenars. But it's a target bullet.....grin ..

But chit happens.

- Greg

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
mitchellmountain,

First post: "My experience, limited but it confirmed my fears of using it to hunt. Especially where I hunt in the East for white tails .5 moa isn’t really advantageous to just plain old sub moa."

Second Post: " I was not making broad sweeping statements about whether the bullet is good or bad."

Which is exactly why I asked why the hell you used it in the first place, especially if you had "fears of using it in the first place."

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Honestly, I've killed stuff with TSX, TTSX, and even Accubonds. The Barnes is always a poor blood trail if any at all, but they exit, and a giant chase with perfect shots. No more. Others swear by them.

Ha! I was just discussing how overrated barnes' are with a guy at work today.
I've slowly become a fan of the .224" 62 grain TSX after a rocky start, but that's about it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why did you use any bullet other than the one you first used to kill a deer?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I've slowly become a fan of the .224" 62 grain TSX after a rocky start, but that's about it.

I'm quickly becoming a fan of the 62gr TTSX. It's worked perfectly for the kids, and they shoot it better than bigger guns. I think it's an elk bullet. I've not tried it on elk, but that's just because the elk didn't cooperate. Of course, I feel the same about the 62/64gr Fusion, both pushed to 3100-3150 in a 223.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have never taken anything with a Berger. I have shot a bunch of them into paper, but never have I personally put one into an animal. My brother and I are dipping our toes in it a little this year with the 215 Berger in his 300 Win Mag and I with a 150 Berger in a 270 Winchester. We're hoping with the starting speeds of right around 2900 they act right, cause they are both accurate as heck out of our rifles. Used the 220 Scenars out of a RUM last year and got to see them smack down a couple of deer, that opened my eyes a little bit.

Meat damage isn't a huge thing for us, we don't target front legs mostly and if we do hit one, I haven't seen any bullet that'll let you eat up to the bullet hole, well, maybe the 405's out of a 45-70.

Last edited by beretzs; 07/17/20.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've killed'em with Barnes, Berger, Scenar, Nosler, Horn, Sierra, Cutting Edge Bullets, et. al.; they all died.

To me, you gotta balance bullet design parameters with bullet weight and velocity.

And, stick that bullet where it needs to go.

The variables make it Loony interesting. I guess we're easily entertained... blush

Gives us something to nit pick at the skinning shed and ruminate about after the fact.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've killed'em with Barnes, Berger, Scenar, Nosler, Horn, Sierra, Cutting Edge Bullets, et. al.; they all died.

To me, you gotta balance bullet design parameters with bullet weight and velocity.

And, stick that bullet where it needs to go.

The variables make it Loony interesting. I guess we're easily entertained... blush

Gives us something to nit pick at the skinning shed and ruminate about after the fact.

DF

That’s a good point DF. I know we hear non stop about what works for another person and how it’s perfect when in reality we all expect different things. I think your point about putting the bullet in the mushy organs makes a lot of it just “skinning shed talk” though, like you mentioned.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by beretzs
I have ever taken anything with a Berger. I have shot a bunch of them into paper, but never have I personally put one into an animal. My brother and I are dipping our toes in it a little this year with the 215 Berger in his 300 Win Mag and I with a 150 Berger in a 270 Winchester. We're hoping with the starting speeds of right around 2900 they act right, cause they are both accurate as heck out of our rifles. Used the 220 Scenars out of a RUM last year and got to see them smack down a couple of deer, that opened my eyes a little bit.

Meat damage isn't a huge thing for us, we don't target front legs mostly and if we do hit one, I haven't seen any bullet that'll let you eat up to the bullet hole, well, maybe the 405's out of a 45-70.

Have seen a number of big game animals taken with Hunting VLDs where you had to part the hair to find the entrance hole--which looked like it was poked by a knitting needle.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have ever taken anything with a Berger. I have shot a bunch of them into paper, but never have I personally put one into an animal. My brother and I are dipping our toes in it a little this year with the 215 Berger in his 300 Win Mag and I with a 150 Berger in a 270 Winchester. We're hoping with the starting speeds of right around 2900 they act right, cause they are both accurate as heck out of our rifles. Used the 220 Scenars out of a RUM last year and got to see them smack down a couple of deer, that opened my eyes a little bit.

Have seen a number of big game animals taken with Hunting VLDs where you had to part the hair to find the entrance hole--which looked like it was poked by a knitting needle.

I believe you, doesn't much matter to me as long as it upsets and destroys lungs/heart. From all I have read the 215 Berger is a beast of a bullet, plus, anything 215 grains is going to leave a mark I'd think. The 220 Scenar was about as normal an exit as I've seen from a Partition/Accubond as anything else. Started at 3050 from the RUM I expected more destruction but it just left dead deer in it's wake.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I've seen that numerous times.

They perform as described.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree with you GregW, chittt happens if you whack enough animals. One thing I do know is that the 139 Scenar I used last year performed as good as a bullet can perform, IMO. Looking forward to 2nd chapter with them this year.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never taken anything with a Berger. I have shot a bunch of them into paper, but never have I personally put one into an animal. My brother and I are dipping our toes in it a little this year with the 215 Berger in his 300 Win Mag and I with a 150 Berger in a 270 Winchester. We're hoping with the starting speeds of right around 2900 they act right, cause they are both accurate as heck out of our rifles. Used the 220 Scenars out of a RUM last year and got to see them smack down a couple of deer, that opened my eyes a little bit.

Beretzs

The 150s are a great bullet of choice in the 270. I’m gonna guess you will have great success with them. The 215s are amazing also and I would expect nothing but great success with them also.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I agree with you GregW, chittt happens if you whack enough animals. One thing I do know is that the 139 Scenar I used last year performed as good as a bullet can perform, IMO. Looking forward to 2nd chapter with them this year.

Some mental meandering....

I also agree with GregW. I've seen a lot of weird schitt with various bullets in a lot of contexts, including hunting bullets. I never had an exit on any medium or big game animal I shot through my teens, even with broadside shots. I didn't know they were "required" for decades after that, and I got on the Campfire. I never considered the possibility of an exit having any value until then. I shot things and they died. Sometimes they wandered a ways first, and I had to find them. Sometime later, I did think back and recall that I did see bullets exit in my teens, shot by fellow hunters, and that the animals generally went farther when the bullets exited, as a rule, unless big bones were hit. I was taught not to shoot for big bones.

Eventually I learned that there are many ways to get the job of killing done, and came to admire neck shots for their efficiency when they were available. I still don't like to shoot for shoulders, but it happens. I still notice that unless big bones are hit, bullets that exit generally mean that the animal will go a bit further, but I've never seen that it's relevant, and there are obvious exceptions. All the bullets I've used have killed. A few didn't do as well for me as I had hoped, based upon what I expected. Some have exceeded my expectations. Bergers, and other BTHP "target" bullets have exceeded my expectations, but with the caviat that they aren't propelled faster than 2850 or so, at least on elk. Deer are another story.

Those that I have shot past 3000fps seem to have been a bit more volatile in their performance, and have seemed to be LESS fragile up close than farther out. A .243" 105 at 3050 blew through both shoulders of a buck, as in through both humerus bones, then exited at about 30 yds. It wasn't a good shot. The far shoulder meat was destroyed. The deer looked like it was hit with a wrecking ball. That same bullet barely made it into the rib cage on a cow elk hit square in the shoulder on a quartering shot at exactly 300 yds. The next two exited through the rear lungs broadside, but she was all adrenalined up by then, and a neck shot (that exited) dropped her. I am sure a lot of bullets would have done exactly the same, and some would have done better.

I'd already gotten my cow that year using a much older (and likely softer) SST out of a 270 at 438 yds, which again centered the shoulder and the humerus on a quartering-to shot. She went straight down. There was an exit in the far rear ribs, but not in the hide, and I didn't see the bullet. We had two cows down out of that group, and autopsy wasn't part of the priorities. My brother shot the other cow using ABLR, and he shot his cow in exactly the same spot, but not quartering. That bullet exited the hide.The cow dumped at the shot but got up and stayed on her feet for about 30 yds.

A couple years prior, a cow hit with a 190 Berger at 70 yds behind the shoulder but high just couldn't get to her feet again, though she was alive for longer than I prefer. Not a spine hit. Entrance was a pinpoint. Exit was between a golf ball and a raquetball. Like she got hit with a wrecking ball. Another 190 at 450 or so exited broadside on a barrel-bodied raghorn the previous year. He made it about 25 yds.

Prior to that, a cow at about 150 broadside low right through the heart using a Berger 185 that exited. She didn't react to the shot, and I thought I may have missed. She ran about 50 yds and stopped, so I shot her again in the ribs. Her insides were a mess. My deer that year was steeply quartering from the rear, and the Berger exited (some of it exited, as there was lead and copper fragments in the chest), from close range. I basically brought the gun up and aimed for center mass, as he turned slightly, noticing me as I raised the rifle. He ran, but stayed in view and sort of fell down. I don't recall the distance, and I never noted it. That was the year I feared Bergers were TOO HARD. I think they actually work better the farther they fly.

I used 180 gr Partitions the following year and had predictable results, but nothing different. We had to actually find my elk, as it made a mad dash into thick timber. I hit it in the lungs perfectly, and exited. My deer I shot in the forehead. It was as expected.

If I had enough time, I would relate a dozen other examples of things shot with various bullets that show quite a diversity of behaviors after the hit, if the CNS isn't dismantled, but the lesson I keep taking from all of it again and again is that bullets that don't necessarily exit work better at putting animals down fast if hit in vitals (but not CNS), but that most of them kill just fine across a broad range of circumstances. I still like bullets that seem to transfer their energy through some form of fragmentation the best.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 805

Beretzs

The 150s are a great bullet of choice in the 270. I’m gonna guess you will have great success with them. The 215s are amazing also and I would expect nothing but great success with them also.

Thanks 805, I have heard from a few I trust the 140 and 150 Berger’s work real well.

I’m looking forward to the 215’s on elk and deer.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been using the Berger VLD for quite some time.

Deadliest bullet I have ever used but in fairness I have pretty much stopped shooting any other bullet for big game except for a dozen or so plastic tipped AMAXs and TMKs.

I shoot for elk shoulder blades and don't lose much meat but do get great bullet performance.

I am probably just into 3 digits of elk killed in my presence with the VLDs so there's that.

In particular the 105gr VLD kills elk really well if you get a little scapula on the way in.

If you feel the need for exits so you can track poorly hit game the Berger VLD might not be the best choice, but if you shoot well expect great results.

Good Luck. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't know if it is just a coincidence or what, but I just have not had the same experience as some of you all with bergers and elk shoulders.

Here's typical 6.5mm 140 grain berger performance for me on non-shoulder shot elk. Extra cow at 438 yards away, IIRC. Two shots tight behind the shoulder. She then trotted 20 yards and fell over. Perfectly adequate lethality, but not the exit and instant death performance some of you all seem to have time and time again. They're supposed to expand violently once inside the critter (which these did) but I sure am not seeing exits or instant death like others are. I dug both of these out of the rib meat on the far side, and they were not resting up against the hide like other bullets usually are. I think I have recovered six (6) 140 grain bergers like this now out of lung shot elk, and I can think of four (4) other lung shot elk I shot in which I didn't fish around in the soupy lung cavity to find the expanded berger(s).

Hitting elk on the shoulder with these has produced nothing but misery for me. Not ruined meat mind you, but rodeos in getting another bullet in them. I'm glad others have found elk bullets that they're confident with in the berger, but I've come to different conclusions with regards to their shoulders.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W

Not sure how to say it politely, but both of y’all are full of bovine dung (How’s that?)

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WAM

Not sure how to say it politely, but both of y’all are full of bovine dung (How’s that?)

I gotta agree with Greg. Barnes bullets unless driven at warp speed aren’t worth Dung and then they still aren’t that impressive. Much rather shoot a Hammer bullet for Monos AKA a copper Berger style bullet.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by WAM

I gotta agree with Greg. Barnes bullets unless driven at warp speed aren’t worth Dung and then they still aren’t that impressive. Much rather shoot a Hammer bullet for Monos AKA a copper Berger style bullet.

I was going to ask about them but didn’t wanna derail this too much. I recently grabbed some 181 Hammers for my 300 RUM. Seems like they break apart big time up front while still retaining a shank. Anybody used em. Seems like they’ve had great reports. The 181’s are sleek looking devils and at 3350 they will fly far as I need them too.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Kreedmire, kiss, find pressure butt rock on, start at the start, alpha brass toldjaso blah blah blah!!! 😂😂😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I don't know if it is just a coincidence or what, but I just have not had the same experience as some of you all with bergers and elk shoulders.

Here's typical 6.5mm 140 grain berger performance for me on non-shoulder shot elk. Extra cow at 438 yards away, IIRC. Two shots tight behind the shoulder. She then trotted 20 yards and fell over. Perfectly adequate lethality, but not the exit and instant death performance some of you all seem to have time and time again. They're supposed to expand violently once inside the critter (which these did) but I sure am not seeing exits or instant death like others are. I dug both of these out of the rib meat on the far side, and they were not resting up against the hide like other bullets usually are. I think I have recovered six (6) 140 grain bergers like this now out of lung shot elk, and I can think of four (4) other lung shot elk I shot in which I didn't fish around in the soupy lung cavity to find the expanded berger(s).

Hitting elk on the shoulder with these has produced nothing but misery for me. Not ruined meat mind you, but rodeos in getting another bullet in them. I'm glad others have found elk bullets that they're confident with in the berger, but I've come to different conclusions with regards to their shoulders.

My 260 Rem with 130gr. Bergers had the same effect on mule deer, 97 yards to 419 yards. All deer were recovered but not a cleanly as I would prefer.

That being said, no other bullet produced the accuracy the 130gr Berger did in my 260 Rem.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by WAM

Not sure of exactly what “warp speed” is, but have had extremely good success (dating back to the original X bullet of the early ‘90’s) with TSX’s with a muzzle velocity of 2900 FPS. Mine in particular had low BC’s.....but somehow managed to kill very effectively to 400 yards and a bit beyond! memtb

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Odd that you’ve had issues on shoulders with them.

I don’t see exits very often with scenars or Berger’s either (I actually prefer them to not exit) so we have the same experience there. but I’ve never had to track an animal very far that’s been hit with one. Overall they’re the fastest killing bullets I’ve used.

Many years ago I had one splatter on a shoulder without much penetration but have not seen it since. I did recover that elk and wish I would’ve investigated a little better, I’ve wondered since then if the bullet hit something first or was tumbling slightly on impact, shoulder was mangled on the entrance side. It was a one time deal and I personally don’t worry about it happening again, [bleep] happens.

A friend did have some fail to expands with hybrids on a mountain goat a few years ago, the Goat was recovered but caused some grief with the recovery. I’ve been cleaning out the tips since then with a tiny PCB drill bit to ease my mind, so far so good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Not sure of exactly what “warp speed” is, but have had extremely good success (dating back to the original X bullet of the early ‘90’s) with TSX’s with a muzzle velocity of 2900 FPS. Mine in particular had low BC’s.....but somehow managed to kill very effectively to 400 yards and a bit beyond! memtb

Did not have reliable success with the original 'X' bullet and could never bring myself to use the TSX as a result. The MRX, TTSX and LRX have been 100% reliable on coyotes, antelope, mule deer and elk using .257 Roberts, 6.5CM, 7mm RM, multiple .30-06, .300WM. Not one recovered so far, right around 50% straight down DRT with no animal going more than a few yards. My hunt group has used handloads and factory ammo and we like them. A lot.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
CH,
I never used the original X bullet, but started out with Barnes TSX in my .30-06 because it shot those better than anything else other than old Core-Lokts, both cut tight clover leafs at 100 yards. I only shot a few critters with the TSX and since I have moved on to TTSX in my handloads for deer and elk rifles. All shot with the TSX were DRT and no bullets recovered. I know they expanded well due to internal damage and size of the exit wound. With either bullet I only had one mule deer take off after the shot and he went a ways spewing a blood trail that a blind man could have followed. There may be some better bullets out there but how can you argue with 100% successful performance? Happy Trails

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I could care less if a bullet exits either, as long as it’s chest cavity is full of raspberry gelato...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Judman
I could care less if a bullet exits either, as long as it’s chest cavity is full of raspberry gelato...

That they can do.

Especially if you drive light for caliber Bergers fast.

I'm thinking heavier Bergers, not as fast.

I have 156 EOL's headed my way to try in my Creed, Swede, 6.5-284 and 26 Nos. Those heavy Bergers at 2,700-2,750 or so out of the Creed should be interesting. Berger data shows 2,800, but that looks a bit ambitious to me with Horn max at 2,650 or so. The Nos can push them 3,100, which may not be needed. This Berger data, not yet published, is given out over the phone. They admit it's QL generated, not pressure tested. QL data isn't the gospel, just a ball park. So, I'll not push that envelope.

I've run these loads thru the Hornady Ballistic calculator and with these very high B.C. bullets, the extra velocity doesn't make as much difference as I would have thought. And, I'm a hunter, not a LR target shooter, but is nice to be able to take a long shot when the opportunity presents. And, being prepared is a Loony thing. I can twist the Creed to 500 or so just as easily as the 26 Nos, and burn half the powder. And, we don't have a lot of wind like some areas, so those bullets don't need to be moving at 3,100 fps for what I'm doing.

My current thinking on the subject. As a Loony, current thinking is always subject to change...

It doesn't take a lot to entertain a Loony.... grin

DF

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
One fine day the 24cf will turn on Berger boolits just like Leupold! 😂. HAPPY TRAILS

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by WAM
One fine day the 24cf will turn on Berger boolits just like Leupold! 😂. HAPPY TRAILS

Well, even Leupold still has some fans... grin

DF

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’m still an unapologetic Leupold fan, fragile bullets.....not so much! Years ago, we called them varmint bullets.....today, they’re “hunting” (?) bullets! confused memtb

Last edited by memtb; 07/20/20.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I’m still an unapologetic Leupold fan, fragile bullets.....not so much! Years ago, we called them varmint bullets.....today, they’re “hunting” (?) bullets! confused memtb

What that is there is a prime example of a logical fallacy. It's similar to me asking how a woman like you could ever understand what it means to do things only a man can do.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I chuckle at what sometimes passes for logic around here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What I don't get is why anyone anywhere would get even slightly emotional over bullet choice. I had a less than desirable experience with this bullet when it came to meat damage, very dead deer though. Others have had good luck and are happy with their choice. Great!! Arguing for the sake of arguing has always seemed less than logical to me.

MM

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
What I don't get is why anyone anywhere would get even slightly emotional over bullet choice. I had a less than desirable experience with this bullet when it came to meat damage, very dead deer though. Others have had good luck and are happy with their choice. Great!! Arguing for the sake of arguing has always seemed less than logical to me.

MM

I agree that there is often little point to intellectual debate in reality, and I also agree that you should make the choices in gear that best serve your ends as you see them.

What I have noted every time I have seen one of these "Berger bullets for hunting" threads is a bunch of guys who have never used them and won't show up and talk about how crappy they are. Funny enough, the paradigm nearly always involves Berger vs Barnes. I think that's a false paradigm. I've used Bergers a lot more than Barnes bullets, but in my experience, their performance has been identical at the ranges they have been used. Both put holes through animals' vitals, and both killed quickly and cleanly.

There are several reasons why I don't get on the Barnes bandwagon, and one of those is that for Barnes guys, it's often like a religion. I don't see it like that. They are just bullets. There doesn't need to be a huge belief system with complex and ambiguous ethical guidelines just to pick a bullet to kill things with. THEY ALL WORK.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

A Sierra Game King or a Nosler Ballistic Tip is as frangible a bullet as I want. I'm also a Leupold fan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are great on deer, antelope, and black bear. They are not reliable elk bullets. I have had terrible luck with them reliably penetrating on elk from my 338 LM. I will take a bullet of stout construction for elk everytime.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ranger1
They are great on deer, antelope, and black bear. They are not reliable elk bullets. I have had terrible luck with them reliably penetrating on elk from my 338 LM. I will take a bullet of stout construction for elk everytime.

Bounced off, eh? Figures.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No exit?

No kill?

Bullet?

John Burns

I have all the sources.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Details, details, details....Aren't you demanding?

I always like "did not drop to my satisfaction" example of one.

John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
RangeI is a good source of info.. I haven't tried them on elk.. Maybe this fall.. Ok on deer, fair on antelope..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Details, details, details....Aren't you demanding?

I always like "did not drop to my satisfaction" example of one.

My fav is DRT but bullet didn't look like the ad pictures.

Just need to say I am not baggin on anyone in this thread, just making an observation.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've got nothing of substance to add, so I figure I may as well post a pic of last year's WY mule deer, taken at 378 yards via 140 berger.
Broke the front onside shoulder, destroyed the lungs and he took a 100 yard death run before piling up. I never found a trace of the bullet, and the offside shoulder had zero indication of damage. This pic shows the onside shoulder, and as some others have said, you'd have to part the hair to see the entrance hole. After skinning his shoulder didn't look near this pretty. Please take my word for that.

A week later this rag bull's shoulder stopped another 140 berger from the same rifle at 335 yards. Luckiy he stood still just long enough for me to put one more bullet in him, this time tight behind the shoulder. He then staggered a few yards and fell. That bullet didn't exit either, nor did I find a trace of it.

Take from this what you will.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got nothing of substance to add, so I figure I may as well post a pic of last year's WY mule deer, taken at 378 yards via 140 berger.
Broke the front onside shoulder, destroyed the lungs and he took a 100 yard death run before piling up. I never found a trace of the bullet, and the offside shoulder had zero indication of damage. This is the onside shoulder, and as some others have said, you'd have to part the hair to see the entrance hole. After skinning his shoulder didn't look near this pretty. Please take my word for that.

A week later this rag bull's shoulder stopped another 140 berger from the same rifle at 335 yards. Luckiy he stood still just long enough for me to put one more bullet in him, this time tight behind the shoulder. He then staggered a few yards and fell. That bullet didn't exit either, nor did I find a trace of it.

Take from this what you will.

I pretty much always get an exit on deer from the 140gr VLD launched at 3300fps or the 130gr VLD @ 2750, both 6.5mm.

Ribs on elk always get an exit and it's maybe 50/50 exits on an onside shoulder blade.

I always prefer the terminal results of the Berger that hits some bone on the way in and I purposely target the shoulder.

I think you might have a rough barrel or carbon build up in the throat that is damaging jackets.

This bull took a 130gr VLD straight on (at 80 yds) and the bullet broke his spine far enough back to drop his hind end and keep his front legs solid.

RTD hit him again as he turned and broke both shoulders.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You're making me ponder that possibility more and more.

Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mule Deer, John Burns, et al - I have used the 30 caliber 168 grain VLD, the .338 caliber 300 grain Berger VLD and 285 grain ELD-M on several different elk. Do they kill them? Sure. With that said, they don't penetrate terribly well. I shot a cow with the 300 grain Berger at roughly 350 yards. Hit her in the shoulder and it didn't penetrate to her vitals. I shot a big bull in the spine as it grazed below me with the 168 grain Bergers. Shooting from above onto his spine, it took out a roughly 6" section of the spine and failed to penetrate further. I shot a wounded cow as it ran away, straight up the poop chute with the 285 grain ELD-M at about 200 yards. It penetrated 4-6". There are better bullets out there for elk. I love a bullet that expands violently on deer, antelope, and bear. They just haven't worked as well for me on elk. As always, and as per usual, YMMV.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

ranger1, you have very clearly described what I have been trying to advise others to, long before the Berger “cult” following occurred! When used on large, thick skinned, heavy boned animals......the shot placement must be placed with “near surgical” precision. Until a hunter will pass on many “less than perfect” shots or can guarantee that he can make that shot with “surgical precision”.... these bullets should “not” be used for the above described big game! JMO. memtb

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It is definitely just your opinion...

- Greg

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is definitely just your opinion...

👍🏻👍🏻

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

ranger1, you have very clearly described what I have been trying to advise others to, long before the Berger “cult” following occurred! When used on large, thick skinned, heavy boned animals......the shot placement must be placed with “near surgical” precision. Until a hunter will pass on many “less than perfect” shots or can guarantee that he can make that shot with “surgical precision”.... these bullets should “not” be used for the above described big game! JMO. memtb

You have zero experience, but a strong opinion....do you think that is an intelligent way to interact with the world? Do you think zero experience but a strong opinion is a formula worth sharing? Or have you found some religious tenets and are preaching?

Sigh.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Ah, bull crap. Go shoot something with em and then report back.

Last edited by atse; 08/18/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You do know elk are not "thick skinned", right?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I have seen a schit load of Bergers hit elk shoulders and never ever seen a failure to perform.

I have seen one 105gr 6mm VLD pencil on an elk that went between ribs. Elk was recovered a couple hours later and the location and performance was documented.

Hence my preference to grab some bone on the way in with the 105 VLD but that seems to have been a one off kinda thing.

But your hallucination is duly noted.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Irrefutable facts surely upset you boys.....hit a tender little nerve did I! I qualified my opinion as just that my opinion! However, they’re are hundreds of cases that suggest that I am correct. They are great bullets, when used within their narrow design parameter. Best of luck with your next surgery! wink memtb

Last edited by memtb; 08/18/20.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Irrefutable facts surely upset you boys.....hit a tender little nerve did I! I qualified my opinion as just that my opinion! However, they’re are hundreds of cases that suggest that I am correct. They are great bullets, when used within their narrow design parameter. Best of luck with your next surgery! wink memtb

Get out a bit more old man. If you were worth a [bleep] you'd realize irrefutable is a silly word to use. Things have changed since the 80's.

You need to realize that there is more to hunting than your obviously very limited bubble.

You'll be better for it...

Field and Stream magazine may hate you for it however...

- Greg

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like Berger bullets for target shooting and after all these facts hell i plan on using them this fall hunting whitetail bucks with my son in our 257 W.Mags. i bet they work just fine too 115 grain 25 caliber.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
just got in some of the newish 30 cal 220 Hybrids. Should do well in the PRC. Just got a load for the 230’s after much procrastination, now I’ll start over again. It’s great

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by pete53
I like Berger bullets for target shooting and after all these facts hell i plan on using them this fall hunting whitetail bucks with my son in our 257 W.Mags. i bet they work just fine too 115 grain 25 caliber.

Bold

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Irrefutable facts surely upset you boys.....hit a tender little nerve did I!

I qualified my opinion as just that my opinion!

So are you stating "Irrefutable facts" or just your "opinon"? crazy

They are great bullets, when used within their narrow design parameter.

To be fair the VLD was not designed as a hunting bullet. Bob Davies was, and Walt Berger still is a friend and we have had many bullet design discussions over the years.

The fact that the VLD excels as a hunting bullet is happenstance and not any part of the original design parameters.

Best of luck with your next surgery! wink memtb

Thanks.

I do find those that shoot with surgical precision tend to have much better results than those that throw bullets will nilly about the country side.

Just Sayin. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've killed 3 bull elk and one mule deer with my 7mm RM shooting 168 Berger's HVLD's at 2929 fps (489, 366, 500 and 314 yards). All died fairly quickly, the 489 bull was the only elk that had an exit hole, he also ran the furthest (50 yards). I've killed two bull elk with my 6.5 GAP 4S shooting the 156 Berger at 2850 fps (150 and 250 yards), both DRT. Neither bullet exited. I'm convinced they not only work, they work well!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer, John Burns, et al - I have used the 30 caliber 168 grain VLD, the .338 caliber 300 grain Berger VLD and 285 grain ELD-M on several different elk. Do they kill them? Sure. With that said, they don't penetrate terribly well. I shot a cow with the 300 grain Berger at roughly 350 yards. Hit her in the shoulder and it didn't penetrate to her vitals. I shot a big bull in the spine as it grazed below me with the 168 grain Bergers. Shooting from above onto his spine, it took out a roughly 6" section of the spine and failed to penetrate further. I shot a wounded cow as it ran away, straight up the poop chute with the 285 grain ELD-M at about 200 yards. It penetrated 4-6". There are better bullets out there for elk. I love a bullet that expands violently on deer, antelope, and bear. They just haven't worked as well for me on elk. As always, and as per usual, YMMV.

It is reports like this that keep me from using Berger or other thin-skinned bullets for hunting, just as inconsistent or poor results on coyotes and antelope kept me from using the original Barnes X bullets on big game. Subsequent reports failure to expand with the Barnes TSX kept me from using them as well, even though the ones I tried were very accurate in my rifles.

While I recognize that many people are happy with Berger bullets and that they often work just fine, I want bullets that provide reliable but controlled and limited expansion with high weight retention for deep penetration. I’ve driven tipped Barnes bullets lengthwise through mule deer and a North Fork the length of a mule deer but without the exit. My hunting group has never recovered a tipped Barnes bullet and we’ve been using them since the MRX was introduced around 2005. It took me over 20 years to recover a Speer Grand Slam and that bullet penetrated through and destroyed both shoulder joints of a 6x5 bull elk. A second Grand Slam was recovered in 2015 after I tool a bull elk at 411 yards, quartering away. That bullet was against the hide on the far side. I’ve recovered only three North Fork bullets in the 18 years I’ve been using them. (They are no longer available but I still have hundreds in 7mm, .30 and .45 caliber.) Two destroyed a section of leg bone and rib on entrance and a section of rib on the far side. The other was the one that went the length of a mule deer with no exit. My group has never recovered an AccuBond, either, and we’ve been using them since they were introduced in 2003.

These days I use cup-and-core bullets in just four big game legal rifles – Marlins in .30-30 and .375 Winchester, a Browning .44 Mag carbine and my .243 Win. The .243 gets a 95g SST, which has worked fine on antelope. I would not consider using that combo on mulies or elk.

Others can use what they want with no objection from me. That said, I don’t and won’t recommend thin-skinned bullets for big game when more robust bullets have proven very effective and reliable with no reports I’m aware of involving bullet blow-ups or shallow penetration.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A few on game performances of 6 mm 105 gr Berger hybrids from 243 at 3000 fps. My 10 year old son killed a 171" 5 year old mule deer in its bed at 2 60 yds. It was facing away from us, the shot was prone. The bullet entered just behind the shoulders breaking the spine as it did so. The bullet then went the full distance of the chest cavity destroying the lungs in the process.#2 My wife shot a 3 year old white tail buck squarely in the chest at 80 yds as it was looking at us. The deer dropped in its tracks. I got over 24" of bullet penetration. # 3 I deliberately shot a mature white tail doe quartering away at 350 yds. After destroying her lungs the bullet broke the off shoulder, and was laying against the hide. She ran about 60 yds and piled up. A 380yd shot on an antelope with the shot hitting behind the shoulders left an exit wound about the size of a golf ball. This is one of the few exits I've had. I prefer the bullet not exit, leaving all of the energy inside the critter. As stated, there are a lot of good bullets out there. Find the one you like, and that shoots well in your rifle, and then don't over think it.But I think it safe to say that Bergers will perform well on game too.Note, We have killed a pile more critters with this bullet, not just the ones mentioned. I have not had any " blow up yet.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
On this site, over the years, I believe I`ve read about hunting "failures" with every bullet ever made. Placed correctly, they`ve all "worked". Which brings up the point "not the arrow, but the Indian".

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
On this site, over the years, I believe I`ve read about hunting "failures" with every bullet ever made. Placed correctly, they`ve all "worked". Which brings up the point "not the arrow, but the Indian".

Exactly.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ryoushi

i read the once in a life time bull moose,i was not impressed with his wounding of a big bull moose at 400 yards = it was not the Berger bullet it was the shooter who shot at the bull .

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Not the arrow, but the indian? What numbskull uses frangible bullets on large animals?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

And those were hits at 400 yards plus with a 180 VLD at 2880. Huh!

Mine dropped at the shot. 338-378 225 TTSX at 3150. 150 yard shot.

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

i read the once in a life time bull moose,i was not impressed with his wounding of a big bull moose at 400 yards = it was not the Berger bullet it was the shooter who shot at the bull .

and the 2nd moose? He missed the vitals with all 7 shots?

μολὼν λαβέ

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I believe what was implied, that an arrow , bullet, placed in the right spot, will work. That`s the Indians job.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Just back from Mont. where I killed a Mule deer buck at 230yrds, using my 7x57 and 140 grn Bergers, MV 2850fps. Deer quartering away, hit to place to bullet in opposite shoulder. Did just that, mushing up lungs and heart, coming to rest in hide. Perfect mushroom, weighed 63.1 grns. Also killed a coyote at 360yrds, slight quarter to me, bullet hit just behind on shoulder, through rear chest cavity, blowing out insides and exiting right rear taking right hind leg with it. I say they work.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by WAM
Not the arrow, but the indian? What numbskull uses frangible bullets on large animals?

Thousands of "numbskulls" a year. Successfully.

If everybody did what you do, there'd be a lot of guys dicking your wife. Remember that.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Guess you can`t place your 'Arrow" where it needs to go either...thousands of folks like that too....musta hit a nerve, Eh.

BTB....you may want to read about the TSX "failure" numbskull.

Last edited by CGPAUL; 11/06/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used Berger vlds for the last several years. 4 elk, 7 antelope and countless deer can attest that they are very lethal. They fly super accurately and bang flop almost every time.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I bought a box of .308 Berger VLD’s about 10 years ago, and loaded them up to hunt deer in Alabama. Shot a nice buck at 260 yards and it was DRT. Same with a mature doe at 200 yards. Unfortunately, third time was not a charm. I shot the biggest buck I’ve ever seen standing broadside at 30 yards off a rest. I aimed for a high shoulder hit, and the bullet impacted exactly where I aimed. He ran about 100 yards and fell down. As darkness was approaching, I waited about 15 minutes and walked toward his downed carcass. When I got within 25 yards he jumped up and ran off. There was a pool of blood the size of a pie plate where he had lain. I decided to back out and returned The next morning at first light with 2 buddies to retrieve him. We tracked him for over a mile, and found a second pool of blood the size of a pie plate that also contained some bone fragments. We finally lost his track when he entered a swamp with water in excess of knee high. I theorize that the bullet exploded on the shoulder joint and did not penetrate into the vitals. I told the landowner the gory details and we went back a couple of times looking for the skeleton- NADA.

The Berger VLD’s were super accurate, but they cost double what Sierra GameKings run, and the bullet failure I experienced meant I still have 75+ VLD’s unforced.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Berger’s are about all they have in my reloading shop. Sierra, Nosler, Barnes are sold out.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
BulletBud,

What bullet weight, cartridge and velocity?

During a cull hunt I tried to get a 168-grain Hunting VLD to "blow up." The cartridge was the .30-06, muzzle velocity 2800+ fps. Had just killed a feral billy goat weighing around 180-200 pounds, and shot one of the bullets into the big shoulder joint from maybe 10 feet away. The bullet broke the joint and penetrated well into the chest cavity.

John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by BulletBud
I theorize that the bullet exploded on the shoulder joint and did not penetrate into the vitals. I told the landowner the gory details and we went back a couple of times looking for the skeleton- NADA..

Not even close. You shot high and hit the spinous process. Extremely common and causes exactly what you describe. You didn’t have a bullet failure, you had a placement one.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I bought a box of .308 Berger VLD’s about 10 years ago, and loaded them up to hunt deer in Alabama. Shot a nice buck at 260 yards and it was DRT. Same with a mature doe at 200 yards. Unfortunately, third time was not a charm. I shot the biggest buck I’ve ever seen standing broadside at 30 yards off a rest. I aimed for a high shoulder hit, and the bullet impacted exactly where I aimed. He ran about 100 yards and fell down. As darkness was approaching, I waited about 15 minutes and walked toward his downed carcass. When I got within 25 yards he jumped up and ran off. There was a pool of blood the size of a pie plate where he had lain. I decided to back out and returned The next morning at first light with 2 buddies to retrieve him. We tracked him for over a mile, and found a second pool of blood the size of a pie plate that also contained some bone fragments. We finally lost his track when he entered a swamp with water in excess of knee high. I theorize that the bullet exploded on the shoulder joint and did not penetrate into the vitals. I told the landowner the gory details and we went back a couple of times looking for the skeleton- NADA.

The Berger VLD’s were super accurate, but they cost double what Sierra GameKings run, and the bullet failure I experienced meant I still have 75+ VLD’s unforced.

Ummm, no.....

- Greg

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That post is no longer there on rok slide..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by hanco
Berger’s are about all they have in my reloading shop. Sierra, Nosler, Barnes are sold out.

You should try some and broaden your horizons...

You'd be "shocked" but I wouldn't be....

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I theorize that the bullet exploded on the shoulder joint and did not penetrate into the vitals. I told the landowner the gory details and we went back a couple of times looking for the skeleton- NADA..

Not even close. You shot high and hit the spinous process. Extremely common and causes exactly what you describe. You didn’t have a bullet failure, you had a placement one.

Yes....

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
BulletBud,

What bullet weight, cartridge and velocity?

During a cull hunt I tried to get a 168-grain Hunting VLD to "blow up." The cartridge was the .30-06, muzzle velocity 2800+ fps. Had just killed a feral billy goat weighing around 180-200 pounds, and shot one of the bullets into the big shoulder joint from maybe 10 feet away. The bullet broke the joint and penetrated well into the chest cavity.

Things are funny, ehh John?

- Greg

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
this was the 1st year i have ever used Berger bullets for hunting, shot 2 bucks with 257 Weatherby mag. 115 gr.VLD bullets the 1st , shot at 150 yards buck dressed 165 lbs went in the lungs and right on thru both sides the buck went 12 feet and was stone dead , 2nd buck shot at 100 yards still dressed 205 lbs on nov.21st, blew this buck`s heart in pieces bullet went thru both sides buck went almost 50 yards and tipped over. i also shot a doe at 75 yards with a 256 Newton rifle which uses a 6.5 bullet , i used a 6.5 140gr Berger VLD target bullet,went thru center of lungs,bullet also went thru both sides this deer was shot at 75 yards, doe went 60 feet laid down and died.
>i like the accuracy of Berger bullets ,as far as i can tell these Berger bullets work just fine for me , i will use these Berger bullets next year for deer again too.

Last edited by pete53; 11/27/20.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 60 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,437
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.