Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just curious as to how many elk you have killed with your Nosler Partitions lately? Or how many elk you have seen die in your life time?

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I would just ask why the 200 Sierra instead of the 200 Nosler Partition; it will do everything better with 100% reliable terminal performance.

Or the 200 Nosler AccuBond; almost the equal of the Partition with a slightly better BC.

MM

L
lotech Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by DLSguide
Just curious as to how many elk you have killed with your Nosler Partitions lately? Or how many elk you have seen die in your life time?

I've seen exceptional accuracy with the 200 GK in my Remington .300 Winchester Magnum and I was curious about the experiences of any who have used this bullet for elk. I don't hunt a great deal as many here do. I suppose I've taken a dozen bulls in the last thirty years.

With the exception of my first bull taken in Colorado with a .338-06 and a 225 grain Hornady bullet, I've used mostly Barnes bullets in .270 (130 grain), 7x61 (150 grain), and .308 (150 grain and 168 grain). I've used 160 Partitions in the 7x61 only on two or three elk. In response to your question, I haven't used the 160 Partition in several years, but I don't think the bullet has changed in that time. All bullets have worked well; no complaints, no animals lost and none had to be tracked.

As I mentioned previously, I enjoy developing loads for a variety of bullets in rifles.

As

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I had a family friend that lived in Washington state. He and his family all hunted elk and used
only the Federal 30-06 load that had the Sierra 200 gr SBT Gameking. Mostly 1 shot kills, 50-250 yards. They use to buy it by the case. Last time I spoke with the family in ‘98 my friend had passed away. They asked if I had any of that load on the east coast as they were almost out.
I guess that would be a hearty endorsement.
Good luck and have fun! Tom

Last edited by Tom2506; 11/08/19.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Anybody tried the new Gamechanger from Sierra? It's supposed to have been toughened up

They are. I have a statistical sample of one. 270, 140 grain, 257 yard shot through both lungs on a pronghorn that dressed at 97 #.

Being an antelope in the wide open, I didnt get too awfully torqued about it, but he ran a good ways...longer than a double lunged animal should to put it in subjective terms.

Upon dressing him out it was apparent that the bullet had ice picked on him. Little hole in, little hole out, virtually no damage to the lungs other than a hole poked in em. I would expect a drastically different story with a big ol bull elk.

That being said, I used North Forks a month later on my bull elk.

exact performance I got last season on using one in 6mm... the one I got flamed to no end on .....by all of our "resident experts"..
and whatever ya do, don't call Sierra's Customer Service to inquire about the bullet after their recommendation didn't work out...

Used the same rifle this year, and but this time loaded a Nosler 90 Ballistic Tip instead of a 90 grain GameChanger...
Quartering away at a 60 degree angle, using a rest, put the Ballistic tip right behind the last rib, went straight thru the lung and was mushroomed under the hide right at the front left shoulder...the 4 pt blacktail with eye guards, dropped at the shot, as I walked toward him, he was huffing and puffing his last breathes....laser ranged the shot at 468 yds.. that mil dot scope helped a lot on that....

and no, didn't need a winch, or jeep to get him to the road, so I could thrown him in the back of my trailer...butcher figured 180 lbs on the hoof......

200 gr Game King, Federal factory load, 300 Win Mag, back in MN, last day of the season, as the sun was going down, and a really huge white tail, crossed a spot 100 yds from me....shot hit the chest at a 90 degree angle...deer went down on his nose, as I was running toward him, he jumped up and dived into the swamp he was heading for... it was about 10 degrees outside at the time...where he hit the ground there was hair in a 2 ft radius all over the place along with blood in the same two foot circle in the snow....tried to track him in the swamp, no luck finding him as it got dark real quick... spent the night in the field in my 4 Runner..
was out there at the crack of dawn... still to no avail finding the deer... it was easily over a 300Lb Northern MN buck...

talked to Sierra tech on Monday... told the situation... they told me that that particular bullet in a magnum was too hard to open up on deer at that distance, it would be better suited for elk at that short of distance... they told me it probably passed thru the deer before it had the chance to open up..... at 250 yds it would have opened up.... that next time using that bullet, in Federal Premium Ammo, it would be better suited loaded in an 06 for deer... still have that box of ammo... but never used it after that...

couple of seasons later a friend used the same factory load in his 300 Win and it dropped a good sized buck at 300 yds with no problems....on the spot, DRT....

So up close, deer NO... elk yup... at least according to Sierra back then....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Anybody tried the new Gamechanger from Sierra? It's supposed to have been toughened up

They are. I have a statistical sample of one. 270, 140 grain, 257 yard shot through both lungs on a pronghorn that dressed at 97 #.

Being an antelope in the wide open, I didnt get too awfully torqued about it, but he ran a good ways...longer than a double lunged animal should to put it in subjective terms.

Upon dressing him out it was apparent that the bullet had ice picked on him. Little hole in, little hole out, virtually no damage to the lungs other than a hole poked in em. I would expect a drastically different story with a big ol bull elk.

That being said, I used North Forks a month later on my bull elk.

Gee, last season, I got flamed big time, for essentially giving the same report on the Game Changer in 6mm. on a blacktail.......

Guess all those guys didn't find this report....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I wouldn't choose a Sierra for elk, I think the Nosler Accubond or Partition is far superior. And with elk being as tough as they are, the time, effort, money it takes to get yourself in position to take one, it's not even a consideration for me...Nosler.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by lotech
I'm aware of incidents regarding bullet blowups with some Sierra bullets, but does anyone have hunting experience with the .30 caliber 200 grain GameKing on elk? I tried a variety of bullets this morning in a heavy-barrel Remington 700 5R in .300 Winchester Magnum. Initial accuracy results were very good with the 200 GK. One of the other bullets I tried was the 180 ProHunter; good accuracy, but not quite as good as the 200 GK.

I've never hunted elk but what I read here tells me the Nosler Partition is your friend. I use SGK 200s in my .30-06 for deer and hogs. I shot one hog just below the tail and it came out pretty much in tact just under the skin at the brisket. So if that's all I had I wouldn't feel under gunned.

The only regular hunting bullets I ever had blow up were the old Nosler Ballistic Tips. But those were the old ones and they've improved them big time now.

Last edited by Filaman; 07/03/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Seafire

talked to Sierra tech on Monday... told the situation... they told me that that particular bullet in a magnum was too hard to open up on deer at that distance, it would be better suited for elk at that short of distance... they told me it probably passed thru the deer before it had the chance to open up..... at 250 yds it would have opened up....that next time using that bullet, in Federal Premium Ammo, it would be better suited loaded in an 06 for deer... still have that box of ammo... but never used it after that...

Geez, not that BS.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boy, I personally wouldn't be hesitant. Saw a muley, not an elk, shot with one out of a 300 Winny. I lost sight of it (steeply quartered shot from the rear at about 160 yards). I asked my buddy "Where'd it go?" He says "Straight down." Ran the length of the muley from in front of right rear leg through behind left leg and kept going. Hit spine and it was nothing but chicken bones.

Murphy was a grunt.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
For elk, I recommend you talk to Sierra.
They say their new game changer bullet is harder and stouter than their game kings.

With that having been said, it’s hard to beat a 200 grain partition for performance and accuracy.

Wouldn’t that be similar to asking the Fox if he’s seen any predators near the hen house! grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've seen 200gr GK up close on a both deer and elk, but at 30-06 speed (2630 mv). Deer was a forkhorn. Shot through the heart broadside at about 30 yds. It looked hit with a sledge hammer--dropped on its side and never even flinched. Elk at about 65 yds. We thought she was not as quartered away as she was. My brother shot for the offside shoulder, and thought he hit her in the onside ribs. We were so elk-fevered and rattled by the way things went down (I had just done a lot of running and gunning to connect on what we thought was a solo elk, and then this cow wandered out of the timber from another direction) that we both just sat down and waited, as she was obviously hit well. She walked to a tree and laid down under it, with her head hanging low, so we walked up and finished her. She was a huge cow. Turned out the SGK had hit her square in the hind quarter muscle on the near side, punched through her guts, poked through a lung, and was embedded in the chest cavity, just under the front of the opposite shoulder. Given that he shot her in the ass, with a "soft" bullet, the wound channel through the rear quarter was surprisingly not torn up badly. The bullet traveled through that muscle, the guts, the chest cavity. It was perfectly but not widely mushroomed and weighed 151 gr. In my opinion, that IS a 200gr Partition. Sierra uses a very hardened lead core in those. Not sure what they would do a higher speed, but from the performance on that elk, I'd not be concerned to do it again. I also wouldn't push them to 3200fps.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
I wouldn't choose a Sierra for elk, I think the Nosler Accubond or Partition is far superior. And with elk being as tough as they are, the time, effort, money it takes to get yourself in position to take one, it's not even a consideration for me...Nosler.

Eggzackly how I feel. I watched my elk hunting partner shoot elk every year with the Sierra 200 GK’s out of his 300 Mag. Each occasion required one or more follow up shots. In conversation I would politely suggest that he at least try Partitions and see if they “clicked” for him. He was very hesitant to do so as he had been a Sierra guy forever. In 2005 I got my bull the second day of my hunt, and afterwards videoed his hunt. We had a nice 6x6 show up at about 175 yards broadside and the shooting commenced. Seven shots later, he was right at 335 yards before he collapsed. The GK’s had exploded on the hide on each shot (from 175-335 yds), with one miracle shot finally penetrating the vitals. I got it all on video.

After we got the elk worked up he turned and asked me if I thought he ought to try Partitions now, what my suggestions for loads were, etc. I let it be his choice to smooth the transition. Our next hunt was in 2007 and he was shooting Partitions. We’ve shot bunches of elk in that time and he’s stuck with his boring Partitions. Dead elk with one shot....ranges from about 75 yards out to 350...the biggest being a 376” monster.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Eggzackly how I feel. I watched my elk hunting partner shoot elk every year with the Sierra 200 GK’s out of his 300 Mag. Each occasion required one or more follow up shots. In conversation I would politely suggest that he at least try Partitions and see if they “clicked” for him. He was very hesitant to do so as he had been a Sierra guy forever. In 2005 I got my bull the second day of my hunt, and afterwards videoed his hunt. We had a nice 6x6 show up at about 175 yards broadside and the shooting commenced. Seven shots later, he was right at 335 yards before he collapsed. The GK’s had exploded on the hide on each shot (from 175-335 yds), with one miracle shot finally penetrating the vitals. I got it all on video.

After we got the elk worked up he turned and asked me if I thought he ought to try Partitions now, what my suggestions for loads were, etc. I let it be his choice to smooth the transition. Our next hunt was in 2007 and he was shooting Partitions. We’ve shot bunches of elk in that time and he’s stuck with his boring Partitions. Dead elk with one shot....ranges from about 75 yards out to 350...the biggest being a 376” monster.

Horseshit. 200gr bullets don't "explode on the hide". Stop peddling this trash. WTF is wrong with you?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This bull was killed with a 180 gr GK out of an .06 at about 60 yards.One shot DRT Unit 201,CO after 21 pref points. He doesn't look it,but green scored 343 nontypical. I usually have 220gr stuffed in it,but I was expecting longer shots and this one popped up close. I shot him at the base of the neck where I could get into his spine fairly quick

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is an enlargement of the same photo to see the empty case an loaded 180 gr GK

A lot of guys see c& c blow up without penetration when used at magnum velocities, The Game King is no exception

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/04/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My father in law uses 200 gr Game Kings for moose and caribou In his 30-06 and 300 Win Mag. Has for years. He’s very particular, and obsessed about accuracy. I don’t think he’s killed all that many though, and I don’t have any kinds of stories about losing wounded game from him.
He’s now In Colorado with us and I suspect that’s the bullet he will go with for his deer hunt this year. He’s opted to not bother with elk hunting after packing out a cow with my wife a few years ago.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Horseshit. 200gr bullets don't "explode on the hide". Stop peddling this trash. WTF is wrong with you?

“Exploding on the hide” may have been a bit of an exaggeration, but, I had three (3) extremely disappointing results on game ( deer, elk, bear) with a Sierra Gameking 300 grain from a .375 H&H.....launched at less velocity than from this gentleman’s 300 WM. After having those failures, until I used up my inventory, they were only used on prairie dogs and jack rabbits! They appeared adequate for that purpose.....barely! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Not one damn thing is wrong with me. So you, not being there, accuse me of peddling trash? There’s your horseshit! Me, my friend, and our guide saw what the hell happened and I filmed it. As stated before, it wasn’t his first rodeo with him taking multiple shots with the 300WM and 200 grain Sierra Game Kings. Because not one single elk went down from a single Shot during our annual hunts, I initially asked him if he was pleased with his bullet’s performance. That led to him trying Partitions exactly as I stated.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
200gr Game Kings will e be an excellent choice for elk. Use the combination that gives you the best accuracy and put the bullet where it needs to go to kill it. Good luck out there. If you're hunting the Northwest bring some wolf killing rounds and take some of those buggers too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Mighty fine bull man! Good to see an old Winchester getting it done.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, akshooting, 15 invisible), 1,642 guests, and 751 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.