Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
With that many scopes how many rounds do you get in under each one?

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I've had two Leupolds bad from the factory, one replaced, the other fixed.
No problems after that.
Had about 20 of em, new and used over the years.
Once zeroed they stayed.
Yeah, tappit tap at the bench. PITA.
But I expect it running varmint cartridges. Just not enough jolt to make things move like they're supposed to.

I need a gloss 3-9X or something for a Ruger #1.
Looking at used prices, for 40 yr old scopes w friction adjust..............no thanks.
I'll slap a new one on and call it good.
Hell, maybe even a POS Redfield Revolution.
Had over a half doz of those, they worked fine. Adjusted in without tappity tap......but the 1/4 inch clicks were a little more in one direction on a couple.

Older rifles IMHO don't look right with the large eyebell stuff.
And yeah, looks are important to some degree.

If I had to run a target rig, twist dials..........I'd proly look at a diff brand.
For poking holes in deer or chucks, Leupolds work OK for me.
But, my shooting is 400 yds or less.

If I was playing the long D game I might need something else.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/06/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs
I go FFII everytime I don't go NF, Bush, SS for a dialing scope, specifically the 3x9's. They are about as great a set and forget scope as it gets and the BP reticle is pretty workable with most cartridges with a little math work.. They are rock solid for me..

I do the exact same thing!

405wcf

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
With that many scopes how many rounds do you get in under each one?

I keep around 100 rifles in the racks that are zeroed and ready to shoot, so none of the centerfire rifle get shot much unless it is a pdog rifle. I have eight 6.5-20x40 Leupolds on pdog rifles that each have between 3,500 and 8,000 rounds fired, chambered in 204, 223 (x2), 22-250, 25 WSSM (x2), and 260 (x2). The Leupold with the most rounds fired is an old Vari-X II 2-7x28, SN 1118XX, that has been on a Ruger 10/22 since the mid-1990's with at least 15,000 rounds fired.

The other Leupolds are mostly Vari-X IIc, VX-I/II, and VX-1/2 series scopes. The oldest Leupold that I currently have mounted on a rifle is a 4x Pioneer, SN 96XX, on a pre-'64 Winchester 70 that is there for aesthetic, rather than mechanical, qualities.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Don’t sweat the 3x9 Burris FFII, great eye relief and very good optics for what that scope costs. I wouldn’t be scared to have one on a properly fitted 375.

I still use quite a few Leupold 6x36’s and I’ll give them props, their slotted adjustments work like they are supposed to and stay put on everything I’ve had one on.

The FFII with the BP Is darned good though, doesn’t weigh much and it adjusts as its supposed to. Something I cannot say about the last 5-6 Leupold variables I’ve had, including three of their excellent 2-12 VX6’s.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've actually looked through a Burris FFII and I had a Leupold VX1 and now own a Redfield Revolution, but compared to my
Weaver Classic V10. the latter is hands down better glass than the former. It's Japanese glass, and I'm amused by guys who
think just because something is made in America it's inherently better. Japanese pick-up trucks disproved that point decades ago.
The real distinction is stuff from Red China. Their scopes are no where as good as the scopes made in the Phillipines or Japan.
By the way, the only scope that ever fogged up on me was a Leupold; sent it back, and they still didn't fix the problem.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Wifeshusband
I've actually looked through a Burris FFII and I had a Leupold VX1 and now own a Redfield Revolution, but compared to my
Weaver Classic V10. the latter is hands down better glass than the former. It's Japanese glass, and I'm amused by guys who
think just because something is made in America it's inherently better. Japanese pick-up trucks disproved that point decades ago.
The real distinction is stuff from Red China. Their scopes are no where as good as the scopes made in the Phillipines or Japan.
By the way, the only scope that ever fogged up on me was a Leupold; sent it back, and they still didn't fix the problem.

I have a Weaver Classic V10, 2-10x38, that came on a rifle that I took in trade. I really wanted to like it, but I can't stand the tunnel vision aspect of that scope such that I would only recommend it to someone who I particularly didn't like. Another case of different people with different experiences forming conflicting opinions about the same product.

I agree that the quality of Chinese optics is lagging well behind Japan, the Philippines, and Korea, although I have to admit that the Chinese knock-off of a Leupold 2-7x33 that I have on a Ruger 10/22 has held its zero through around 2,000 rounds fired.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have a number of Leupold scopes, mostly VX-3's, and they have worked well for me, although occasionally they require extra shots to zero because the adjustments are not always consistent.

However, most of my recent scopes have been Burris FFII's with ballistic plex. I am quite happy with them as they hold zero, have consistent adjustments and have decent glass for a relatively low price.

444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well I made a deal on a 3-12 Burris signature select within my $200 budget. I was going to go FFII but this was a great deal imo. Upgrading my oldest son from a compact Ruger American to a full size Tikka T3.

Thanks for all the replies.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Burris Signature Select is another league from the FFII.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Good job, I have a 3-10x40 Burris Signature Select and really like it, they are great scopes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Hands down the Burris...with BP.

Both would work, for sure, but there's no issue using the Burris during legal shooting light. Ive got four of them...

Gradually sold off my Leupold, though I like them too....besides, nowadays Burris has the reputation for durability...

This^^^^^^

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You will get that tunneling effect if your scope (Weaver V10) is set too far forward. Try moving it back a little. I had the same problem until
I moved it. Got rid of most of it. I will take a little tunnel in return for better clarity, which, as I said, to me anyway, is better than most of the
scopes in the $200 price range. The Weaver Classic's reticles are bolder and it's really helped me getting on deer quicker.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I bought a 3-9X duplex Freedom 40mm for a yote AR.
The new look seems to match the ugly rifle.
Might get to the range today, storms done.

Have had two other Freedoms, both zeroed in just fine, held zero (but they were on .22rf).
Did not care for the EFR 3-9X I had. The eyepiece made it look wrong on sporters, and there was a distortion ring around outside edge of image........maybe due to objective lens being so recessed?

My reg 3-9X view looks fine.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/19/20.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

322 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 10ring1, 2ndwind, 39 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,038
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.