Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
300MAG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just read a post on Snipershide that Robert passed away......

RIP Robert

Last edited by 300MAG; 07/06/20.
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
RIP Robert

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
please inform on what happened someone when you hear..horrible news and just shows you never know when your time will come..tremendous loss for his family and friends.his talent in gunsmithing was phenominal but not of importance in this context..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RIP, prayers for his family.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
interesting..so few comments on his passing..no matter your opinion on issues that he had with his buisness a few years ago from what i understand he tried and made good on many of his backlog and communication lapses.granted buisness is buisness and i understand that.i do not worship at the altar of any gunsmith.all i know is human beings are human.they can have issues and maybe not handle things as well as others.his skills as a riflesmith were as good as any and better than most and he was humble.i remember the beating he took on this forum.i learned long ago not to judge until you walk in others shoes.i just wish others would express some comment on a decent persons passing.but alot wont.very sad.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sloone,

I ran across another thread on this forum that had more traction. Mid-summer gets kind of slow around here too so I'd take the lack of response with a grain of salt.

I'm glad Robert is finally at peace. And condolences to his family.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by sloone
please inform on what happened someone when you hear..horrible news and just shows you never know when your time will come..tremendous loss for his family and friends.his talent in gunsmithing was phenominal but not of importance in this context..

He had been very depressed for a good while. Over the last few months he was non-communicative with my other gunsmith buddies. He was in a very dark place and couldn't dig himself out of that hole. He took his own life per a friend of his.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
thanks s kane and godogs.i lived with severe depression for a few years many years ago.it manifests in many different ways in different people..you cannot fully explain it as it is not just about feeling sadness.to much to try and explain in this brief text..medicine saved my life.i would not been able to continue with it and would not of survived my battle without the life saving meds.there are those who try many different meds and still suffer so deeply.he built a rifle for a close friend years ago.phenominal it was and is..god rest his soul..just horrible to the core.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very sad to read this thread, even more so to hear a result of self harm. I never met him but sure enjoyed many a build threads on the Hide and enjoyed the heck out of a couple 2nd hand rifles he built. He could certainly build an accurate rifle for sure.

Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Any link to an obit?

DF

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
that is too bad. I did not know him or even have any of his work, but a good man has passed and he shared a lot of interests with us.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Never met him or even commissioned him. But a very sad story indeed. It’s amazing how the most talented often have demons that haunt them

Buy once, cry once.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Prayers for Robert. May God be with him. This is terribly tragic, especially for his family members.

Please if you know anyone suffering with depression, take it upon yourself to make sure they get treatment.

RIP Robert

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
There are a number of posts on this forum referring to the crap Campfire members dumped on him. I was not familiar with that aspect. What was the deal there?

Know one of the contributing factors to his depression was a $2500 monthly rental on his CNC outfit. He was in a vicious cycle of being so depressed he couldn’t work, much less communicate with others. No work——->$2500 a month due before other expenses...it just put the hole he had dug for himself deeper and deeper each month.

What a crying shame.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
$2500 a month on a rental could cause some stress.it certainly wasnt a big contributor with this i dont believe.clinical severe depressionlike roberts is a severe chemical imbalance which can only be helped primarily thru medication.dont know all the issues he had with trying to overcome his battle.this illness can show a myriad of symptoms with different people.he obviously was getting no relief for years.been there and thru it and you cant explain it if you never experienced it.life altering and devastating and dibilitating is a understatement.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
$2500 a month on a rental could cause some stress.it certainly wasnt a big contributor with this i dont believe.clinical severe depressionlike roberts is a severe chemical imbalance which can only be helped primarily thru medication.dont know all the issues he had with trying to overcome his battle.this illness can show a myriad of symptoms with different people.he obviously was getting no relief for years.been there and thru it and you cant explain it if you never experienced it.life altering and devastating and dibilitating is a understatement.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
He was a very close friend. We always kept in touch after I attended his gunsmith class. We use to kid with each other how boring the two rifles that he built me. Money was not an object when they were built. Robert spent more time than usual on these two rifles and later admitted these were the most accurate rifles that he had ever built.

Would love to share some pictures but will need some help from a member

Last edited by andrews1958; 07/10/20.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Can you text?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I couldn't find an obit, no family info, etc.

You'd think a man of his accomplishments would have more said about him than what I'm seeing.

DF

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Godogs57
There are a number of posts on this forum referring to the crap Campfire members dumped on him. I was not familiar with that aspect. What was the deal there?

Know one of the contributing factors to his depression was a $2500 monthly rental on his CNC outfit. He was in a vicious cycle of being so depressed he couldn’t work, much less communicate with others. No work——->$2500 a month due before other expenses...it just put the hole he had dug for himself deeper and deeper each month.

What a crying shame.

My memory was that he disappeared for an extended period of time and lots of people that had sent him money and parts were left wondering

I believe when he resurfaced, that’s when he hired the guy to help him manage customer service

I never met him nor have I seen much less shot one of his rifles but it sure seemed like he could build a good one. Hate to hear he had demons he couldn’t overcome

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 14idaho, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,561 guests, and 719 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.