Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29418825/sources-chiefs-patrick-mahomes-agree-10-year-extension

The Chiefs and Super Bowl MVP quarterback Patrick Mahomes have reached agreement on a 10-year contract extension that ties him to Kansas City through the 2031 season, the team announced Monday.

League sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter that the deal is worth $450 million over the 10-year period, and could be worth up to $503 million. The extension includes a $140 million injury guarantee, as well as a no-trade clause.

It also includes the ability for Mahomes to have outs if certain "guaranteed mechanisms" aren't exercised, a source told Schefter.

"Since he joined the Chiefs just a few years ago, Patrick has developed into one of the most prolific athletes in all of sports," Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said in a statement about the quarterback who led them to their first championship in 50 years.

"With his dynamic play and infectious personality, he is one of the most recognized and beloved figures to put on the Chiefs uniform. He's an extraordinary leader and a credit to the Kansas City community, and I'm delighted that he will be a member of the Chiefs for many years to come.''

Mahomes tweeted about the deal following its announcement Monday.

The Chiefs picked up Mahomes' fifth-year option for the 2021 season in April, putting him under contract for the next two seasons. Mahomes had two years and $27.6 million left on his existing deal -- $2.8 million this year, $24.8 million in 2021. The 10-year extension puts him under contract with the Chiefs for the next 12 seasons.

Mahomes will receive $83 million-plus in signing bonuses from 2021-23 ($21.7 million in '21, $27.4 million in '22, $34 million-plus in '23). Those first three years are fully guaranteed, sources told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.

The Chiefs added $25 million in incentives over 10 years for Mahomes. Starting in 2022, and for 10 years running, Mahomes will have a $1.25 million incentive for winning the AFC Championship Game and a $1.25 million incentive for winning NFL MVP, a source told Schefter.

With his landmark payout over the next 12 seasons, Mahomes will have the richest valued contract in American professional sports. Mike Trout had previously held that distinction when he signed a 12-year, $426.5 million contract with the Los Angeles Angels in March 2019. Trout's contract is fully guaranteed, however.

Patrick Mahomes: Past 2 Seasons

Including the playoffs, Patrick Mahomes leads the NFL in touchdown passes, passing yards, yards per attempt, Total QBR and wins as a starter over the past two seasons.

NFL RANK
Pass TD 89 1st
Pass yards 10,602 1st
Wins 27 1st
Total QBR 79 1st
Yards per att. 8.5 1st
-- ESPN Stats & Information
General manager Brett Veach said this deal has been a priority and thanked Mahomes' agents, Chris Cabott and Leigh Steinberg.

"His abilities are so rare, and to couple that with an incredible personality is outstanding,'' Veach said of Mahomes. "We're going to continue to do everything we can to surround him with talent, and this deal provides us more flexibility to do that. He's obviously an integral part to our success and we're thrilled he's going to be the quarterback of the Kansas City Chiefs for a long time.''

Mahomes becomes the fourth quarterback since 2011 to receive an extension before the start of his fourth season, joining Ryan Tannehill (Miami Dolphins in 2015), Carson Wentz (Philadelphia Eagles in 2019) and Jared Goff (Los Angeles Rams in 2019).

The Chiefs had said they intended to sign their franchise quarterback to an extension but had previously indicated it might not happen until after this season.

Orlovsky on Mahomes' extension: 'This is awesome'Dan Orlovsky explains why Patrick Mahomes' 10-year extension with the Chiefs is good for all parties involved.
Mahomes, 24, was MVP of Kansas City's 31-20 victory over the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl LIV, becoming the first quarterback in NFL history to win a league MVP and Super Bowl before turning 25.

Mahomes became the youngest quarterback to be named Super Bowl MVP, helping the Chiefs erase a 10-point fourth-quarter deficit by leading three touchdown drives. He finished 26-of-42 for 286 yards with three total touchdowns (two passing, one rushing), two interceptions and a 78.6 passer rating. He joined Tom Brady (Super Bowl XLIX) and Terry Bradshaw (XIV) as the only players to win Super Bowl MVP despite throwing multiple interceptions.

Mahomes was named the NFL MVP after the 2018 season, when he led the league with 50 touchdown passes and threw for 5,097 yards in his first full season as a starter.

Coach Andy Reid said the best part is that Mahomes is still early in his career. Mahomes won't turn 25 until Sept. 17.

Extension for Patrick Mahomes a no-brainer for Chiefs

Patrick Mahomes' 10-year extension: Social media reaction

"He's a natural leader and always grinding, whether that's on the field, in the weight room or watching film, he wants to be the best," Reid said. "He's a competitor and his teammates feed off his energy. He makes us all better as an organization and we are blessed he's going to be our quarterback for years to come.''

The Chiefs traded up in the 2017 draft to select Mahomes with the 10th overall pick. He sat out for most of his rookie season behind starter Alex Smith, starting in only the season finale when the Chiefs rested their starters.

The Chiefs traded Smith to the Washington Redskins before the following season, making Mahomes the starter.

Overall, Mahomes has thrown for 9,412 yards with 76 touchdowns and 18 interceptions in 31 regular-season games. In five playoff games, he has thrown for 1,474 yards with 13 touchdowns and two interceptions.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
M
Good quarterback. Too bad few will watch him play.

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They showed him the money...!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I wonder if they will change the name??

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good for him. Talented guy.

How will they pay him when the fans don't show?

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I believe he is something like 20% of the Chief's salary cap at $45 mil a year.

Will they be able to roster a good team around him, long term?

I am betting that in 4-5 years, the Chiefs will be sorry they EVER made this deal.

But he is something else to watch right now!

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
No problem. They’re paying him with someone else’s money , not mine! LOL!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No nfl for me this year. I will miss watching him. I think we are watching the next Brady when we watch him play.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by gritsnfishin1
No nfl for me this year. I will miss watching him. I think we are watching the next Brady when we watch him play.

I'LL bet the huge deal requires him to get "woke" this year. Book it

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hope they all go broke ,screw them all

NRA Life Member
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by duck911

I am betting that in 4-5 years, the Chiefs will be sorry they EVER made this deal.

That remains to be seen but in 4-5 years, he may very well be a bargain at that price.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The absolute height of black oppression.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
No wonder razor blades, beer and pickup trucks cost us so much.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm hopping the whole un-american leftest NFL and the NBA goes bankrupt.

As a bonus maybe then the price of beer will go down

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

In 10 years the NFL, will be gone. I Hope. Rio7

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RIO7

They’ll soon rename it the Black Lives Matter League. 😡

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/07/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
By the way, since Patrick Mahomes is half white, will he be labeled a RACIST???

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by RIO7

Nah. The cities and their governments that are home to an NFL franchise would rather see businesses looted, destroyed and the cops defunded before the NFL is allowed to fail.

Book it!

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
$450 mil? How can this be in a nation where black oppression and racism are rampant?

Tarquin
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Tarquin
$450 mil? How can this be in a nation where black oppression and racism are rampant?

I know. If he wasnt black at all he'd be making 950 million...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 90 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.