Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well John You have confirmed my guess. I didn't know when Remington went to thinner jackets, and I had no idea they were farming out the production of the Core-Lokts, but I believe it was a mistake. I bought a BIG stack of 270 caliber 150 grain Round Nose in the early 70s and again I bought 7,000 (I think) of the 30 cals in the late 80s in both 150 and 165 grains. I loved those bullets. Some other brands were a bit more accurate but not enough to worry about for hunting, and I didn't find many that would out-perform them on game.

In 2004 I got 3000 more 150 grain 30 calibers and the jackets were thin. They were not pencil-points, and they looked exactly like the older ones until you cut them in half. The jackets on the new ones were only about 35% to 40% as thick as those on the older ones. Not quite as accurate either. I have killed some game with them, and yes, the deer and antelope died, but the wounds are not as consistent as the old one were and sometimes you get blow-ups and more erratic wound channels (turning off course) then I ever saw with the old Core-Lokt bullets.

Thanks for chiming in here.

It cleared up some questions I had in the back of my mind.

Last edited by szihn; 07/06/20.
BP-B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by super T
BC, 150 grain Nosler BT.

I've shot deer and pigs with this one launched from a 308. No blow ups, and I don't think an antelope will provide more resistance.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just about any bullet designed for deer will work well. When looking for a dedicated antelope bullet I look for a higher BC as in most areas it will be windy during the hunting season. The medium to heavy bullets will have a higher BC and ruin less meat usually.

The Accubond and Interbond are a good compromise between expansion and minimal meat loss. Any bullet will be destructive if it hits the shoulder especially on the entry side. But many others will work well too. I would not hesitate to use a BT or a Hornaday Inter Locked as long as they are put in the right place the antelope will drop relatively quickly and meat loss should not be too bad.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
If it will kill a deer, it will kill an antelope.

For standard medium bore hunting rifles, just take your best high BC deer load, zero for 250 yards (providing you don't dial) and make sure you have a sharp knife. Hunting NBT's at 3k, it doesn't matter which one, kill antelope nicely. If you are over 3k, with the heaviest NBT your gun will shoot, it's time to switch to the Accubond.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/06/20.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tejano
When looking for a dedicated antelope bullet I look for a higher BC as in most areas it will be windy during the hunting season. The medium to heavy bullets will have a higher BC and ruin less meat usually.

^^^^This. Shot my first speedgoat with my 30-06 at 294 yards in a 25-30 mph almost perfect crosswind; gusts 30+. Used a 150 SST over H414. Went prone, misread the wind (buck was bedded on side of hill across canyon--which, when we walked over to gut him, the wind was HOWLING through unbeknownst to up on the other side) and missed him holding slightly behind midpoint of back. Held further back and second shot hit him in neck close to 24" lateral travel. So, while the manuals talk about bullets being on the lighter side as being good antelope bullets, that's in a lab, not Wyoming.

Murphy was a grunt.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Far too much importance is given to B.C. and gear these days, and not near enough to hunting skills. Use dirty belt buckles and they will do so much more for your ability to hunt then new gear or slick bullets.

I average 4 antelope a year here in Wyoming and so does my wife, so just the 2 of us get to shoot 8 per year as an average. Some years less and a few years more, but 6-8 per year is common.

Add to these the 10-20 per season that I will be along on hunts with friends who come to hunt with us, and you'll understand I get to see a lot of antelope shot. This started for me in 1994 here in Wyoming.. so that's 26 years now. In a ten year period I get to either kill, or see killed, about 225 to maybe 250 pronghorns. If I were to say an average of even 3 for me per year (actually too low ) over the 26 years I have been doing this in Wyoming , and then if I estimate a low-ball number of goats I see shot every year at 12, that would be 15-18 antelope total killed per year X 26 years. So the low-end figure is 390 ==and I know it's actually a bit higher. My own kills are probably about 3-4 per year as an average so that would come to 78 at the low end.

So ---of these numbers, the questions I'd ask and answer for the readers benefit is:

How many have I see killed at 500 yards and farther in the last 26 years? Answer: 3
How many were killed over 600? Answer: 1. (Which took the man 7 shots total)

How many have I personally killed over 500 yards? Answer: None.
How many have I personally killed over 400 yards? Answer: 3 and maybe 4.

The question I think is far more significant is to ask: How many I have killed under 50 yards. That would be about 20-25.
How many under 20 yards? Answer; 4

I have killed several antelope with handguns, all of which were revolvers with issue sights.

last year I killed my buck at 35-37 yards using iron sights and one doe at 12 yards. Here is the buck.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG_20190918_192827625 by Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
Here is the rifle I killed the doe with, (but this is obviously not that doe.) I didn't have a camera with me for that hunt. This is a small buck from the year before and it too was killed with an iron sighted rifle at about 165 yards. [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]2018 #1 Ant. Buck by Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
Both those rifles use only with Round Nose Bullets by the way.................

So the idea that you need some new wiz-bang uber-tec do-dad, be it a new bullet, new scope, bi-pod, wind gauge or what ever, may all be helpful as learning tools ---but none of that helps you HUNT. It may help someone shoot to a degree , but even that degree of help is WAY less helpful then the advertisers would try to tell you. Gear doesn't make skill!

I have a 460 yard range 10 steps out my front door ,and I am only 15 minutes from a range I can fire to 1400 yards. I like long range shooting and I go out to have fun doing that fairly often, But that is not hunting.

If you are even questioning your ability to place your shot perfectly, due to wind, range, angels, or anything else, get your belt buckle in the dirt and get closer. Big Game is not your enemy. Respect them enough to hunt them, instead of simply shooting them (or shooting at them, shooting them poorly....... and so on)

Last edited by szihn; 07/06/20.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just one more to show.
Anna killed this buck with her 30-06 using a 165 Grain Hornady Spire Point and she shot him OFF HAND at about 90 yards, using the contour of the ground as cover to stalk the game and she stood up when she knew she could get the shot.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Picture0922180833_1 by .com/photos/156296479N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

She has got quite a few more too, but as usual we don't have cameras with us on most hunts.She knows how to HUNT and gets her game every year. Deer Elk and Antelope are all in danger when Anna hunts them.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I would agree with szihn.. My wife and I have killed well over 200 antelope between us probably closer to 250.. I can only remember a couple does shot about 400 yards.. Most less than 200..She killed one or two about 300 yards but that was when she was older and had a tough time getting around.. We have shot them or seen them shot with everything from 22 L>R> to the .375 H & H and .45-70.. Plus I have also shot about a dozen with pistols.. Revolvers.. Quite a few with the /30-30, 32 spl.. and .25-35.. If I had to kill one in one day I would probably take one of my 7 mags.. But I have never had to do that.. The best shot I have ever seen was buy a friend who killed a nice 15" buck about 350 yards .. He shot over the hood of a pickup up and the wind was screaming.. Not a gentle 25-30 mph, just ripping.. He use a .300 with a 165 gr. boatail loaded to the max.. He was one of the best shots I have ever hunted with.. He had a broad side shot and held slight back of the center of the antelope and made a good chest shot... We prefer heavier bullets in the .25's and on up.. But have also shot dozens with .22 caliber centerfires... But we can hunt antelope less than a mile from town and the season is 6 weeks. long..

Molon Labe
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
155 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 12 invisible), 1,465 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.